Horse Logo (Logo Recolors)

jmoe12

Hey everyone! I've been playing around quite a bit in Inkscape the last couple of months, and I finally feel happy enough with a logo to post it. I could really use some C&C to improve this and make it as good as possible.

Chargers%20Logo_zpsrmeuaxbv.png

Fantastic start. I started with a horse logo once and I still tweak it from time to time. But you know that. I think your logo here is better than my first by a mile. The overall shape really works.The hair is ok but is kinda random length and directions. Think of wind. I love the mouth and eye and the shadows are effective. Also you may consider varying the stroke length along the neck. Great great start! welcome to the club haha!

Ooo I like it! I think what's holding it back at the moment is the mane. Hair there is a bit too "all over the place" for my liking. Maybe finer, a bit more directional.

You nailed the facial features, something that I really can't get right at all, so props to that. Love the mouth especially.

A couple more gripes would be the shading. Did you get that from a reference picture? I don't really see why it'd be like that, but hey, prove me wrong. Perhaps have some green highlights? In addition, maybe make the outline itself a bit more dynamic. Maybe different stroke weights somewhere, if not, a tad thicker? Think Western Michigan (pretty sure they have what I'm talking about, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyways, great start.

EDIT: That's scary-close to Windell's post...

Thanks for the feedback, I'll work on updating the mane. For the shading, I tried to show the muscles on the horses face and neck, similar to in this photo

carol-walker-palomino-quarter-horse-stal

I'll work on tweaking them to make them more realistic

I like it, however I do have a few opinions.

It's in a very agressive stance, much like a bull would be, but that also makes it different. I guess what I'm saying is that it keeps reminding me of a bull, but that it's still okay. =)

I thinkt he eyebrow is a bit thick.

I think the logo is ripe for a third color, and that could be where the gray shadows are. One must think of who is using this logo, and what their colors are. If their colors are only white and green, then it's pretty much okay ... though I would do a darker gray for the tones, and at least a black outline around the logo.

Consider the Denver Broncos logo, and how their colors are white, orange, and blue. They use a blue as their outline that also comes in and doubles as tones/shadows:

9ebzja2zfeigaziee8y605aqp.gif

Not saying that a black outline has to do the same, but it's a good technique to fit in a third color, such as a yellow/gold, dark red, beige, etc.

I do think the mane needs a little more work ... it's soft in some areas, sharp in others, and sometimes appears chopped. I would pick one style and stick with it throughout the entire mane.

If you have a specific team/school in mind, you could somehow work their initials into the tones/shadows, the mane, an outline, and really make a dual-meaning logo if you put some more time into it and were inclined to do so ... of course, you'd have to have a team/school to do so. If you're the type of person that wants to eventually do some graphic arts, even if only freelancing, it would help you to add these intracacies even if the team/school were purely imaginary, in order to help build up a portfolio.

Lastly, there seems to be, to me, a bit much green on the snout ... it really draws my eye down there, where perhaps my eye should be drawn to the horse's eye or the mane. I would lessen it one way or another.

Overall though, I hope that didn't sound too critical. I really do like it, and I'm sure some people would disagree on some of my points ... I hope I don't sound anal, lol.

Keep practicing, this is a very strong start!

Please delete my account.

ba1d3af2-beb0-4703-a70d-e1344213efac_zps

Take 2

-Edited mane, still not 100% on it, but I feel it is quite an improvement from the first

-Simplified highlights, made them green

-Thickened outline a tad

Improvement? C&C is still greatly appreciated!

the nose and mouth is a little rough, the nostril is hugh and it looks like it has a mustach above its mouth

good start!

Dang it, now I can't unsee it! Thanks for the feedback, I'll rework it soon

The second is nice with more detail.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

I feel like the head is pointed too far down for a horse. Similar to the Broncos, and even the reference photo, I'd adjust it to be looking more straight-forward. Whereas now, I get the vibe of a chess piece instead.

chetakknights600.jpg

bufg.png

I feel like the head is pointed too far down for a horse. Similar to the Broncos, and even the reference photo, I'd adjust it to be looking more straight-forward. Whereas now, I get the vibe of a chess piece instead.

chetakknights600.jpg

So, just rotate the head back, or change the structure of the face

680f577a-7f88-4a7f-bfdb-c0241b2e2189_zps

A few more tweaks

-Shrunk Nostril

-Added green underneath the mouth to remove the "mustache" look

-Shrunk the neck

-Rotated it up slightly

I feel like I'm getting closer, but any more C&C would be appreciated!

I'll agree, the mouth was much more distinguishable when the bottom of it was on a white background. It is a bit more "random lines" now.

I'd say the mane is the thing you need to work on. It needs something else there, it's too smooth I think. I'd like to see it, while still nice an going all the same direction, maybe "notches" to kinda separate portions of the mane like Denver does. Maybe not different sections, but notches going about halfway through, like how you have at the very end of the mane. A couple more of those could help I think...

I was actually starting to like the head down in Take 1 more and more. Like I said, it was agressive, like a bull ... kind of like how a horse rears up and looks down at it's target that it's about to kick! I feel that with the head tilted up a bit more, it's just stuck somewhere in between two actions and is undecided what it's next move is going to be ... it's not extended in a sprint and moving forward, but it's not rearing up, either. I think it would look best in either extreme, but not in the middle ... there's just no ... ACTION! But maybe that's just me.

I like change to the mane in Take 2! Very streamlined, slick, and stylish!

Personally, I'd prefer the eyebrow to be slightly thinner and pointed a little bit more to the back to convey a little more motion like the mane and neck muscle are.

You've got a little notch at the bottom of the neck and mane ... it's there, but it's annoying. I'd do something with it ... either make one clean line, or emphasize it with a true zig-zag. May want to make the base of the neck have a stronger presence than just an almost straight line. Make a bold curve, or a lightning bolt ... something. Get more motion in there!

Lastly, the shadow on the front of the neck is too straight and seems like an afterthought in Take 3. Take 1 isn't much better, but still better. I like Take 2 the best, as it conveys strength to me.

Sorry, it's been several months since I've touched vectoring, and I was only learning back then ... so this is really rough. The green fill didn't work so well, lol.

But here's my quick visual take that is totally unrefined:

Z2LboRs.png

Thanks everyone for all of the feedback! Here is my fourth take.

b9d8ab2b-342c-46ed-bf2e-307cfd6ba7a7_zps

-Took out the green from underneath the mouth, changed the structure of the nose, hopefully this doesn't look like any sort of facial hair

-Thinned out the eyebrow and adjusted the back to give it more of a point.

-Made the ear bigger, it always bothered me how small it was

-Made one more change to the mane, added another point in the front

-Gave the neck a more extreme curve to reduce the static feel

-Adjusted the neck highlight

-Rotated the whole logo to a more forward-facing angle

Archived