Uniform matchups that never happened

Oilers and Ravens were in the same division until the Browns came back in 1999. They should've played twice as the Oilers.

You're right, they played twice in '96 but I cannot find any images on Google of this matchup where the Oilers wore blue.

You might be right too. I did a search for that specific date and the only picture with a Raven player and Eddie George has him wearing the white jersey, thought eh information attached says Baltimore Stadium. Unfortunately both teams were playing in stadiums they weren't staying in long term so there's nothing on the walls to identify what stadium they are at.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Oilers and Ravens were in the same division until the Browns came back in 1999. They should've played twice as the Oilers.

You're right, they played twice in '96 but I cannot find any images on Google of this matchup where the Oilers wore blue.

You might be right too. I did a search for that specific date and the only picture with a Raven player and Eddie George has him wearing the white jersey, thought eh information attached says Baltimore Stadium. Unfortunately both teams were playing in stadiums they weren't staying in long term so there's nothing on the walls to identify what stadium they are at.

They played six times between the arrival of the Ravens and the departure of the Oilers. The Oilers wore light blue in the '96 matchup in Houston: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/longterm/ravens/week3.htm

I could not for the life of me find a picture that showed what they wore for their lone matchup in Memphis, and the team wore white at home when they played at Vanderbilt: http://www.knoxnews.com/news/titans-predators-celebrate-15-years-nashville

If the Nordiques hadn't moved after 1995, we would have gotten potentially the goofiest hockey uni matchup ever:

Not really. While it's out there compared to their previous uniforms, the Nordiques' proposed uniforms are quite conservative compared to the Fishsticks uniforms.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

One matchup that never happened was Wildwing and the Fishsticks. That will be the name of my future Glam Metal Band. :P I think that would have been easily considered a classic matchup on this site... for all the wrong reasons. XD

This was wasted on the Panthers...when a matchup against another similar-era throwback would have been great to see:

155473964_8.jpg?w=594

A color-on-color game with the Packers would have been great!

packers-throwbacks.jpg

Or Bears:

tempbears_vs_packers_121612_13--nfl_mezz

They had a chance to wear them against the Steelers, but did not.

600.jpg

Really? I didn't think it was wasted, I like that match up and the one with the chargers when they wore their regular helmets in 2013-14. On an unrelated note I remember this girl I know was like the panthers are gonna lose cause i know the panthers and i was like no the redskins are gonna lose. I know the redskins. I forget who won that game...wait it was Carolina. after that the redskins won 7 in a row.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but I don't think the '29 Yankees ever played Bo's Raiders.

$T2eC16V,!)UE9s3wCOmbBRjZby2mhQ~~60_35.Jdfa7d905fba3432bfab4260fb1f632e2.jpg

I'm sure you're all shocked.

RegalMasculineFlea.gif

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

In addition, that was during the Peyton/Tee Martin/Championship era at Tennessee and the Oilers were on a huge downtick at the time. I was still an Oiler fan for the first two seasons they were in Tennessee as it was hard to let go. I remember one of the few decent sized crowds being a preseason game where most people showed up just to watch Heath Shuler play for the Redskins.

If the Nordiques hadn't moved after 1995, we would have gotten potentially the goofiest hockey uni matchup ever:

c72hgmvtcvxu8bmqvogo.gif

c6s8kazwo0xc0ju4ik8soi4gh.gif

i kinda like this match up.

Was that Quebec jersey an alternate that never saw the light of day? This is the first time I've ever seen that one.

Was that Quebec jersey an alternate that never saw the light of day? This is the first time I've ever seen that one.

They were part of a proposed redesign of the team that never came to fruition because of the move to Colorado. Here's the accompanying light version:

vOYcM.png

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

In addition, that was during the Peyton/Tee Martin/Championship era at Tennessee and the Oilers were on a huge downtick at the time. I was still an Oiler fan for the first two seasons they were in Tennessee as it was hard to let go. I remember one of the few decent sized crowds being a preseason game where most people showed up just to watch Heath Shuler play for the Redskins.

Heath Shuler was on the Saints for the two years the Oilers were in Tennessee. The Saints and Oilers played each other the first preseason game of 1997, and the crowd was 22,000...smaller than the 24,000 person crowd that watched the Redskins and Oilers one week later.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

If I remember correctly,the 1996 Eagles never faced the Tennessee Oilers.

Most every team in 1996 never faced the Tennessee Oilers :)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived