NBA Uniform Re-Design Project *CLEVELAND CAVALIERS ALTERNATE updated 02.13.17*

iamdaviinci

I feel like the parquet has it's place on an alternate uniform, but I think it feels forced on the mains. Just a heads up, I would stray from the gray on the home, Celtics fans as a whole were extremely disappointed with the alternate that was rolled out this year. If you're dead set against a sleeve trim, I would suggest making the stripes going down the sides wider and removing the parquet all together.

Or how about making the gray parquet element on the home white jersey green instead, and make the green stripe white (or gray). Since there's no front view of the shorts, I'm wondering if you are keeping the shamrock logo in the middle of the waistband or not.

Also, I wonder how a white Team Jordan logo would look on the Bulls uniform. And I actually preferred the Hornets jersey before you changed the colors of the stripes. It's not the colors that's bugging me, it's the fact that it's more symmetrical (the two purple lines down the middle). The fact that the stripes are asymmetrical have become more endearing. It doesn't have to be green, but less color symmetry looks odd but right. (All of this is just my opinion.)

Oh, and the Pacers. The word "PACERS" seems too spread out for me. I know if you tighten the space between the letters it will create too much blank space on both sides of the word, but I think it might look better. Or not. Won't know until I see it :)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both 10s

Thanks, timberwolf!

The Chicago Bulls ones are cool, but I doubt they'd change to these.

I definitely agree with you, especially given how unique and iconic their current design is.

Like the uniform except the spears down the side. I'd add the cable cars around the back numbers like the San Francisco Warriors used to have. I don't think any Native American themed designs would be allowed by the NBA.

Those are what the Hornets should wear.

Your comment regarding the Native American pattern brings up an interesting point....with all the sensitivity surrounding the Washington Redskins situation, I'd be inclined to believe the NBA would err on the side of caution and avoid it altogether. As for the cable cars, I definitely wouldn't mind incorporating them into an alternate!

I'm excited to see the cavs, every one of these looks great.

Thanks! I wanted to have the Cavs drafted in time to post while The Finals were still going on, but I'm too late. Eventually they'll be completed, though!

For the Bulls you could fill up more space on the shorts by making the stars larger and stacking them on top of each other vertically. I really like the hardwood pattern for Boston (especially the green one), but I sense that there are too many patterns filling side panels.

Thanks for the comments! The city of Chicago's flag contains the four stars horizontally, so I'd be hesitant to rearrange that element in a vertical fashion. I'm also bothered by lack of continuity between the side panels on jerseys and shorts, but I'm not sure stars up and down the entire side paneling is a look I'd consider appropriate for the Bulls.

As for the several sublimated side patterns on these concepts, I have a trio of reasons: 1) certain patterns and designs tie into a team's and/or a city's identity much more effectively than does generic striping; 2) Using a Nike template with the speculation and now recent confirmation of Nike taking over as the NBA's new apparel outfitter starting with the 2017/18 season, I want to incorporate a new, almost signature feel to these concepts - many of Nike's college basketball uniforms contain subtle graphics on jerseys and/or shorts, so the side panels allow for similar implementation within the somewhat limited confines of the basketball uniform as a canvas; 3) In an effort to create unique and original concepts, I've worked primarily with teams for which I've been able to identify patterns and designs unique to their team's and/or city's identity - I have almost two dozen teams remaining, for most of which I have relatively few unique design elements in comparison to the teams that have already been posted.

I feel like the parquet has it's place on an alternate uniform, but I think it feels forced on the mains. Just a heads up, I would stray from the gray on the home, Celtics fans as a whole were extremely disappointed with the alternate that was rolled out this year. If you're dead set against a sleeve trim, I would suggest making the stripes going down the sides wider and removing the parquet all together.

I think a St. Patty's day alternate with the same layout as the away, but replacing the green inside the white collar and stripes with gold, as well as rplacing the parquet pattern's color with gold.

Just my $0.02, otherwise, I really appreciate attempting to keep the integrity of the history.

