Article on Ducks' 2007 rebrand

Bluefalcon

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, speaking of that, there are lots of other colors in those concepts. The article seems to skip the part where Brian Burke kicks in the agency's door, yells "WE'RE ARMY STRONG!", pisses on the floor, and leaves.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Unpopular opinion: While the standalone "D" is vastly superior to the script, the new uniforms are not.

The current uniforms have too much going on, too much orange and the inexplicable decision of changing the "champagne" or "gold" to a matte shade.

t8yopG3.jpg

I particularly like the way the original uniforms used the palette, ensuring the orange wasn't too overpowering. Had they just gone with the standalone "D" to begin with, they wouldn't have needed a change and would have a vastly superior look with a cup already behind it.

SN94Ptc.jpg

I can't believe the Mighty Ducks have been gone for almost 10 years. Where does the time go?

At least the Ducks got rid of the wordmark uniforms, those were possibly my least favorite unis in the entire NHL. Their current look is tolerable, but doesn't come close to entering the same stratosphere as their last Mighty Ducks set.

90758391980.gif

The color scheme and crest were always hideous, but the 2007 sweaters' striping design was okay... until the switch to Edge, that is, when Reebok managed to screw up the hem stripe. Just look at how it abruptly stops on the side of the sweater:

OXhpE8a.jpg

Meanwhile, on the old CCM template, the hem stripe connected on both sides as was clearly intended:

SfLAhA8.jpg

In fairness, the collar design on the Edge version was vastly superior. The CCM version's plain, offset one-color collars did not go with the rest of the uniform at all, especially on the white sweater.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

To be honest, I never saw anything wrong with the Mighty Duck sets (except for the WildWing alt, of course). In fact, they were one of my favorites in the league. They were great, clean sweaters with a solid color scheme that still worked well into the 2000's, despite it being a product of the 90's.

I also don't get the whole "Disney!! Gah! Childish!" flak it ever got, either. People act like they slapped Barney or Mickey Mouse onto the sweater or something. I don't feel that was the case. The logo itself was still a very good, professional logo, not to mention quite iconic. It had some cartoonish element to it, yes, but not nearly enough to make it too childish for professional sports. There's far more cartoonish logos across the sports world that don't get near the slap-around the duck mask gets sometimes.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I don't hate the foot D either. It's far and away the best choice out of those options on there, but I'm still in love with Wildwing.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/103537-mccarthys-nhl/?p=2439907

Cool colors (literally cool as in the color wheel), distinctive logos, and bold striping. People say "blah 90's, cynical corporate synergy, yak yak yak". And I say so what? The colors are 90's, but why hide from your heritage? Being started because of a Disney movie is as good an origin story (and better in a lot of cases) as anybody else in sports and newsflash - corporate synergy is nothing new in sports. That the Mighty Ducks were the most shameless and least apologetic about it is not their fault.

PvO6ZWJ.png

To be honest, I never saw anything wrong with the Mighty Duck sets (except for the WildWing alt, of course). In fact, they were one of my favorites in the league. They were great, clean sweaters with a solid color scheme that still worked well into the 2000's, despite it being a product of the 90's.

I also don't get the whole "Disney!! Gah! Childish!" flak it ever got, either. People act like they slapped Barney or Mickey Mouse onto the sweater or something. I don't feel that was the case. The logo itself was still a very good, professional logo, not to mention quite iconic. It had some cartoonish element to it, yes, but not nearly enough to make it too childish for professional sports. There's far more cartoonish logos across the sports world that don't get near the slap-around the duck mask gets sometimes.

I liked the duck mask logo. And I tend not to like campy things (like dolphins wearing helmets).

For me it was the name: "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim." I thought that was awful and far more "Mickey Mouse" than the logos/colors/uniforms. I did not like the colors and looking at pictures of the old uniforms does give me a "90s" feeling. But they could have kept the look and become the "Anaheim Ducks" and I'd have been OK with it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Literally every single unused logo in the article is better than the uninspired crapfest they went with.

Agreed. I put their logo and identity among the worst in the league. And their uniforms are just outside my bottom five.

NHL-Worst_zpsf8dcerlv.jpg

Always thought, and still do, that a dark green in place of black would make their color scheme damn near perfect.

I think you're right--one of the problems with the Ducks' identity is that their colors seem so dreary, and a dark green would go a long way to improve that.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Honestly, I don't hate the Mighty Ducks' logo as much as I use to. I would've probably prefered a more modernized version of it entering the newer decade, but it overall wasn't "horrendous". I still didn't like their old colors though.

The current set is fine, but they really need to replace the black with maybe a deep green. Since they use orange more than they do gold, they should switch the colors on the logo, making it orange with a gold outline underneath it instead.

I really like the bottom right logo:

ducks05decoylogos_pcxxeigfz2k11qy4nn0zu3

The basics of it would make a nice alternate for Oregon.

My fave out of these is Bttom Center, but that logo needs something else to it.

None of those look like an NHL logo. Glad they went with the web D

I liked the duck mask logo. And I tend not to like campy things (like dolphins wearing helmets).

For me it was the name: "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim." I thought that was awful and far more "Mickey Mouse" than the logos/colors/uniforms. I did not like the colors and looking at pictures of the old uniforms does give me a "90s" feeling. But they could have kept the look and become the "Anaheim Ducks" and I'd have been OK with it.

Were the Ducks the first "team name of location" formulation?

If we're polling, I'm another fan of the webbed D. The initial 2007 refresh was way too sterile and businesslike for a team called the Ducks. It took all the mirth away from a one-time fun team. They're not all the way back, but better.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Honestly, I don't hate the Mighty Ducks' logo as much as I use to. I would've I probably prefered a more modernized version of it entering the newer decade, but it overall wasn't "horrendous". I still didn't like their old colors though.

The current set is fine, but they really need to replace the black with maybe a deep green. Since they use orange more than they do gold, they should switch the colors on the logo, making it orange with a gold outline underneath it instead.

Dark green, bronze, and blaze orange. Book it.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived