OKC Thunder (updated 07/26/16)

j'villejags

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

The blue-yellow colorway is really nice. I would stick with that. And the updated uniforms looks way better. That said, I'm not crazy about how bright the home alternate looks.

Lastly--and sorry to say--I'm still not getting the lightning, even with the update. I keep visualizing the bolt as an altered version of the Tampa Bay Lightning bolt (get rid of the top third of the bolt and make it more upright).

97hhvk8e5if0riesnex30etgz.gif

Honestly it felt a little forced to me as I was trying to make it work. I wasn't sure if I should go full-on lightning bolt while compromising the shape of the K but I think I'm going to try it. I ended up trying to do a little of both, (a little bit of lightning while maintaining the shape for the arm/leg of the K) -- which probably wasn't the best way to go. I appreciate your feedback.

I prefer the blue/yellow as well but there was enough people that wanted to see it that I gave it a shot. I'm planning on reverting back to blue/yellow, cleaning it up a bit more, and maybe tweaking the yellow.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

The blue-yellow colorway is really nice. I would stick with that. And the updated uniforms looks way better. That said, I'm not crazy about how bright the home alternate looks.

Lastly--and sorry to say--I'm still not getting the lightning, even with the update. I keep visualizing the bolt as an altered version of the Tampa Bay Lightning bolt (get rid of the top third of the bolt and make it more upright).

97hhvk8e5if0riesnex30etgz.gif

Honestly it felt a little forced to me as I was trying to make it work. I wasn't sure if I should go full-on lightning bolt while compromising the shape of the K but I think I'm going to try it. I ended up trying to do a little of both, (a little bit of lightning while maintaining the shape for the arm/leg of the K) -- which probably wasn't the best way to go. I appreciate your feedback.

I prefer the blue/yellow as well but there was enough people that wanted to see it that I gave it a shot. I'm planning on reverting back to blue/yellow, cleaning it up a bit more, and maybe tweaking the yellow.

I don't know why I haven't commented on this before, but in my opinion the K in the OKC logo just doesn't work. It doesn't look like a lightning bolt to me--I thought it was supposed to be some sort of nod to more Native American artwork--and the different color seems odd to me. I would suggest making the bottom leg of the K into a lightning bolt but leave the top of the K alone (and don't make it a different color).

award%20sig.png

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the late bump. I just wanted to follow up with the final update for those that were following. Here's the link to the full project:  https://www.behance.net/gallery/40914003/Re-Branding-the-Oklahoma-City-Thunder

I dropped the orange and reverted back to slightly modified version of the original, "stormy" color palette. The primary logo is a direct reference to the state flag. I tweaked the bolt K and went back to a native pattern.

7bbd4140914003.57955ea3532fb.png

b15ed540914003.5791ba6362c01.png

d88f1240914003.5791ba6363142.png

65354340914003.5791ba63636e3.png

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

The blue, black and yellow look great.

I think the design looks good aesthetically but the lightening bolt looks way too much like the double lightning Nazi SS insignia to be appropriate for a jersey in my opinion. The insignia not only represents a historical atrocity but is used by white supremacists in the US to this day.

1 hour ago, New_Member said:

The blue, black and yellow look great.

I think the design looks good aesthetically but the lightening bolt looks way too much like the double lightning Nazi SS insignia to be appropriate for a jersey in my opinion. The insignia not only represents a historical atrocity but is used by white supremacists in the US to this day.

Damn, I loved the design until you pointed that out, now I can't unsee it...

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

The logo itself doesn't feel strong or like it belongs with the rest of the NBA identities.

The wordmark & uniforms however do feel strong, like they're an idea for a good identity there.

The one thing I feel this design needs is a really strong mark using the OKC wordmark you made as the basis.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2015 at 7:45 PM, j'villejags said:

Here's another OKC concept for you guys. Sorry, I have seen a few on here lately and thought about holding off on posting this. I think it's because of the thread about OKC being due for a rebrand on the main board. At least that was the thread that made me want to put my spin on it.

Oklahoma actually has an pretty unique history despite being considered a flyover state. I based the side pattern on some traditional Native American patterns you might see around the state.

I have never cared for the color scheme for OKC. I went with an electric blue, electric yellow, and a stormy gray for the colors.

For the wordmark, I just wanted to come up with something new and a bit different. I don't like the way Oklahoma City fits on a jersey. I included a barb (for lack of a better word) on the side of the O with the intention of adding a bit of a western feel. It actually forms a triangle with the stem of the K, which wasn't intentional. The arm and leg of the K are meant to double as a lightning bolt and it's repeated in the pattern.

Overall, these are pretty loud but that's what I was going for. I had Russell Westbrook in mind. :P

Home

okcthunder1.png

Away

okcthunder2.png

Home Alternate

okcthunder3.png

Away Alternate

okcthunder4.png

Thoughts? C&C always welcome.

I would ditch the yellow and go with red-orange. Cyan (or what people call "Powder Blue") and red-orange would work out. Plus keep the pattern, BUT make the K in OKC look like a lightning bolt style. Sorry if this thread is too old, but I stumbled across this looking up for concepts on players who wear visors for medical reasons on Google!

On 7/25/2016 at 11:51 PM, j'villejags said:

Sorry for the late bump. I just wanted to follow up with the final update for those that were following. Here's the link to the full project:  https://www.behance.net/gallery/40914003/Re-Branding-the-Oklahoma-City-Thunder

I dropped the orange and reverted back to slightly modified version of the original, "stormy" color palette. The primary logo is a direct reference to the state flag. I tweaked the bolt K and went back to a native pattern.

7bbd4140914003.57955ea3532fb.png

b15ed540914003.5791ba6362c01.png

d88f1240914003.5791ba6363142.png

65354340914003.5791ba63636e3.png

Nevermind, you did it! Just kept the "Powder Blue" (Cyan in my eyes) and neon yellow color.

Archived