Changes that were GOOD

hockey week

Every time there's any kind of change or anything new in the sports world, this board freaks out and says it's the worst thing to ever happen.

There are people lamenting the change from Chicago Black Hawks to Chicago Blackhawks in one of the mega threads right now. We're hitting critical mass on negativity here.

So I want to start a thread in the opposite direction.

Name a change that was made that was undoubtedly a good decision. Hindsight has played out, it still looks good, we should celebrate that change for the better.

I'll start. The Columbus Blue Jackets did a great thing changing their primary logo in 2007:

42.gif953192008.gif

and the Nashville Predators switching from dark blues and silver to gold and blue was a great decision that has set them apart:

Predators10.pngPredators12.png

Ok, now I have faith in you guys. What decisions were GOOD decisions in hindsight? Let's get some positivity going around here!

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both teams in this photo made outstanding changes. Credit Boston for coming out of the 2007/08 edge debacle with not only the best look in the league but in their history.

As for Dallas, they jumped from one of the worst looking teams to the top 5 by fixing everything wrong with their initial edge set. Depressing black base replaced with a vibrant green, wholly original to the league. Collegiate script replaced with a dynamic crest that honours the teams history. Uninspired template replaced with something bold and traditional.

MRwj4Mm.jpg

I am definitely one of those people who defaults to "change is bad." I admit it.

Ideally, a team should pick an identity (color scheme, logos) and stick with it. That does not mean no tweaking uniforms, etc. but big overhauls should really be for looks that are very stale (which coincides often with lack of on-field success). The Dallas Mavericks probably needed an update to the logo/unis but I wish they'd have stayed true to their blue/green scheme (plus what they adopted is pure crap). The Bengals, on the other hand, kept their colors but put themselves on the map by dumping an uninspired uniform for something brilliant.

My favorite changes of significance:

MLB:

-Orioles dumping "happy bird" in favor of "standing bird" in early 1990s.

-A's 1987 (or so) change from their mismash of BP jerseys for something very classic-looking

NBA

-Cavs change to right now. OK, I should not like it but the non-blue uniforms are so nice

NFL

-Seattle change from their original colors to the previous set (sorry; that look was just awesome)

-Dolphins dumping the silly dolphin in a helmet logo (much like Baltimore's "happy bird"...too campy)

-Bengals 1981 (or so) change to the current helmet and those really, really nice uniforms

NHL (very unpopular opinions)

-Oilers change from Gretzky era to the blue/copper/red. I know this is unpopular. But I still find the new/old ones jarring

-Coyotes change away from their original mess

-changing from silly "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim" to professional "Anaheim Ducks" (this is a note about the name only; not the look)

I tended away from teams corrected errors (like the Astros, Blue Jays, Sabres) and going to looks inspired by the good ol' days...but these are all positive examples too.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

NFL - TB pewters, finally looked professional.

NBA - BKN b&w, the Nets really were such an aimless branded franchise imo.

NHL - VAN, I like the Orca, I just don't like their constant meddling.

MLB - WAS... their refresh was underrated, from the blocky look to a more classic one. Their current unis might not be for everyone, yet they are nicely distinct.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I always thought this was a great change:

8890ff7bd2c274b6.jpg

Thats a great color scheme, wish they would have kept that.

Me too! That's my favorite capitals jersey of all time, I actually own one of those.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, maybe not, but the Anaheim Ducks' current set is way better than the previous look.

Ducks03.pngDucks07.png

Not perfect by any means, but I'm more than happy to have these over the soulless black and beige wordmark jerseys.

I agree, I really like the prominence of orange in those unis. If only they'd bring back the Disney logo, it'd be perfect.

spacer.png

Archived