Movin' to the Sunshine: The 2015 NBA Offseason Thread

OnWis97

Hmm. I thought Love was going to move to the sunshine.

I think it would be hilarious if LeBron bolts. Then Love can be back in small-market hell for four more years (before getting a trade going into the last year).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm. I thought Love was going to move to the sunshine.

I think it would be hilarious if LeBron bolts. Then Love can be back in small-market hell for four more years (before getting a trade going into the last year).

LeBron has increased the value of Gilbert's franchise, but also took control of the franchise by returning. He has the power inside the franchise, period.

Gilbert's "penalty" for that comic sans letter which the team site kept up for four seasons came due this off season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/the-cavaliers-finally-removed-dan-gilbert-s-post--decision--letter-to-lebron-james-from-their-website-150215243.html

LeBron signs shorter contracts with player opt outs (to increase his cap number).

Making Gilbert payout a max contract to a LRMR (aka his) client.

Keeping Love so the luxury tax is paid.

Kings dump the salaries of Jason Thompson, Carl Landry, and Nik Staukas to the Sixers. Looks like they're going after Mathews and Rondo.

So after just one year, Nik doesn't "Rock" anymore?

Is it because he and his gal broke up?

http://thebiglead.com/2015/06/04/nik-stauskas-and-taylor-anderson-broke-up-according-to-high-school-twitter/

Better for both as she won't have to deal with Philly's testosterone filled males.

We officially have an East Coast v. West Coast "$hitshow Battle" circa 2015.

Even after f'ng with the Pelicans, don't the Sixers now believe..."We're all in the same gang!"?

As long as the Clips keep Jordan I think they have a decent chance at a title, but I will admit the Spurs and the Warriors will be tough obstacles to climb.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

As long as the Clips keep Jordan I think they have a decent chance at a title, but I will admit the Spurs and the Warriors will be tough obstacles to climb.

Well, to GET to the Finals, they well must beat both teams in the process.

But it will be difficult for both of them and HOU (possibly) too. Simce SAS never went to consecutive Finals until 2013-14, it's not as if they were always a lock. They went five years without a Finals appearance from '08-'12.

Kings dump the salaries of Jason Thompson, Carl Landry, and Nik Staukas to the Sixers. Looks like they're going after Mathews and Rondo.

What a trade for the Sixers!

PHI gets: Stauskas (who they really wanted), Thompson (who is from NJ), Landry, 2018/2019 top-10 protected 1st, right to swap 1sts in 2016 and 2017

SAC gets: one of our 800 2nds and the rights to two overseas stashes drafted last week (Gudaitis, Mitrovic)

(dance) (dance) (dance)

What a trade for the Sixers!

PHI gets: Stauskas (who they really wanted), Thompson (who is from NJ), Landry, 2018/2019 top-10 protected 1st

SAC gets: one of our 800 2nds and the rights to two overseas stashes drafted last week (Gudaitis, Mitrovic)

(dance) (dance) (dance)

Getting ANOTHER protected 1st round pick and loving it again means that you've had too much of the team's Kool-Aid. Landry and Thompson are not any good. CHI has a protected pick first.

The team will flip salaries to another team in 18 months.

They also got the right to swap 1sts in both 2016 and 2017, just in case the Sixers are never one of the five worst teams

Can you really build a team that way? Under the current NBA salary system nobody has?

Getting better with all draft picks will never work. The older picks will have to be traded under their system.

Top 3 NBA picks are typically 6'9" or bigger, so the Sixers are redrafing the same dude.

Cheap, but talented players never work in the NBA.

It's a really smart signing. Pierce might not have a lot left, but he's got enough left to be productive in the playoffs.

It kind of feels like we've hit the end of the road for the Buss Lakers. They've whiffed on every significant free agent since Steve Nash, and even he ended up being a big zero for the franchise. They love to talk about the legacy and benefits of being a Laker, but all they have to offer is a terrible coach, a past-his-prime Kobe who is not aging gracefully at all, and some admittedly terrific rookies who are a year or three away from being productive.

Inasmuch as I'm a fan of any one NBA team, it's probably the Lakers because I've enjoyed their success since the turn of the century. However, they're kind of stuck in neutral, if not reverse, and there doesn't seem to be an easy way out. Players are smart, and they want to find the best basketball situation. The Lakers are directionless these days, and there doesn't seem to be an easy or natural way to fix it.

The Chris Paul reversal may have set the franchise back farther than it initially seemed. It takes a certain sort of player to work with Kobe, and those two together might have either killed each other on the court, or gotten along fabulously as they're both sociopaths. The Howard gamble was a good one, but he's proved he's too much of a flake to be the franchise player the Lakers needed when they had him and tried to resign him.