You make a very good point regarding the parquet pattern being more appropriately placed on an alternate uniform, and that's exactly how I originally envisioned it....several months ago I worked on a green and gold St. Patty's Day alternate for them with parquet patterned side panels, and within the current norm for uniforms it's certainly more fitting on there as opposed to on primary uniforms. The parquet pattern on the home uniform is intended to be more of a white sublimated pattern, so I'll be adjusting that to make it appear less gray - those gray "City Pride" alternates are absolutely abysmal.

Or how about making the gray parquet element on the home white jersey green instead, and make the green stripe white (or gray). Since there's no front view of the shorts, I'm wondering if you are keeping the shamrock logo in the middle of the waistband or not.

Also, I wonder how a white Team Jordan logo would look on the Bulls uniform. And I actually preferred the Hornets jersey before you changed the colors of the stripes. It's not the colors that's bugging me, it's the fact that it's more symmetrical (the two purple lines down the middle). The fact that the stripes are asymmetrical have become more endearing. It doesn't have to be green, but less color symmetry looks odd but right. (All of this is just my opinion.)

Oh, and the Pacers. The word "PACERS" seems too spread out for me. I know if you tighten the space between the letters it will create too much blank space on both sides of the word, but I think it might look better. Or not. Won't know until I see it :)

Thick green stripes on the Celtics' home uniform may be a little too radical of a change to their traditional look for my tastes, but I'll have to reserve final judgment until I can create and evaluate a visual. I also really like your suggestion regarding the Hornets' pinstripes, as the asymmetrical color balance with the updated color palette may provide the perfect balance of nostalgia and modernity....another look I'll have to create and evaluate before making a decision. I originally had the 'PACERS' more spaced out, but later edited the post with a version with reduced spacing to reflect that of the 'INDIANA' wordmark on the away uniform. I'm not sure which version(s) you've seen, but below are the original and revised versions....please let me know your thoughts!

Original

Fckpg7F.jpg

Revised

Om8BeQ4.jpg

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, everybody! I've been out of town the past few days, but I've finished drafting uniform concepts for the reborn Seattle Supersonics. They return to the Gary Payton & Shawn Kemp-era color palette, with the jersey arches being leveled out and a sublimated sonic wave pattern outlining the Space Needle being applied to the side panels of the shorts.

Seattle Supersonics Home Uniform

KRvOTpF.jpg

Seattle Supersonics Away Uniform

bIfr3Ic.jpg

Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

Very well done! Love the touch of the Needle. 10!

Thanks!

I really like all the uniforms, with Chicago i think if you incorporated something in the jersey to match the shorts that it would take it over the top.

The first thing that came to mind was incorporating the bull horns around the neckline/collar area, but I'm struggling to think of a half-decent way to execute it. That's all I've got right now, though.

I've been posting these concepts on Instagram (@icniivad) to try and get some of my work out there more, and with a lot of unveilings coinciding with certain hashtags and trending topics, I've decided to put together a few concepts for tomorrow's unveilings to hopefully take advantage of the power of social media.

The Charlotte Hornets will unveil what is believed to be a city pride alternate, so I've used my previous design to create a purple 'BUZZ CITY' alternate uniform.

Charlotte Hornets Alternate Uniform

rUTyfUe.jpg

Also, the Los Angeles Clippers will be unveiling their new uniforms tomorrow as well. I've struggled with this concept especially given the tight window within which I was working, but given the leaks we've seen from their re-branding effort I'm more than comfortable sharing this concept and hopefully gaining some useful feedback and suggestions! I've moved them to San Diego to avoid the redundancy of Los Angeles-based teams, and with that they've returned to their powder blue and orange color palette. The marine signal flags on the shorts spell out S.D.C.

San Diego Clippers Home Uniform

PJn4LnN.jpg

San Diego Clippers Away Uniform

6wT4wTn.jpg

I wanted to get to the Philadelphia 76ers in time for their uniform unveiling tomorrow, but unfortunately the Clippers took all of my work time this evening. They're on the way, though. Thanks for looking!

The flags are used at sea and are supposed to represent the letters, but I think it makes the side panel look crowded and should be reduced or moved. My only suggestion for Charlotte would be using the three tertiary colors already in their pallet, all around this is pretty good work and I like most of the other concepts too.

