Toronto Rogers Centre/BMO Field discussion

Magnus

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does this get the Argonauts out of the SkyDome so that the Blue Jays can begin to make it resemble a baseball park? That's really all I care about.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Does this get the Argonauts out of the SkyDome so that the Blue Jays can begin to make it resemble a baseball park? That's really all I care about.

I do believe it makes it easier to renovate BMO Field, so yes.

An early Argos exit from the Dome does nothing to speed up the Jays' plans for the installation of grass. If it can be done, it'll be done in 2018. That being said, it still benefits the baseball side of things in the meantime -- with the Argos gone, that's nine fewer times per year they have to roll up and re-assamble the turf (causing less wear).

And while I know a lot of people aren't thrilled about the idea of the Argos being owned by two of the three MLSE giants, keep in mind that Bell owns TSN, who has the CFL broadcasting rights, so they have a vested interest in running a successful on-field product.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Can the SkyDome's retractable roof be dismantled and replaced with a canopy-esque roof like the one at BC Place? That plus grass would make the place much more livable for baseball.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

An early Argos exit from the Dome does nothing to speed up the Jays' plans for the installation of grass. If it can be done, it'll be done in 2018. That being said, it still benefits the baseball side of things in the meantime -- with the Argos gone, that's nine fewer times per year they have to roll up and re-assamble the turf (causing less wear).

And while I know a lot of people aren't thrilled about the idea of the Argos being owned by two of the three MLSE giants, keep in mind that Bell owns TSN, who has the CFL broadcasting rights, so they have a vested interest in running a successful on-field product.

I can't imagine why anyone would be upset about MLSE owning the team. The Argos have always struggled for relevancy. Being owned by 2/3rds of MLSE provides them with financial security at the very least.

I'm in a bit of a bind though. The Leafs, Jays, Raptors, and TFC are all under the same general corporate umbrella. The Argos are now part of that. I feel like it just makes sense to pull for them in that context, but I've always been a Ti-Cats fan.

Oh well. Here's to hating the Argos just a little less :D

Can the SkyDome's retractable roof be dismantled and replaced with a canopy-esque roof like the one at BC Place? That plus grass would make the place much more livable for baseball.

I would give my right arm for them to start overhauling the SkyDome's interior. No, really, I would honestly use a KFC spork if I had to.

Random thoughts...

- Argos get booted from the Jays' grass, end up potentially spoiling TFC's grass. Welcome to Toronto. It's not even the grass proper as concern, it's the f'n gridiron lines that we don't want either. The Argos had better start drawing fans or else they're on the clock. Personally I have no affinity to the Argos either way, move them to Quebec City... the idea that the CFL would die without the Toronto market is absurd to me when barely anyone in Toronto cares as it is now. Sure TSN gets tv ratings, except we're not waiting for Argo games to do that- Friday Night Football is great summertime tv, Argos or not.

- I would hope Rogers starts going all-in to turn SkyDome into a real baseball park. I for one don't mind the roof- not when I was at a game when it wasn't even 5c on my way out last month. They need to, vastly, improve the aesthetics of the place. It does have a huge sports bar vibe to it which is fun. Now they need to knock out some non load bearing concrete for more natural light & sightlines. Do something with the underside of the roof, it is soo dreary... maybe throw some holographic skies like Harry Potter lols!? I would hope they're sitting on conceptual plans along those lines waiting to go within next 5-10yrs.

I dunno, there must be something they can do for the underside of the roof that won't conflict with baseball.

- Oh, & you can go ahead & throw the Ted Rogers statue into the lake. Or move it to Rogers' head offices. Does not belong at the baseball stadium.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I enjoy the Toronto stadium discussion, though I don't wanna clog up the NHL Offseason thread with unrelated material. Mods, do you think you could move these posts somewhere else?

Anyways, for anyone who says "Nobody cares about the Argonauts"...

