Uniform matchups that never happened

13 minutes ago, crosfam said:

The way SB 40 was supposed to look (until the Steelers chose to wear whites).  The Seahawks whites would have looked great indoors on the Ford Stadium turf.

09000d5d82255b6c_gallery_600.jpg

23427-steelers-vs_-seahawks-63609.jpg

I forget how different that steel blue for Seattle was compared to what they use now.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

I forget how different that steel blue for Seattle was compared to what they use now.

I liked it. I was unique to them. Now they're just another navy team. I would have been happy with Slate blue and gray with lime green accents.

But apparently Nike had issues with the slate blue so they pushed Seattle towards navy.

On 2/2/2017 at 9:10 AM, crosfam said:

The way SB 40 was supposed to look (until the Steelers chose to wear whites).  The Seahawks whites would have looked great indoors on the Ford Stadium turf.

09000d5d82255b6c_gallery_600.jpg

23427-steelers-vs_-seahawks-63609.jpg

This matchup didn't happen in the Super Bowl, but it's clearly not true that it "never happened" at all.

This could have been a cool-looking matchup that almost happened, but we missed it by a year.  That Hornets jersey debuted in 2002, that Grizzlies jersey was last used in 2001.

45e664aab2344710316e0eeb73137365.jpgapfupcnmia0q7oaggfkuqf27z.gif

I guess in the bigger scheme of things, we also never saw a Vancouver vs. New Orleans NBA matchup.

EDIT: I guess this is a bad example because in Memphis the Grizzlies kept basically the same uniform.  Well, at least I tried.  Maybe I'll do better next time.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if it's been brought up, but we never got to see the Baltimore Ravens' inaugural uniforms, winged B-shield and all...

Testaverde_Vinny_Ravens.jpg

...face off with any team named the Cleveland Browns:

8950614-large.jpg

As the Ravens switched to their current bird-head logo and (largely untouched) current set in 1999 when Cleveland Browns v2.0 started. Similarly, given that the Oilers also became the Titans in 1999, no team named the Cleveland Browns has played the Oilers since 1995 and Browns v2.0 has never played a team named the Oilers (whether in Houston or Tennessee).

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

In 2002, the Kings swapped their primary and alternate logos on their main set and 3rd jersey. That season was also the last of the Phoenix Coyotes kachina set. The teams met 5 times with 2 games in LA. The first one was the home opener where the Kings retired Gretzky's #99 so they threw back to his white Chevy jersey. In the other match-up, LA wore their updated purple 3rd jersey.

Long story short, these 2 jerseys never met.

fhbzt2bphdendi71815cefufg.gif

3vs98ihe0ofzzp56hnez6rm2v.gif

p6hvspd7a71zejxasee9cg8el.gifheji7agw59ll21pphnvx4btjt.gif8-lakers-kobe-bryant-sunday-white-jersey.jpg

In 2002-03, Portland/Sacramento altered their unis and the Lakers debuted their white Sunday/Christmas home jerseys.

The first time we saw that Laker uni was on Christmas Day 2002 vs. the Kings a year after those jerseys got overhauled.

They did get to play the Jags in both sets, since they were in the same division for two seasons before changing to the Titans.

But the Oilers did not play the Jags in the blue pants. The Oilers dropped the blue pants when they moved to Memphis and kept the all-white look for '98 in Nashville.

Archived