Thick green stripes on the Celtics' home uniform may be a little too radical of a change to their traditional look for my tastes, but I'll have to reserve final judgment until I can create and evaluate a visual. I also really like your suggestion regarding the Hornets' pinstripes, as the asymmetrical color balance with the updated color palette may provide the perfect balance of nostalgia and modernity....another look I'll have to create and evaluate before making a decision. I originally had the 'PACERS' more spaced out, but later edited the post with a version with reduced spacing to reflect that of the 'INDIANA' wordmark on the away uniform. I'm not sure which version(s) you've seen, but below are the original and revised versions....please let me know your thoughts!

Original

Fckpg7F.jpg

Revised

Om8BeQ4.jpg

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, everybody! I've been out of town the past few days, but I've finished drafting uniform concepts for the reborn Seattle Supersonics. They return to the Gary Payton & Shawn Kemp-era color palette, with the jersey arches being leveled out and a sublimated sonic wave pattern outlining the Space Needle being applied to the side panels of the shorts.

Seattle Supersonics Home Uniform

KRvOTpF.jpg

Seattle Supersonics Away Uniform

bIfr3Ic.jpg

Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

Well, the Pacers wording does look better tightened up, but now your original spacing doesn't look as bad, either, oddly enough. I think it's maybe because the number is too big and/or too far to the right. It might look better if it wasn't so far to the right (from our perspective) of the jersey, or maybe it'd look good centered, but since it's meant to mimic and pay tribute to the FloJo-designed unis then they should stay off-centered, and rightly so.

Didn't get an answer as far as the Shamrock logo on your Celtics shorts goes. Did you include one? Are you a fan of logos on waistbands or more of a purist?

Really digging the Seattle jerseys. If only they had a team... Also, as for your Clippers jerseys, it's better by leaps and bounds than what Ballmer's group came up with. They won't admit it, and in fact they appear to be doubling down on their crummy design. At least they are making an effort to befriend Clipper alumni, which up to this point probably wouldn't have wanted to be associated with the team after they had left or retired.

Those Clippers look amazingly good,I just wish their past alt was their primary.

But that Sonics alt is too plain. Try and add those curves from the old unis,and might as well redesign the team as well,like the 90's Sonics.

All and all,this series is good.

2v1ao9y.jpg

TRhBP9N.png

YO2Xb6F.png

cubsfansig.jpg

I really appreciate all of the input everybody! I've made some revisions to each of the last three teams based on your thoughts and ideas, and the results along with some of my own thoughts and questions are below.

The Bulls didn't receive anything major - only an enlargement of their script. I really like the way the 'Chicago' wordmark looks, but I'm admittedly not a huge fan of the 'Bulls' wordmark....I went through literally thousands of script fonts, but that was the best one I could find. Any and all font suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Chicago Bulls Home Uniform

zkzuhli.jpg

Chicago Bulls Away Uniform

14O2XGq.jpg

The Pacers retained the sublimated checkerboard patterns, but received contrasting side panels with thicker striping. I think this works much better than the original version, as it eliminates the bareness without overdoing it. I also fixed the spacing on the home wordmark, as the letters were too far apart.

Indiana Pacers Home Uniform

e11kYyE.jpg

Indiana Pacers Away Uniform

ggE0wAx.jpg

I'm very comfortable with the original version of the Warriors' uniforms, as I envision them as a team with a clean, classic look without many frills. However, I thought it'd be fun to experiment with the Aztec-inspired patterns in some capacity. Unfortunately, I'm not a huge fan of the way the sublimated side panels turned out....it reminds me of the back patterns on Adidas' sleeved Latin Nights jerseys, and too closely resembling a fashion jersey for my tastes. If anyone has any suggestions for other ways to incorporate such a pattern I'm open to suggestions.

San Francisco Warriors Home Uniform

AALnecD.jpg

San Francisco Warriors Away Uniform

Hmza8ho.jpg

Thanks!

All 3 are perfect.

Very well done! Love the touch of the Needle. 10!

Thanks!

I really like all the uniforms, with Chicago i think if you incorporated something in the jersey to match the shorts that it would take it over the top.

The first thing that came to mind was incorporating the bull horns around the neckline/collar area, but I'm struggling to think of a half-decent way to execute it. That's all I've got right now, though.