Also, it's worth noting that the Buss family doesn't have outside money. Their wealth is completely tied up in the Lakers. This is in stark contrast to the new wave of oligarch owners. You can laugh at the idea of the Lakers being underdogs, but in the new world economy, they kind of are. There's no Microsoft or Russian Oil or telecom money. It's just sales of Magic jerseys and TV distribution rights keeping the franchise afloat. Of course, they could likely sell for double what the Clips got, but then they wouldn't quite be the Lakers anymore.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Jeannie needs to force her brother out and give full power to Mitch. Jim is the biggest problem.

Plus, if Kobe is retiring in a year or two why is he dictating the team's strategy? Any FA signing would have to deal with an annoying lame duck period before actually being able to do anything of substance on the court.

VmWIn6B.png

Well, to GET to the Finals, they well must beat both teams in the process.

But it will be difficult for both of them and HOU (possibly) too. Simce SAS never went to consecutive Finals until 2013-14, it's not as if they were always a lock. They went five years without a Finals appearance from '08-'12.

The Spurs will almost surely have an upgraded lineup this year with LMA saying that he doesn't want to be a Laker, so I'd say they'll at least be a top 3 team in the West with a lineup like this.

PG- Parker

SG- Ginobili/Green

SF- Leonard

PF- Duncan

C- LMA

97uyh0.jpg

And my Rate Your Music

Greg Monroe to the Bucks. They're gonna be decent if Parker stays healthy.

Sad to see him go, but there's no way to keep him and Drummond. Hopefully Stanley Johnson develops into a solid PF.

I started this thread. And the title I gave it was obviously a cynical commentary about who gets free agents and who does not...

And what a crazy year this has been (for two days). Monroe goes to Milwaukee after being pursued by the Lakers and Knicks. Let that set in. That's flat out bizzare. Kevin Love stays in Cleveland (OK, the Cavs are sort an an honorary big market team right now, but still...). Nobody seems to want to play for the teams that traditionally "matter" in terms of big media attention. Sure, San Antonio can pull 'em in but I have never seen the Lakers struggle like this. Why can't the Knicks and Lakers get anyone?

Knicks: Have they just been a mess for too long? Maybe nobody envisions having an opportunity to win there?

Lakers: Kobe's an ass? (true, but is that why?) Uncertainty of what happens after Kobe's retirement? Just too many good teams in the west so guys may want to go to the east? Is Buss just doing that poorly?

Maybe the Lakers will pull off a couple of good signings and all will be right with the world. But right now, it does not look like a destination of choice.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Maybe people think that they would have a better chance of winning it all with a promising young core instead of an aging superstar?

I wonder if the Lakers and Knicks aren't really in play most of the time but the media just kinda likes to put them in there for clicks.

97uyh0.jpg

And my Rate Your Music

Yeah. The Lakers are in Kobe limbo. Plus my other longer post about how perhaps the game has changed.

Also, the Knicks have been mostly not great since the 70s. People talk about the Knicks being a marquee franchise, but they generally aren't very good. The 94 run was good, the 99 run was a fluke, and Carmelo won't ever be great. So maybe Porzingis turns into the next Kevin Garnett, but otherwise, that franchise is just treading water.

Players are smarter these days, and want to be in the best basketball situation. And perhaps not have the responsibility that comes with being the guy in LA.

The NBA is weird sometimes. Its best teams are in some of its worst locations.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Greg Monroe to the Bucks. They're gonna be decent if Parker stays healthy.

Sad to see him go, but there's no way to keep him and Drummond. Hopefully Stanley Johnson develops into a solid PF.

I started this thread. And the title I gave it was obviously a cynical commentary about who gets free agents and who does not...

And what a crazy year this has been (for two days). Monroe goes to Milwaukee after being pursued by the Lakers and Knicks. Let that set in. That's flat out bizzare. Kevin Love stays in Cleveland (OK, the Cavs are sort an an honorary big market team right now, but still...). Nobody seems to want to play for the teams that traditionally "matter" in terms of big media attention. Sure, San Antonio can pull 'em in but I have never seen the Lakers struggle like this. Why can't the Knicks and Lakers get anyone?

Knicks: Have they just been a mess for too long? Maybe nobody envisions having an opportunity to win there?

Lakers: Kobe's an ass? (true, but is that why?) Uncertainty of what happens after Kobe's retirement? Just too many good teams in the west so guys may want to go to the east? Is Buss just doing that poorly?

Maybe the Lakers will pull off a couple of good signings and all will be right with the world. But right now, it does not look like a destination of choice.

Monroe made the right choice. A solid young core with a potential future superstar in Jabari Parker, is easily his best chance to win a title over the Lakers (name 3 people on the roster not named Kobe Bryant) or Knicks (seems to be the career graveyard), or at least make the postseason. The man's never been in the playoffs.

Plus, he's playing in Milwaukee. He's not going to be scrutinized like he would in LA or NY. As a Pistons fan, I wish him well. He played hard every night and never got the recognition he deserved because of playing on an awful team.

But yea, wasn't this the summer the Lakers were supposed to go all out for FAs? Being Kobe's last year and all (supposedly), it's pretty much do or die time.

sig.png

Archived