Random Thought: Capitals vs. Capitols

rmackman

I was watching the New York Rangers vs Washington Capitals game the other night with my girlfriend. She is originally from Venezuela, so I had to explain to her why Washington named their team the Capitals. then I explained to her why the alternate logo has the capitol building as part of the negative space in the W.

Her next question to me was, "I thought you spell the word capitol with an O if it refers to a building." She is absolutely 100% right, and now I find it weird that the Washington Capitals have their name spelled improperly. Does anyone know why they decided to do this?

NOTE: As this post clearly relates to grammar, I apologize for any typos. I am using speech to text on my mobile phone to post this.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Pre-Capitals, there was a BAA/NBA team named the Washington Capitols.

washingtoncapitols.gif?w=100&h=120

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

They were named after them being in the Capital, and since the Capitol is one of the landmarks in DC it eventually made its way into their logos. No different than the Washington Monument being the Wizards logo

Or the NY Rangers Statue of Liberty alternate. No one complained about the team name then and the team wasn't trying to call Lady Liberty a park ranger. Just because something is represented on the uniform, doesn't mean the team has to be named after it.

New York Statues:

Leetch1.jpg

Oh look, the Golden State Bridges.

0820_stephen-curry-3_1024x576.jpg

87Redskins.png

I was watching the New York Rangers vs Washington Capitals game the other night with my girlfriend. She is originally from Venezuela, so I had to explain to her why Washington named their team the Capitals. then I explained to her why the alternate logo has the capitol building as part of the negative space in the W.

Her next question to me was, "I thought you spell the word capitol with an O if it refers to a building." She is absolutely 100% right, and now I find it weird that the Washington Capitals have their name spelled improperly. Does anyone know why they decided to do this?

NOTE: As this post clearly relates to grammar, I apologize for any typos. I am using speech to text on my mobile phone to post this.

they're the 'Capitals" in the sense that DC is the "capital" of the United States. They are not named after the "Capitol" building.

Here's a handy guide:

http://grammarist.com/usage/capitol-capital/

Thread is an elaborate humblebrag about the OP's Venezuelan girlfriend.

I completely passed over those details.

OP will need to provide photographic proof or it never happened.

87Redskins.png

That's pretty much what I took away from this too...

That's incorrect. Those details were merely to set up the actual question. If I were to summarize the entire post in one sentence, all that matters is this:

Why are the Washington Capitals spelling their name with "A" instead of "O" when they are named for being in the Capitol of the United States of America? That is all.

What is interesting, is that is the only part of my post that nobody has commented on, or even answered. The comment about the NY Rangers alternate, or the Golden Gate Bridge on the Warriors uniform, made no sense in relation to the original post. I had stated that I already knew why the team was given its nickname. I also stated the reason for having the capitol building in the alternate logo. There was no need to expand on that since I stated a fact, not an opinion.

The point of the girlfriend mention was simply because I was not the one who noticed the issue. She was. The point of mentioning her nationality was to add color to the story. In any story, or comment, you should have a WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, WHY. It creates a complete picture.

So now, does anyone have a real answer to the question?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

If I were to summarize the entire post in one sentence, all that matters is this:

Why are the Washington Capitals spelling their name with "A" instead of "O" when they are named for being in the Capitol of the United States of America? That is all.

Your question contains a factually inaccurate statement. They were not named for "being in the Capitol of the United States of America," because as your astute girlfriend pointed out, "Capitol" refers to the building. "Capital" refers to a city that serves as a center of government.

The hockey team was named for being in the Capital of the United States of America. Not in the building. The building is often used as a symbol for the city, the way that the Empire State Building or Statue of Liberty is used as a symbol for New York City. But the hockey team is named for the city.

So their name is indeed spelled properly.

The point of mentioning her nationality was to add color to the story.

lol

But come on, man, I didn't just fall off the turnip truck here. I wouldn't have said something if you weren't up to the same tricks you've been up to before. Yes, you're a blandly handsome bro who takes his picture with blandly attractive girls and posts them here. We're all duly impressed. I've taken mental inventory of this because I've never taken mental inventory of anything else you've ever said.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't think he was bragging. I've seen a lot of posters on here mention their girlfriends when explaining a situation, especially if it involves their girlfriend, obviously. It's just giving context / telling the full story.

come on man, you know they are lying, noone here on these boards have a girlfriend.

I know mom never would let ME have one, and i am fine with it, i am content with living down here in the basement.... as long as i have internet access and 2 meals a day, i am happy

That's pretty much what I took away from this too...

That's incorrect. Those details were merely to set up the actual question. If I were to summarize the entire post in one sentence, all that matters is this:

What is interesting, is that is the only part of my post that nobody has commented on, or even answered. The comment about the NY Rangers alternate, or the Golden Gate Bridge on the Warriors uniform, made no sense in relation to the original post. I had stated that I already knew why the team was given its nickname. I also stated the reason for having the capitol building in the alternate logo. There was no need to expand on that since I stated a fact, not an opinion.

The point of the girlfriend mention was simply because I was not the one who noticed the issue. She was. The point of mentioning her nationality was to add color to the story. In any story, or comment, you should have a WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, WHY. It creates a complete picture.

So now, does anyone have a real answer to the question?

I posted one, you either missed it or just ignored it. Post #9. Scroll up.

They're not named for the Capitol building. It wasn't until the rebrand in the mid 90's that they ever even had a logo that used the Capitol building so they existed for 20+ years before introducing a logo depicting the Capitol building. They barely have one now.

They're named the Capitals because DC is the capital of the United States. It's that simple.

and if it wasn't a humblebrag it was at least an overshare.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't think he was bragging. I've seen a lot of posters on here mention their girlfriends when explaining a situation, especially if it involves their girlfriend, obviously. It's just giving context / telling the full story.

come on man, you know they are lying, noone here on these boards have a girlfriend.

I know mom never would let ME have one, and i am fine with it, i am content with living down here in the basement.... as long as i have internet access and 2 meals a day, i am happy

I have 2 girlfriends that my mom has no idea about...Lucy and Rosie. I alternate nights between the 2 ladies. But yes, anyway, the Capitals is the right spelling. :)

Thank you to those who replied to the actual question. I appreciate it. Those who wanted to act like "trolls," c'est la vie.

spacer.png

Archived