CEfU87AUkAEI5jY.jpg

Given the ungodly schedule Rogers forces them to deal with, it's no wonder attendance is so bad. Playing in a football-appropriate stadium with reasonable dates would be huge for them. And 2001mark, I don't think anyone's suggesting that the CFL will die without a successful Toronto team. But you can't argue that having a strong presence in the largest city/economic centre of Canada is very important for the league.

Regarding the SkyDome, Beeston hinted at a massive renovation in the coming years. I, too, would like something done to make the concrete bowl a little easier on the eyes. In addition, removing some outfield seats in lieu of another patio section would cool.

And yes, tear the Ted Rogers statue down Saddam Hussein-style. Prop up one of Joe Carter or Robbie Alomar. Hell, make one of Buck Martinez breaking his leg. Just not Ted-f***ing-Rogers.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Any change to Rogers Centre is a good change as far as I'm concerned. Having been there so many times, I've somewhat deluded myself into thinking that it's not that bad, but I'm constantly reminded of it crappiness whenever I go to any actual ballpark. Hell, if it weren't in such a solid location, I'd be 100% in favor of a new park.

I enjoy the Toronto stadium discussion, though I don't wanna clog up the NHL Offseason thread with unrelated material. Mods, do you think you could move these posts somewhere else?

Done.

- Argos get booted from the Jays' grass, end up potentially spoiling TFC's grass. Welcome to Toronto. It's not even the grass proper as concern, it's the f'n gridiron lines that we don't want either. The Argos had better start drawing fans or else they're on the clock. Personally I have no affinity to the Argos either way, move them to Quebec City... the idea that the CFL would die without the Toronto market is absurd to me when barely anyone in Toronto cares as it is now. Sure TSN gets tv ratings, except we're not waiting for Argo games to do that- Friday Night Football is great summertime tv, Argos or not.

The Argos, one of the oldest pro sports teams in North America, are "on the clock?" Whatever man.

I have nothing against MLS or Toronto FC. I like both. The idea, however, that the Argonauts better not inconvenience TFC is just wrong. Check out Bubba's graphic. Toronto FC isn't a civic institution and the Argos aren't pariahs.

And 2001mark, I don't think anyone's suggesting that the CFL will die without a successful Toronto team. But you can't argue that having a strong presence in the largest city/economic centre of Canada is very important for the league.

I don't think fans are, it's the sports/business talking heads in the know who suggest as much. Maybe that's a scare tactic, who knows.

@2001mark

Regarding the SkyDome, Beeston hinted at a massive renovation in the coming years. I, too, would like something done to make the concrete bowl a little easier on the eyes. In addition, removing some outfield seats in lieu of another patio section would cool.

And yes, tear the Ted Rogers statue down Saddam Hussein-style. Prop up one of Joe Carter or Robbie Alomar. Hell, make one of Buck Martinez breaking his leg. Just not Ted-f***ing-Rogers.

RE. SkyDome, what I'd do, & this is the type of thing I think about sitting waiting for a first pitch lols, is I'd gut the outfield 500 seats & replace them with more of the same bar style amenities they put in CF where Windows restaurant used to be. Turn it into a more casual zone for ppl who might not even be fully interested in the game, just a fun place to meet for eats/drinks.

Put some tvs up there so game action isn't even all that distant if ppl wanna pay closer attention.

Kansas City proved overhauling can work wonders on an older stadium.

@2001mark

The grass and lines issue will be minor at best. I have watched BPL games with rugby lines still visible and MLS teams also play in stadiums with football teams. If TFC fans care so much about having a soccer only stadium, then maybe MLSE should have built a stadium with their own money, like the ACC.

As for the Jays, they should start with putting in a grass field first, there is technology out there to put artifici light to maintain the grass. Then they can try to retrofit the stadium to maybe make a new dome structure. Unfortunately, I think they would need to get rid of the hotel if they want to make it a more open stadium and I don't see that happening

I saw, I came, I left.

Id love to see a Safeco Field Type roof on the SkyDome and remove part of the stadium the hotel perhaps and create a panaromic view of Toronto. If that is possible please let it happen.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived