Air Force Falcons Rebrand | Revised monogram logo 6/14/15

Go Red Sox!

Hi guys! This is my latest concept – a rebrand of the NCAA Air Force Falcons.

The current Falcons primary mark is a monogram, the famous "AF", they have been using since 1963 as an alternate logo. There is nothing to criticize about the current logo, unless one is missing a rendition of this very bird of prey being at least part of the primary mark. So I decided to create a rather simple, yet bold looking Falcon. The color scheme has almost been unchanged: The official shade of blue of the Air Force Academy is now the main color, while a lighter shade of Cool Gray was added.

Hope you like it. C&C is welcomed as always.

3pr1czgf0mqhfdqfv1mqrvfiq_zpslcx3ytnv.pn

Current primary logo

Air%20Force%20Falcons%20primary%20logo%2

Air%20Force%20Falcons%20primary%20logo_z

Air%20Force%20Falcons%20secondary%20logo

Air%20Force%20Falcons%20alternate%20logo

Air%20Force%20Falcons%20partial%20logo_z

Air%20Force%20Falcons%20wordmarks_zpsm5h

Air%20Force%20Falcons%20logo%20sheet_zps

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Beautiful Work! Everything is clean and simple, but works very well. My only complaints would be the AF-star secondary logo has a weird discontinued gray outline. Also, the wordmarks feel a little too plain, maybe they could use outlines or serifs or something, but they seem pretty generic right now. Great work!

I like the falcon's head. That's a classy mark. Well done.

Two criticisms:

1. The wordmarks and the AF/Star are very generic. I'm certainly not suggesting this is what you did (because the typeface may be custom and I just don't know that): but it looks like the wordmarks were just typed out using a readily available font and arched slightly.
  2. Where are the lightning bolts? I know that they aren't as highly emphasized in basketball (and apparently aren't used at all in baseball), but when I think of Air Force, even before the AF monogram, I think of lightning bolts. Make the grey shapes in your primary mark that bookend "AIR FORCE" into lightning bolts, for instance.

Beautiful Work! Everything is clean and simple, but works very well. My only complaints would be the AF-star secondary logo has a weird discontinued gray outline. Also, the wordmarks feel a little too plain, maybe they could use outlines or serifs or something, but they seem pretty generic right now. Great work!

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that outline on the AF/Star. Did it not look right with just one stroke-width separating the two letters? Also, what's the thought process behind italicizing the AF in the AF/Star and there not being any skewing anywhere else. I don't think that looks bad by any means; I was just curious as to why it's different.

Great job! I love the touches you added and fixed!

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

This looks fantastic Go!

...Not much to criticize here.

The Falcon-head logo is brilliant.

There may need to be a gap between the tongue and lower beak.

I can separate the two when the logo is in colour, but when it's a one-colour application they will be one shape.

I like how the sides of the falcon's head suggest lightning bolts.

On the winged logo, what if.... you crossed the two bolts and ran the longer ends up into the dark area of the wings a bit?

Really nicely done!!!

Thanks everyone for your comments. Much appreciated.

I think I know what you mean. I had probably almost ten different versions of that logo with various interactions between the star and the monogram – including one where the monogram wouldn't protrude beyond the star. But then it looked rather boring, uncreative, almost bulky and forced. Simply because the monogram was small enough that it would fit right into the star's center without protruding. So I decided to choose this version. One can see just parts of a star, but immediately recognizing a star, while the monogram itself is intended to be more in the foreground visually than it's probably necessary in another situation. The monogram was intended to rather isolate itself visually from the star than being part of it.

The falcon I can see, but they'll never change the AF I feel. And I think the alternate needs more highlights in the wings.

I also had probably four or five versions with different amounts of streamlined highlights in the wings, but they were either too much or too little in combination with the bird. I didn't want to use too much shading in this logo in the beginning for the wings because I wanted to keep it as simple as the rest of the Falcon logos. So I created a version with streamlined shading, only for the upper part of the wings. But it nevertheless looked forced, regardless of what color I used – white or gray. I added more shading, but it kind of cluttered the logo. I think it's kind of a nice "effect" now: The Falcon is approaching you as a viewer, coming out of the dark and all you see first is his head, the claws and the two lightning bolts. That's why I decided to completely drop the shading in the wings – for now.

Edit: @sparky chewbarky made a nice suggestion, mentioned below.)

I like the falcon's head. That's a classy mark. Well done.

Two criticisms:

1. The wordmarks and the AF/Star are very generic. I'm certainly not suggesting this is what you did (because the typeface may be custom and I just don't know that): but it looks like the wordmarks were just typed out using a readily available font and arched slightly.
  2. Where are the lightning bolts? I know that they aren't as highly emphasized in basketball (and apparently aren't used at all in baseball), but when I think of Air Force, even before the AF monogram, I think of lightning bolts. Make the grey shapes in your primary mark that bookend "AIR FORCE" into lightning bolts, for instance.

I edited the typeface's "R", "F" and "E" – the rest of the letters remained unchanged. It's not a custom font. I will think about using a different typeface, although I wanted to avoid spikes and stuff because, quite frankly, I'm tired of it.

I actually had the same idea before: using two lightning bolts instead of placing the grey triangles at the same spot, but they kind of looked out of place. But that was weeks ago. I also integrated them inside that Falcon head circle, but it didn't look good at all. I will try to find a way to incorporate the lightning bolts in the primary mark.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that outline on the AF/Star. Did it not look right with just one stroke-width separating the two letters? Also, what's the thought process behind italicizing the AF in the AF/Star and there not being any skewing anywhere else. I don't think that looks bad by any means; I was just curious as to why it's different.

Right. The gray outline(s) looked a little blurred right at that point, especially because the larger blue spot inside the "A" would reinforce that impression. So I decided to separate the two letters a little by using that blue line.

I italicized the "AF" simply because it looked more interesting than the regular way. I avoided italicizing all the other wordmarks because I either preferred arching them, or – in the case of the primary mark – it would have looked inappropriate due to the falcon's head front view. Italicized typesetting could have fitted to a side view rendition of a falcon's head, but not so much in this case.

Great job! I love the touches you added and fixed!

Thanks a lot!

BEAUTIFUL! I would be proud to wear that on some teamwear.

Thanks a lot!

DUDE!!!! This is incredible! Major props, and I think this looks like something they should do in the future. Outstanding job!

Thanks a lot. Much appreciated, guys!

This looks fantastic Go!

...Not much to criticize here.

The Falcon-head logo is brilliant.

There may need to be a gap between the tongue and lower beak.

I can separate the two when the logo is in colour, but when it's a one-colour application they will be one shape.

I like how the sides of the falcon's head suggest lightning bolts.

On the winged logo, what if.... you crossed the two bolts and ran the longer ends up into the dark area of the wings a bit?

Really nicely done!!!

Thanks a lot, Sparky.

The gap! Right! I already regret that black & white version! :lol:

You're the first one spotting the implied lightning bolts.

The two-crossed-bolts-idea sounds interesting. I'll try that out!

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

I think the only thing that may need a change is the AF logo, I think there may be too many outlines and i don't like how the line between the A and F goes from blue to grey.

Other than that this is truly fantastic.

Thanks a lot, raysox.

The monogram logo apparently needs some revision. I'll see what can be done!

Back with a slightly revised Falcon that now has a gap separating tongue and lower beak (for black + white application). The Air Force Falcons helmet is metallic with a chrome facemask. Alternate helmets might follow.

Still working on the monogram logo and the primary mark (lightning bolts).

Falcons%20V2%20helmet%20side%20view_zpsz

Here is a revised version of the alternate, full bodied Falcon. The two lightning bolts are now crossed, as suggested by @sparky chewbarky. I went without any highlights for the wings, still for the same reasons mentioned above.

Version 1

Version 2

Here is a revised version of the alternate, full bodied Falcon. The two lightning bolts are now crossed, as suggested by @sparky chewbarky. I went without any highlights for the wings, still for the same reasons mentioned above.

Version 1

Version 2

Is the bottom one crooked? Anyway, I prefer version 2, the colors just work better.

Version 1

Version 2

Is the bottom one crooked? Anyway, I prefer version 2, the colors just work better.

Version 2 is rotated. But the colors of version 1 and 2 are identical.

Archived