I've been posting these concepts on Instagram (@icniivad) to try and get some of my work out there more, and with a lot of unveilings coinciding with certain hashtags and trending topics, I've decided to put together a few concepts for tomorrow's unveilings to hopefully take advantage of the power of social media.

The Charlotte Hornets will unveil what is believed to be a city pride alternate, so I've used my previous design to create a purple 'BUZZ CITY' alternate uniform.

Charlotte Hornets Alternate Uniform

rUTyfUe.jpg

Also, the Los Angeles Clippers will be unveiling their new uniforms tomorrow as well. I've struggled with this concept especially given the tight window within which I was working, but given the leaks we've seen from their re-branding effort I'm more than comfortable sharing this concept and hopefully gaining some useful feedback and suggestions! I've moved them to San Diego to avoid the redundancy of Los Angeles-based teams, and with that they've returned to their powder blue and orange color palette. The marine signal flags on the shorts spell out S.D.C.

San Diego Clippers Home Uniform

PJn4LnN.jpg

San Diego Clippers Away Uniform

6wT4wTn.jpg

I wanted to get to the Philadelphia 76ers in time for their uniform unveiling tomorrow, but unfortunately the Clippers took all of my work time this evening. They're on the way, though. Thanks for looking!

As a Hornets fan, I wanted to say a couple of things about the Hornets jersey. It's very good, just a couple of small things. One, I don't think that you should have two consecutive teal stripes, I'm not sure why, but I just don't think its looks in place. Also, these are more just practical things, and I'm not sure how realistic you were trying to make the jersey to what they might unveil, but the nba logo would be on the back, jordan brand wouldn't be doing the jersey, and it has already been announced that it will be sleeved. Other than these things, it looks very good.

16ger2r.jpg

2nlz4b7.jpg

2mmcyh1.jpgS2006_zpsooeigvfb.png

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't updated this thread for a while, mainly because I just haven't been able to create anything I felt was worth sharing. I appreciate the comments that have been left, and fully intend to continue this series once I get back into a productive space creatively.With Uni-Watch hosting a re-design contest for the Los Angeles Clippers, though, I decided to at least put together something. I know I just posted a San Diego Clippers concept a couple weeks ago, but I feel as though this one is better executed.

The Clippers' '90s uniforms weren't horrendous, but they were a strange mix of bland, yet over-complicated. This concept draws primarily from that set, yet simplifies the look to create a cleaner, more sleek, modern-yet-classic look - sleeve and shorts trim as well as waistband striping are eliminated, and a bolder, more freely flowing script is introduced. The design of the alternate uniform actually draws from that of their recently unveiled away uniforms, and a revamped San Diego Clippers-era logo has been included to further both the simplicity and nostalgia of this concept.

Los Angeles Clippers Home Uniform

WEQCUhq.jpg

Los Angeles Clippers Away Uniform

LP4Rp7u.jpg

Los Angeles Clippers Alternate Uniform

itLldF6.jpg

Thanks for looking! C+C always welcomed and appreciated!

Not bad at all but the other version with "San Diego" colors etc..was better

I agree, there are too many teams that wear red, white and blue in the NBA. All the uniforms in this thread are lovely, but I especially like the side details on the Warriors and the Sonics uniforms. Keep it up! :D

Thanks all, I really appreciate the feedback! While this may or may not become part of my concept series, I've made a conscious effort to eliminate the overabundance of red, white, and blue color schemes; the Hawks have reverted to their red, black, yellow, and white, and I with what I have envisioned thus far I intend to employ distinctly unique color palettes for both the Pistons and the Sixers. Washington will likely retain the red, white, and blue color scheme, but if anything it'll be a truer red and a navy blue. That being said, I do like the San Diego Clippers-era color palette, so I may adjust this design to reflect those colors and see how it compares.

Here's the adjusted color scheme....I'm not sure which I prefer just yet, but I'm interested in your thoughts!

Los Angeles Clippers Home Uniform

2F9zP3H.jpg

Los Angeles Clippers Away Uniform

pcroKys.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I love these! But I preferred the Clippers with the "C" used in your San Diego Clippers redesign better. Also, the "3" looks almost like an "8" because the top and bottom are way too close to the middle, if that makes sense. It's not so much the case with these colors, but when you had the red-white-blue version, it was much more noticeable. But yeah, these are rad!

Archived