Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils concept logo

mcrosby

I wanted to work on a smaller school for a change, and MVSU's terrible logo seemed like a great place to start.

With a name like "Delta Devils" it is a crying shame they don't use one of the more classic devil poses, with a nice high collar in the shape of a V, or...wait for it...a delta. As usual, I'm not 100% on this yet, but I know I can rely on the boards to help me get there. So lets hear that C&C.

Old logo:

MVSU_Delta_Devils_Athletics_Logo1.jpg

WIP:

JDPicN5.png

thats really solid, love what you did with the A in STATE. i think the face's shading could be eliminated though and it would be stronger. i was thinking of ways to add more shadow to it to be a bit more realistic but you would probably lose some key lines that make the connection with the A. i would suggest taking the left side of the face and reflecting it on the right side. keep it all symmetrical and it won't look like he's got a Phantom mask on or something.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

gT9c6qA.png

Good update on the eyes. This is my favorite of the versions you've posted so far. However, his face seems a bit wide to me. I think it's that bit of orange that extends up on the left side and comes to a point. I'm not sure that's necessary.

gYH2mW9.png

Really like the idea here, Mark.

The mouth and nose are drawing the most attention for improvement for me. Something about the seemingly perfect squared off teeth isn't striking the right chord. Just my opinion, but when I'm thinking "devils" I immediately want to visualize more of a beast and less humanoid and put together looking, though that may be your intent.

Some dents in the horns could add character quite easily, too.

Looking forward to watching this progress.

Really good start, and it's clearly a huge improvement.

Really like the idea here, Mark.

The mouth and nose are drawing the most attention for improvement for me. Something about the seemingly perfect squared off teeth isn't striking the right chord. Just my opinion, but when I'm thinking "devils" I immediately want to visualize more of a beast and less humanoid and put together looking, though that may be your intent.

Some dents in the horns could add character quite easily, too.

Looking forward to watching this progress.

I agree with pretty much all of this. Also, I think it could greatly be improved by adding negative space to the A. Maybe try a downward pointing triangle? It might also be able to double as a highlight on the beard.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I love the updated logo and I love how creative it is. My only gripe is that it now reads "STMTE" to me instead of STATE.

It's a great execution IMO and the way you played with the letter. It's just that it looks more like an M instead of an A to me. Maybe add some sort of a negative space in that area to make it look more like an A?

First, props for even bothering to reach down into the little HBCU world. Who knows--maybe you can finish what I started seven or eight years ago...?

...Second: good start here. Long ago I started working up my own set of ideas for the Delta Devils that, like just about every other concept project I start, I never was able to complete. (There's a lesson in here somewhere.) Going with an assumed "V" shape is probably the most predictable way to go, and I think you captured that here nicely. I'd still work some more shades/highlights/details in there--I just don't know how I'd do it, so I really can't even help you out on that one. That being said...

...I see you've gotten pretty deep into blending the logo and the word "STATE" with your mark here. Before you get too deeply attached to that, though, I should inform you that the fine folk down in Itta Bena MS, when not using the full name of the university (and understandably so--it's a mouthful) colloquially refer to it as "Valley" before anything else, so it might be worth it to revisit that particular emphasis.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• 2 weeks later...

I think a middle ground between the last two would be dead on.. I don't like the new "collar" or whatever it is, because it loses the "delta" feel, and the shading around the eye was almost better in the previous, but I like things about the new as well, just can't put my finger on it.. Just maybe somewhere in between the two

Mark, if you're still working on this, it looks like it's just a few tweaks away from being there.

To me the problem with the right side of the face is that the the right horn and chin area are highlighted as if there's plenty of light, but then the cheek bone lacks any highlight, which throws off the whole thing making the right cheek concave. I see you're going for as little detail as possible which is good but if you added just a small (upside down triangular) cheek bone, that would do the job. The eyes seem a little close together right now. Also devils stereotypically have a point nose. This nose almost looks too narrow like it had too much plastic surgery. If you made the cheek/nose more pointy I think it'd help.

Good stuff and Much better than what this school currently uses obviously.

Archived