Toronto Rogers Centre/BMO Field discussion

Magnus

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id love to see a Safeco Field Type roof on the SkyDome and remove part of the stadium the hotel perhaps and create a panaromic view of Toronto. If that is possible please let it happen.

I'm with you on removing the hotel; the novelty of people screwing in the window during games has long since worn off. I don't know about a Seattle-style roof, though; it still gets pretty dark and grim under that thing. It needs to feel more open.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Id love to see a Safeco Field Type roof on the SkyDome and remove part of the stadium the hotel perhaps and create a panaromic view of Toronto. If that is possible please let it happen.

I'm with you on removing the hotel; the novelty of people screwing in the window during games has long since worn off. I don't know about a Seattle-style roof, though; it still gets pretty dark and grim under that thing. It needs to feel more open.
The hotel is not owned by Rogers.

It is corporately owned by Marriott International.

What percentage of those TV ratings are from the GTA? There's no doubt the CFL is popular in the prairies and Quebec. I have my doubts about its popularity in Toronto.

Well that's besides the point, as the Argos' ratings seem to be greater then TFC's ratings. Which is the key distinction here.

I was wholly indifferent to Canadian football until you guys gave us Marc Trestman. Now I want to burn the whole thing down.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

What percentage of those TV ratings are from the GTA? There's no doubt the CFL is popular in the prairies and Quebec. I have my doubts about its popularity in Toronto.

See, I don't even know if Hamilton, & the likes of Burlington constitute that metric. From what I've read & heard, there is healthy love for the CFL vis a vis their Ti-Cats. If that following boosts the GTA's as a whole in lieu of the Argos, I couldn't tell ya.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Any possiblity the roof is removed? Does the sky-dome hold many indoor events outside of Blue Jays and Argos? Frankly I think the ballpark needs a major major renovation.

- I'd imagine the cost to remove it might even be more than the drop dead price Rogers paid for the entire building lols.

- I don't even know any more on the regular, monster truck shows maybe? I haven't been to a non-sporting event at SkyDome since the autoshow pulled out & that's gotta be nearly a decade ago now.

- Frankly I'd love to see them give the Kauffman Stadium reno designers a call & say get up here for brainstorming. That stadium looks fabulous & it's not even a throwback one.

@2001mark

I also imagine weatherproofing SkyDome would be prohibitively expensive.

To that point(?), one of the reasons the Argos for example could never play rain or shine with the roof open - the entire 500 level apparently doesn't drain for rain.

An entire game with rain or even snow falling would be chaos for safety concerns alone (500 level is rather steep & narrow enough steps).

@2001mark

To that point(?), one of the reasons the Argos for example could never play rain or shine with the roof open - the entire 500 level apparently doesn't drain for rain.

The lone Argo game I saw in Toronto, the roof was open on a beautiful day so I don't think that's a real thing. At least not a few years ago it wasn't.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Well that's besides the point, as the Argos' ratings seem to be greater then TFC's ratings. Which is the key distinction here.

The other thing to take into consideration is the networks too.

TSN reaches more homes than the 2nd teir Sportsnet networks that TFC is generally on (world, one and, 360).

Or where the numbers strictly comparing TSN's TFC broadcasts vs TSN's Argo broadcasts?

The lone Argo game I saw in Toronto, the roof was open on a beautiful day so I don't think that's a real thing. At least not a few years ago it wasn't.

I've been to plenty of Argos game with the roof open. I've even been to 1 where they had to start closing the roof in the 2nd quarter so I don't think that is the case.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

But my point is that the Argos are a money loser. People always bring up TV ratings when it comes to the Argos but if 95% of the people watching Argos games on TV are from the opposing teams market is that really a positive for the Argos? I don't really see why people would show up to see the Argos at BMO Field just because it's a new stadium. The SkyDome is a great location yet people still didn't show up. Why all of a sudden will they go to BMO?

1zqy8ok.gif

But my point is that the Argos are a money loser. People always bring up TV ratings when it comes to the Argos but if 95% of the people watching Argos games on TV are from the opposing teams market is that really a positive for the Argos?

It's not as though teams receive money based on how many people from each city watch each game. TSN paid big bucks for the league's broadcasting rights, and that money is split evenly among the teams.

I don't really see why people would show up to see the Argos at BMO Field just because it's a new stadium.

Because they're playing in a new stadium. I know several casual CFL fans who are planning on going to see the Argos once they move to BMO despite having never been to a game before (or having gone to the SkyDome once and hated the experience). Hell, I plan on going to a TFC game this year to check out the place despite having not a lick of interest in soccer. Obviously, the novelty would wear off soon, but don't underestimate the hype that can surround a new stadium.

The SkyDome is a great location yet people still didn't show up. Why all of a sudden will they go to BMO?

Because the atmosphere sucks and it's a truly horrible place to watch football. More importantly, the Blue Jays and their 81 home dates get priority over the Argos, leading to some brutal dates (including everyone's favourite, Tuesday Night Football!). At BMO? While the TFC get scheduling priority, they have only 17 home games, which should vastly improve the Argos' schedule.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I mis-spoke. I meant to say that no team, not even the football Argos, were allowed to keep the roof open whenever they wanted even if it meant more fans.

Local talk sometime veered to suggest the Argos play every single game with the roof open, for a more traditional football atmosphere.

SkyDome was not meant to handle a lot of rain.

@2001mark

But my point is that the Argos are a money loser. People always bring up TV ratings when it comes to the Argos but if 95% of the people watching Argos games on TV are from the opposing teams market is that really a positive for the Argos? I don't really see why people would show up to see the Argos at BMO Field just because it's a new stadium. The SkyDome is a great location yet people still didn't show up. Why all of a sudden will they go to BMO?

If I read in The Star correctly, a quote, Argos' new owners don't see why every Argo home game won't be 30,000 sold out.

I'm not holding my breath.

@2001mark

I really have to disagree with the anti CFL sentiment some have espoused here.

Fortunately not everybody has.

The CFL is a great game--exciting to watch & fun.

If Toronto truly doesn't want to be part of it--then so be it.

But if they do want to be part of it--then cool.

The CFL & its predecessor leagues have a long col history--as does the Grey Cup

And the Argos do as well.

I'm not an Args fan at all, but I am a CFL fan.

They should have done this years ago

It should be possible to work out stuff for both TFC & the Argos.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived