Southern Basketball Coalition - 1970s Minor League Hoops!

JCRGraphix

I was inspired by the movie Semi-Pro to do some Basketball concepts, and since I generally dislike the sport, I decided not to do anything modern, but to do a league set in the 1970s. Also, I decided to hand-draw each of the player models and draw faces for each player model. The players are in a comic style, and are not meant to be taken too seriously, as this is a fun project...

This 10-team league is the Southern Basketball Coalition with teams in the Southeastern US. There are two divisions: the Gulf Coast Division and the Dixieland Division.

Up first, we have the Montgomery Capitals. The Capitals have a simple, classic look that features the state flag of Alabama in both the uniforms and logo.

capitals.png

I'm interested in your feedback!

Saw these cartoon dudes on the front page in the Concepts corner and I had to click right on this thread to follow it ASAP. Talk about a breath of fresh (Southern fried?) air. I'm not used to seeing basketball teams with a completely different home and away set (seems more of a soccer team), so I don't know how exactly to respond to that here, but when I see that you need to have a white outline around your black text for the white uniform, it makes me wonder if you could maybe just reposition the team name and numbers to better fit around the cross?

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Not to be Mr. PC here, since I'm not the one to talk, but isn't Dixieland like, I don't know, the name for the South used by the Northerners during the Civil War (as a derogatory name)? However, not to put a damper on things, I really like this concept. The template is really cool, and I like the original idea. But I would like to see how you could incorporate the Flag on either the side stripe or the the red jersey.

Not to be Mr. PC here, since I'm not the one to talk, but isn't Dixieland like, I don't know, the name for the South used by the Northerners during the Civil War (as a derogatory name)? However, not to put a damper on things, I really like this concept. The template is really cool, and I like the original idea. But I would like to see how you could incorporate the Flag on either the side stripe or the the red jersey.

Southerners really embrace names like Dixie and Dixieland. Dixie is basically another name used to refer to the southern part of the U.S.

This is great! Thank god this isn't a modern concept, but for the 70's, this would fit perfectly.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

Archived