2015/16 International Football

Crabcake

James Milner has agreed to join Liverpool.

Manager news. Benfica boss Jorge Jesus could be about to skip across Lisbon to Sporting, according to local media due to a salary dispute.

Dick Advocaat has performed a U-turn and will stay as Sunderland head coach after accepting a new one-year deal.

glory10.png

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liverpool have won the Danny Ings race. No fee agreed upon yet but Burnley has said that the two clubs have agreed to a deal.

spacer.png

Hey guys, just a bit of housekeeping here.

I don’t really think transfers need their own thread; we don’t have enough discussion as it is in International Football and Domestic Soccer to warrant a separate thread for transfers.

With that said, all of this pertains to the 2015/16 season, so I’ve gone ahead and changed the title here to be the 2015/16 International Football thread. I’ll remove the “formerly” part of the title in a couple days.

Cheers!

6fQjS3M.png

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33028189

Scottish teams say they might prefer moving to a summer schedule. I think this might actually be a benefit to them financially. They won't be fighting against the Premier League and Championship for viewers in July and they can use that to sell their product.

A couple reasons it might not happen:

1. Celtic says no

2. World Cup and Euro's every other year. The easiest thing to do is arrange a split season or build in a 2 week break similar to MLS, but that still leaves some games going up against bigger fare.

I also think this move would help them get more exposure in the US. Currently I think Gol TV is the only way to watch the SPL on regular TV.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Scottish teams say they might prefer moving to a summer schedule.

I think this is a great idea in theory but falls down for a few reasons in reality.

Although there won't be any other football on TV to compete against there are other summer sports. Fans (and players, remember that most of Scottish football is not full-time professional) also will be going on summer holidays. The international tournaments you mention is also a good point.

You don't really solve any of the problems, you just move them around a bit. Besides, the quality of the football is so poor up there, maybe it's best that they don't have the best TV exposure.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Scottish teams say they might prefer moving to a summer schedule.

You don't really solve any of the problems, you just move them around a bit. Besides, the quality of the football is so poor up there, maybe it's best that they don't have the best TV exposure.

Hopefully this helps get them a bit more in their pocket and that gets better players on the field. I wonder if it would lead to competition between players finishing their careers in Scotland versus the USA. I think MLS would still get teh lions share of players looking for one more run in the sunshine but what if a 35 or 36 year old Robin Van Persie decided to stay closer to home rather than playing in Asia or the USA?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Lionel Messi has moved a step closer to being tried for tax evasion after a Spanish high court rejected his latest appeal.

The Argentine and his father Jorge are both accused of defrauding the authorities of more than €4m (£3.1m).

The court ruled that Messi should not be granted impunity for not knowing what was happening with his finances.

The pair, who deny the charges, are alleged to have withheld the money between 2007 and 2009.

glory10.png

quality of the football is so poor up there, maybe it's best that they don't have the best TV exposure.

Hopefully this helps get them a bit more in their pocket and that gets better players on the field. I wonder if it would lead to competition between players finishing their careers in Scotland versus the USA. I think MLS would still get teh lions share of players looking for one more run in the sunshine but what if a 35 or 36 year old Robin Van Persie decided to stay closer to home rather than playing in Asia or the USA?

The Scottish game is still recovering from the last time they tried to invest in foreign talent. Granted, it wasn't high calibre talent. I don't think playing in summer would give them enough money to compete with MLS, Qatar etc. Unless every team in the SPL was bought by an oil tycoon or something.

The best thing that a boost in money could do to Scottish football would be that more of their international squad would have an incentive to be based in the country rather than plying their trade in England. It's currently at about 65% of the squad being based in England.

It's still an interesting thought. But as I said earlier, the reasons not to move to a summer season probably still outweigh the reasons to do it.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Scottish teams say they might prefer moving to a summer schedule. I think this might actually be a benefit to them financially. They won't be fighting against the Premier League and Championship for viewers in July and they can use that to sell their product.

A couple reasons it might not happen:

1. Celtic says no

2. World Cup and Euro's every other year. The easiest thing to do is arrange a split season or build in a 2 week break similar to MLS, but that still leaves some games going up against bigger fare.

I also think this move would help them get more exposure in the US. Currently I think Gol TV is the only way to watch the SPL on regular TV.

And moving to a Summer schedule will assist GOLtv how?

The Scottish rights will be less than whatever the Bundadliga earns now in their last year. GOLtv is in its final stages and isn't worth keeping by any carrier.

Hey guys, just a bit of housekeeping here.

I don’t really think transfers need their own thread; we don’t have enough discussion as it is in International Football and Domestic Soccer to warrant a separate thread for transfers.

With that said, all of this pertains to the 2015/16 season, so I’ve gone ahead and changed the title here to be the 2015/16 International Football thread. I’ll remove the “formerly” part of the title in a couple days.

Cheers!

So we can still post transfers?

spacer.png

And moving to a Summer schedule will assist GOLtv how?

The Scottish rights will be less than whatever the Bundadliga earns now in their last year. GOLtv is in its final stages and isn't worth keeping by any carrier.

Which is why I wonder if ESPN would be willing to put their games on ESPN2 and ESPN3. The games would be early enough in the day that they wouldn't clash with MLS directly. ESPN U could be used as well since most of their programming would be reruns of football and basketball in June and July.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Arsenal have been charged with allegedly breaching football agents regulations over the transfer of Calum Chambers from Southampton.

The Gunners have until 26 June to respond to the Football Association after requesting more time but insist they "acted in good faith".

Agent Alan Middleton has also been charged and has until 17 June to respond to the FA.

Wales are one step closer to appearing in a major finals after 57 years with a lone Gareth Bale goal to beat Belgium.

This is now Wales' best start to any qualifying campaign. They are unbeaten in six games, three points clear of second-placed Belgium and five ahead of third-placed Israel.

With Euro 2016 expanded to 24 teams, the top two sides in each qualifying group are automatically assured of their places

glory10.png

What a great night in Cardiff last night! The stadium was rocking as both sets of fans created the best atmosphere at any game I've been to.One question - Nainggolan WTF? But thanks anyway!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bgw07JZzog

The Right will always be wrong,

Conservatives-Dragging the world kicking and screaming into the 19th century.

Not only are Wales in a great position to qualify for EURO 2016, but they’ll also be one of nine nations in the top pot in July’s draw for 2018 World Cup Qualifying.

As will Romania, which has the potential to make it a very, very interesting set of World Cup qualifiers over in Europe.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived