FIFA officials arrested on corruption charges

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is England considered a single country for FIFA purposes? I'd like to see Scotland get some of the games if it'll stop their whining about secession.

Yeah they are. For the Olympics it's the United Kingdom(with them, Scotland, Wales, and N. Ireland).
Right, but does that mean a World Cup would have to be awarded to England only and not the UK?

Yep. Due to the 4 home countries having their own FA's and such any English WC would just be in England. Scotland would have to apply itself if it wanted a WC. It's the downside of their stubborn refusal to participate as the UK in soccer.

It's not a stubborn refusal at all. Why should we be solely classed as the U.K in all sporting events. It is a union of seperate nations with Wales, Ireland and Scotland still have their own assemblies. No one in the world recognises the U.K as a single country. In Rugby league we are seperate nations. In Cricket we are seperate nations. So to say it is a stubborn refusal is actually the wrong on your behalf. The next you will be saying that all countries in the European Union should be classed as one country as that is a union of seperate European nations.

glory10.png

Is England considered a single country for FIFA purposes? I'd like to see Scotland get some of the games if it'll stop their whining about secession.

Yeah they are. For the Olympics it's the United Kingdom(with them, Scotland, Wales, and N. Ireland).
Right, but does that mean a World Cup would have to be awarded to England only and not the UK?

Yep. Due to the 4 home countries having their own FA's and such any English WC would just be in England. Scotland would have to apply itself if it wanted a WC. It's the downside of their stubborn refusal to participate as the UK in soccer.

It's not a stubborn refusal at all. Why should we be solely classed as the U.K in all sporting events. It is a union of seperate nations with Wales, Ireland and Scotland still have their own assemblies. No one in the world recognises the U.K as a single country. In Rugby league we are seperate nations. In Cricket we are seperate nations. So to say it is a stubborn refusal is actually the wrong on your behalf. The next you will be saying that all countries in the European Union should be classed as one country as that is a union of seperate European nations.
*Debates lecturing on Federalism to the English nationalist*

*Decides against, on the grounds that English nationalism reflects a density almost as high as that of a black hole*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

*Decides against, on the grounds that English nationalism reflects a density almost as high as that of a black hole*

Finding it odd that you jump to a conclusion that I am an English Nationalist when I am actually Scottish born by birth.

*Maybe asking someone first what nationality they are before jumping to a conclusion before trying to be clever and ending up looking well.....silly.

glory10.png

Yeah, I thought your Scottishness came through loud and clear, actually.

But jumping to conclusions usually makes one look silly.

Scottish by birth but raised in London from an early age before moving away from to a more sedate corner of England. Possibly class myself more English as lived here most of my life but strong Scottish roots on my fathers side.

Now a mute point about England hosting it now as the Football Association chief executive Martin Glenn said: "We are really not interested in hosting the 2018 or 2022 World Cups if they are taken away from respective hosts Russia and Qatar."

glory10.png

I don't think Scotland or Wales would be willing to do a joint bid. Especially since they fear combined teams at the Olympics could lead to combined teams for FIFA. It's the only sport they don't have a British team in specifically because they fear being combined into one by FIFA.

For 2022:

Canada would have to do a massive rebuild on Rogers Centre and most likely would require a new national stadium in Ottawa.

Mexico has a few new stadiums and have dominated Concacaf Champions League so that would be in their favor.

USA actually has served as the standby venue in case a tournament needed a last second change due to natural disasters or state of emergency.

The transportation infrastructures of Canada and the USA are more improved than Mexico but only slightly. Mexico however still deals with drug violence and kidnappings of tourists.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Oh, that's just the English being deferential. "No, no, that's quite alright, we shan't have a World Cup with all our extant stadiums for one of the world's major sports leagues, carry on."

Maybe England could handle the bid but just sub-license one of the venues to Edinburgh or something, and if FIFA doesn't like it, we'll just have more of their executives arrested. Gotta preserve the union here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'd expect an English World Cup to go by what they originally presented as far as cities and stadia.

Manchester: Old Trafford and Etihad

London: Emirates, Wembley, Tottenham (possibly West Ham United Stadium)

Birmingham: Villa Park

Sunderland: Stadium of Light

Leeds: Elland Road

Sheffield: Hillsborough

Bristol: New City Stadium

Newcastle: St. James' Park

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Oh, that's just the English being deferential. "No, no, that's quite alright, we shan't have a World Cup with all our extant stadiums for one of the world's major sports leagues, carry on."

Maybe England could handle the bid but just sub-license one of the venues to Edinburgh or something, and if FIFA doesn't like it, we'll just have more of their executives arrested. Gotta preserve the union here.

The 2002 World Cup was co-hosted by Japan and South Korea. I don't see why the English and Scottish FAs couldn't put in a joint bid.

Yeah, no. A national stadium in Ottawa isn't happening. We just spent seven years rebuilding our existing stadium, and all the sports money is trying to go into a new hockey stadium downtown. (Which the city is honestly 50/50 about funding that or funding to turn the empty field they're developing into newer, emptier fields for outdoor events)

Not to mention, Ottawa's a city of only almost one and a half million people. If there's going to be a new huge national stadium, it's going to be in Toronto, and they've already got BMO and Rogers Field to renovate.

Thr Canadian World Cup bid will become a farce when it's crunch time, There's no way with our current state financially and in terms of stadiums we could beat out other bidding countries like the USA, Colombia, or England.

The 2002 World Cup was co-hosted by Japan and South Korea. I don't see why the English and Scottish FAs couldn't put in a joint bid.
The Scots would never go for it. They don't want to risk any link with the English FA for fear of having the four Home Counties combined into a UK team. It's why they didn't participate in the Olympics in 2012.

True no one in the sporting world does... except for the International Olympic Commitee, World Baseball Softball Confederation, FIBA, International Ice Hockey Federation, Rugby League World Cup...

Nevermind outside sport almost everything treats the UK as a single country. UN, World Bank, IMF, NATO, etc... etc...

Not saying the four home nations should be consolidated into a single UK or GB team in soccer, union or cricket. But if it's ever suggested it is not without precedent or logic.

Finding it odd that you jump to a conclusion that I am an English Nationalist when I am actually Scottish born by birth.

*Maybe asking someone first what nationality they are before jumping to a conclusion before trying to be clever and ending up looking well.....silly.

I recall a lot of griping out of you during the last World Cup regarding slights against England.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Any bets on how long until Valke and Blatter get arrested? I'm thinking that unless the FBI gave Blatter a timeline for settling his accounts he might be looking at 6 months tops.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I recall a lot of griping out of you during the last World Cup regarding slights against England.

And if you look a few posts back to my post with Gothamite you will see why. Not sure why you are looking to make something out of nothing here and derailing a thread about my nationality. Maybe drop me a PM instead like I did you about my nationality as you seem very interested in it.

A BBC investigation has seen evidence that details what happened to the $10m sent from Fifa to accounts controlled by former vice-president Jack Warner.

The money, sent on behalf of South Africa, was meant to be used for its Caribbean diaspora legacy programme.

But documents suggest Mr Warner used the payment for cash withdrawals, personal loans and to launder money.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-33039014

glory10.png

Considering the headline is "Qatar may be stripped of 2022 World Cup: FIFA whistleblower", I think your pronouncement is a bit premature.

I just copy pasta the material, who has time to read things like headlines or understating context?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived