Hartford Whalers 2007 Logo Redesign

ForwardProgress

Hi guys!

Back in late 2005 / early 2006 (I can't remember exactly when) I sketched out an idea for what the Hartford Whalers logo would look like if it was updated at the time. Here is the sketch:

47399d383011e4a44c9b914946f1c77d.jpg

Now, I was really proud of it when I finished because I thought it looked really cool and badass and aggressive (making the logo more aggressive actually being one of the goals of the 1992 redesign) but for some reason I threw the sketch in a box and pretty much forgot about it for almost 10 years.

I recently found the sketch and decided to make a finished vector art version of it. Here it is, with embellishments inspired by the 1992 redesign:

ba2600bb1491aea15525b34324ad682e.png

Now, since I did the original sketch in late 2005 / early 2006, I figured the year this logo would have debuted on team jerseys and merchandise would have been 2007, especially since design officially looks vintage 15 years after it was created, and the last time the Whalers logo was redesigned was 1992, so 2007 is pretty much the sweet spot time period for when the Whalers could have gotten a logo and uniform overhaul if the team still existed.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think about this redesigned logo. See if you can guess what my influences were / what I had in mind when I sketched it out. I'd also love to hear what the sketch and finished logos remind you of. It would be really cool to know if my stylistic choices for this redesign came through or not. Maybe they are too obvious? My designs are definitely NOT known for their subtlety so I'd be shocked if nobody guesses correctly, lol.

It kind of has a Transformers logo vibe to it. Bionic Bonanza!

In all seriousness, though, that's a cool redesign. I think it captures the cleverness/classic core of the original Whalers logo but adds an edgier new feel to it. It looks very 2000's (it's from 2005/2006, duh), which is certainly not a bad thing. Great job on the sketch idea and the vectoring!

ICXC NIKA

The essence of a whale's shape is its curves. I can't see a whale in this logo at all, and the charm of the original Whalers logo is that it can be read two ways, as a monogram and as a whale.

rATMcmK.png

While I don't think it's better than the actual logo, I could believe this would have happened for a decade or so if the Whalers did stay. It's a decent modernization but it just doesn't replace the original.

Too many outlines. You original sketch is very bold and dynamic without any. I'll echo what Whittier said, the curves of the original are what made you realize it was a whale, this is too jagged and robotic, but it's an interesting take on a modernized verion.

It kind of has a Transformers logo vibe to it. Bionic Bonanza!

In all seriousness, though, that's a cool redesign. I think it captures the cleverness/classic core of the original Whalers logo but adds an edgier new feel to it. It looks very 2000's (it's from 2005/2006, duh), which is certainly not a bad thing. Great job on the sketch idea and the vectoring!

Bingo! Yep, the 1980's Decepticons logo played a huge part in inspiring this redesign. Also the F-117 Stealth Fighter with it's sharp, angular lines and diamond-like faceted design was a huge influence.

I think the final result definitely makes what was a somewhat tame symbol more aggressive, edgier, and modern looking.

Thanks for all the kind words bro! :)

The essence of a whale's shape is its curves. I can't see a whale in this logo at all, and the charm of the original Whalers logo is that it can be read two ways, as a monogram and as a whale.

I think what you're getting at is the old Whalers logos were more organic looking and that made sense since a whale is an organic being.

I agree with you that my redesign isn't organic at all; it's a more stylized / angular circa mid-2000's update to the 1992 Whalers logo redesign, which was in itself a less organic and more stylized version of the original logo which was designed in 1979. So my 2007 redesign is just a possible "what if" concept on the progression / evolution of the Whalers logo.

It's pretty hard to replace a logo like that of the original Whalers. It's a cool design for a team but I'm not sure the Whalers. Props for trying though! That Whalers logo is one of the "Untouchables" recognized in sports.

Overall for a logo: 8/10

TWolf

While I don't think it's better than the actual logo, I could believe this would have happened for a decade or so if the Whalers did stay. It's a decent modernization but it just doesn't replace the original.

Updates / redesigns to sports logos are often not considered better than the originals and it usually takes time for fans to get used to the new version. Thank you for believing my redesign could have happened, it makes me feel my vision is legit. And I actually agree with you that it doesn't replace the original, I just think my redesign or something like it totally could have appeared in the mid 2000's if the Whalers never moved.

Too many outlines. You original sketch is very bold and dynamic without any. I'll echo what Whittier said, the curves of the original are what made you realize it was a whale, this is too jagged and robotic, but it's an interesting take on a modernized verion.

Yeah, I actually didn't intend on including any outlines, but the 1992 Whalers logo has them and I figured since my redesign would hypothetically be the next logo to come after the 1992 version I thought it was a possibility that the outlines would carry over to the new logo. Plus when I made the original vector version without the outlines, it looked like something was missing and the logo wasn't jumping off the white background. I tried darkening the colors and that helped but I think in the mid 2000's the Whalers would have switched to a Seahawks-like neon green instead of forest green, and the neon green was not bold enough to make the logo leap from the white background. So that is why I added the silver background and the outlines in tribute to the 1992 version.

It looks way more '90s than 2007, to be honest.

You can't be serious. In what ways does it look 90's? I'd be very curious to know, because angular / faceted design was all the rage in the 2000's. Ever look at cars that came out in the 2000's? Cadillacs especially are very angular and faceted. Just watch the highway scene in The Matrix Reloaded and you'll see.

I would actually like to see uniforms with these, now that I'm thinking of it!

I don't know if I'd ever get around to that but if anyone else wants to take a stab at it feel free! :)

I can try. Send me a Direct Message to say what you want and I'll do it! You're the artist!

TWolf

Designed the logo and jersey. Thoughts? (Sorry if I needed permission, I thought I'd take a stab at it.)

CEh05zUUMAAwpwG.png

No permission needed, I said anyone could take a stab at it in a previous post. Anyway, my thoughts on your jersey concepts based on my logo concept: I'd love to see numbers on the backs, especially in a font that mirrors the angular / jagged / faceted style of my logo. (I'm thinking the font the Tampa Bay Buccaneers use would work really well.) As far as the jersey designs go, I like the green jersey with the all-white logo which is kind of a throwback to the 80's Whalers jerseys but with a modern twist. I like the white jersey in the same way. The blue jersey is a nice alternate / third jersey and a nice take on the classic green jersey since it also has the all-white logo.

As far as things that could be improved: I think the jersey stripes should be angular or v-shaped to mirror the angular logo. Maybe have chevrons on the sleeves instead of straight stripes? I'm actually going to do a sketch of a jersey in this style (with angled stripes and chevrons) and timberwolf is gonna make a color mockup of it for me so we'll see how it looks regardless.

One more thing that could be improved: I'm not sure why you added curves to the bottom part of the whale tail but they shouldn't be there. The curves were the first thing I noticed and they stuck out like a sore thumb because the rest of the logo has straight angled lines. If you are going to make adjustments to this mock up please straighten those curves and make them look how they look in my finished concept (maybe you thought these lines are curved in my original sketch? They kinda do look a little curved but they are supposed to be straight / angled lines.) Also the two little points pointing up in the top center of the whale tale should be flattened out. Those weren't in my original sketch or finished version.)

Lastly: please add that the logo concept is by Forward Progress. You can obviously take all the credit that you want for the jerseys but I just want people to know that the logo was created by me. Thanks

Archived