Tampa Bay Devil Rays (hand-drawn)

FinsUp1214

Hello all!

I'm hoping to get going and produce an MLB redesign project in the near future, and have been sketching out a few ideas. One idea has progressed into fruition that I have really fallen in love with. Right now it is in the rough stages, as I don't want to present a final product until the future redesign series, but I still wanted to run this by y'all and get your takes on it before I went any further.

As I was brainstorming what to do with Tampa Bay, I knew two things for certain: 1), I wanted to get as far away from the double blue as possible, and 2) I wanted them to be the "Devil Rays" once again. From there, the brainstorming evolved into a concept that is meant to be a fun and modern take on the teams' roots.

IMG_1066.jpg

After a lot of thought and working with a few different color schemes, I ended up running with a simple black and lime green combo that I felt evoked the original identity well, while also evoking a modern feel. I was surprised at how striking it was in my head, and I feel such a color scheme would stand out tremendously in the majors. I designed the wordmarks and texts to be curvy and rounder to better evoke the flowy, rounder shape and movements of a devil ray. The lime green oval around the text and ray is a nod to the oval shapes used in the teams' first two primary marks.

Lastly, I only have the road wordmark finished at the moment, as I'm not entirely sure what to do with the home wordmark yet (I may very well just use the primary logo's wordmark, but still mulling over it). So the jersey wordmark featured here belongs to only the road uniform.

So, let me have it! What do y'all think? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for viewing!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Thanks you guys! I appreciate it.

Here's a thought I forgot to mention, are the water bubbles a little too much, or do they work? I personally like them, but had a hard time executing them like I had them in my head. I think I drew them out a little too big on second glance.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Thanks you guys! I appreciate it.

Here's a thought I forgot to mention, are the water bubbles a little too much, or do they work? I personally like them, but had a hard time executing them like I had them in my head. I think I drew them out a little too big on second glance.

I would take the bubbles out. That way, at least in the universe of this concept, it would be cheaper and less stressful for licensees to reproduce the logo.

I think you should take out the bubbles as, IMO, they look like oil drops.

As for the home wordmark you could just the road wordmark or put "Devil Rays" in the same format as "Tampa Bay" is in the road wordmark.

Interesting. I've never cared for their new look so I'd certainly welcome this change. And anytime we are getting rid of double blue in favor of some green is a win in my book. It was such a unique identity in sports. I understood dropping "Devil" to give the name a double meaning but they just completely dropped the Devil Ray imagery that went with it. I'd like to see them find a way to incorporate sun rays and a devil ray as part of their identity.

For an alternate logo, I like the idea of a baseball diamond shaped devil ray. Or maybe a baseball diamond "shield" of sorts with a Devil Ray overlaying it? And if you want to to get crazy with it, the Devil Ray could almost double as the D on your primary logo.

I'll also suggest adding a tertiary color -- maybe a gray or silver? I think the lime green on paper may be darker than you intend it to be so I'd adjust the shade of gray used accordingly. The black could be a bit harsh as well when paired with a lime green. I'd suggest trying more of a charcoal color when you convert it to your computer. I'd probably go with charcoal, lime, and gray.

On a side note, they are some weird looking creatures.

407533c3885976bb0cb224a6b9172b72.jpg

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

I really appreciate the comments everyone, thank you very much! It's great to get some good feedback to work with. I hope to get a home wordmark worked out soon to present to y'all. I'm thinking of working out a few different options (I have 3 in mind at the moment) to post, and hope to get some feedback on those when they are ready.

At the moment I do also have a cap logo nearly finished, but I just have to make some tweaks here and there before it's ready. So hopefully soon I'll have wordmarks and a cap logo to show y'all!

Thanks again! Any other comments or feedback?

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I like the idea of the bubbles but they don't work with this palette. That said, I *love* this palette and look forward to seeing what you do with it.

rATMcmK.png

• 1 month later...

Man, that green and black combo does look pretty fantastic! It would instantly look unique and recognizable. Nice job! Love the way the font is developing. I echo the comments about the bubbles; getting rid of them would probably be the best idea. Good Luck!

Thanks everyone! I was pleasantly surprised to open the concepts thread to see more comments here. I appreciate the feedback and tips very much.

I must admit, I got caught up with work and school and such, and let this project fall a bit too much onto the back burner. I got as far as getting the cap logo all sketched out, then set it aside for a while. But I'd like to get right back into it! Hopefully I'll have a full package drafted and ready to produce soon. Thanks again everyone!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived