Concept Thread Think Tank

raysox

I didn't know we could post sports ideas in here!  I have a few:

One-on-one handball: Smaller court, smaller ball.  Three goals instead of one, sort of
like Quidditch.  Players would switch between offense and defense.

Competitive trash can basketball: two on two in a square room, small trash can in each
corner, two cans for each team.  The paper ball cannot be dribbled obviously, but walls
and ceiling could be used to pass and for bank shots.  An extra element of this is to play
with rolling office chairs instead of running/standing.  That could add a hockey element
to it.

Paper baseball: pitching a paper ball from a few feet away, cardboard tube used as a bat.  Played in a gym.

Mini golf + field hockey: Instead of goals there would be cups at the ends of the court.  No fixed goalie, but players could try to block shots with stick.  Shots would have to be taken outside of goal crease.  The court could also have obstacles like blocks, hills, etc.

I would also like to see more sports played under black light with flourescent elements in the uniforms.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

• 2 months later...
On 1/20/2019 at 1:02 PM, mcrosby said:

I'm struggling to think of a replacement name for Real Salt Lake. I know, I know, as terrible as the name is, it has become a staple of the league. Fooey to that. Anyone have name ideas? 

• Crossroads FC
  • SLCity SC
  • Hive Salt Lake

-Salt Lake Royals FC/SC (basically the Americanization of their current name)

-Salt Lake City FC/SC

-Utah Swarm FC/SC

On 1/14/2019 at 6:22 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I didn't know we could post sports ideas in here!  I have a few:

One-on-one handball: Smaller court, smaller ball.  Three goals instead of one, sort of
like Quidditch.  Players would switch between offense and defense.

I really like the idea of a individual sport being that dynamic, but for me this concept might work better with on a 2v2 with substitutes and goals on both ends of the court.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Bowcat said:

Hey all, I just finished making a Nike NFL template. What would be the best way for me to share it on here? I use GIMP so its a .xcf file. If you'd like a quick preview of a piece of it here's a link to a sample jersey+sleeve: https://imgur.com/a/MuoTQIc

upload it to mediafire and leave a link in your topic post. Put in the concepts forum and add some concepts to the post, just to show off what you can do with it (also i think you need 3 posts before you can create a topic in the concepts forum)

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2019 at 2:02 PM, mcrosby said:

I'm struggling to think of a replacement name for Real Salt Lake. I know, I know, as terrible as the name is, it has become a staple of the league. Fooey to that. Anyone have name ideas? 

• Crossroads FC
  • SLCity SC
  • Hive Salt Lake

Would you be interested in starting a concept where all MLS clubs have Americanized nicknames?

Then after that, maybe the USL?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, mongster_03 said:

I'm so sorry...I'm trying to create a new thread. How do I do that?

You need to have at least three posts on the boards (I'm fairly certain it's three, anyway) before you can start a topic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Currently trying to start up a new concept. A re-imagined second American Soccer League. In real life it still is/was the longest running professional soccer league in the states. running from 1933 up to 1983. Since information is so sparse (The best source I found was Italian Wikipedia, yes really.) about the league, especially during it's early days this gives me more creative licence on how the teams could look, especially if you compare it to my other series, which was/is mostly just remaking crests. Most of the teams around this time where either named after companies that owned them or after regions where the team's founders where from. This is where I'm a bit stuck since I'm trying to avoid using the standard names for soccer clubs. A lot of teams just went with <insert city> Americans, and I sometimes can't come up with alternatives.  Here are some examples:

Uhrik Truckers/Philadelphia German-American -> For now I'm going with Philadelphia Field Club, but I'm not sure about it. Maybe I could try something that alludes to the club's German roots. The other Philly team are going to be called the Nationals or Pass On. Both really cool names. 

Cleveland Bruells/American Hungarians -> Not sure what to name them after. Maybe Cleveland Barons or Caps but besides that haven't got any idea. 

Kearny Scots-American -> This is the only New Jersey team for the moment, so I went with New Jersey Highlanders. NJ Thistles could maybe also be a realistic option.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, XcellNoah31 said:

Where do you request logo makeovers? I want one redone for the company I work for (logo hasn’t changed since ‘78).

I moved your initial request to the Requests forum (which you can view once you get 100 posts). If a member here wants to assist, they will PM you about it. 

• 2 weeks later...

My project is a bit of a biggie - I'm building a 1,760 team US soccer pyramid, made up of 80 22-team leagues building to a single top division.  Teams are created across the 50 states and DC by agglomerating zip codes so that each team has a connected population base of about 175,000 people.  Obviously more rural areas cover much bigger geographical areas, but any location could theoretically ascend to the top division where they would presumably expand their fan base and move into a larger stadium.  Its a work in progress - I have about 250 of the teams defined and named so far and I think I can get that part finished in a reasonable time frame before I die of old age or something else. 

My structure is (number of leagues per tier) 1-2-2-3//end of pro leagues//12-18-18-24, with 10% of the teams being pro and 90% semi-pro.  This is somewhat similar to what England is heading towards up until the last tier before you enter the County Leagues 1-1-1-1//end of league system//1-2-4-8-16-16 but is regionalized sooner (like Germany, France, Italy, Spain) and has a larger pyramid base to reduce travel given the sheer size of the US.  

As an example, the San Antonio Metro Area, which I have completed, has 14 teams.  Eventually these teams will find their place in the greater pyramid - if one of them becomes the strongest they can keep their colors and nickname but perhaps take on the San Antonio name, sort of like how Newton Heath eventually grew to become Manchester United.  Most of the teams will scramble in the lower leagues fighting over mediocre players and hoping to develop homegrown young stars that can get them through the bottleneck to become pro clubs.

As for how this fits this forum - it is a goal to make a badge/kit for each team.  In the days when that other forum still existed, I thought I might try to drop in a rough sketch for one team every week (which would only take a little over 30 years to get through the lot).  However, there is no way I can produce anything in the current forum which meets the spectacular quality of work y'all do here.  This concept does overlap a bit with some other think tank ideas I've seen where people wanted to make small city- or state-based leagues - if anyone is at all interested in using this team-creation concept for any pet projects of any type, I'm definitely happy to share my work.

Lurked for a while - its been a great read and I'm constantly in awe at all the creativity.

On 10/9/2019 at 6:37 PM, mcrosby said:

Love some ideas for National Women's Soccer League expansion. Looking for cities and names. 

Sacramento

Atlanta

New England

Louisville

???

How about Milwaukee, San Diego, Phoenix, and St. Louis?

• Like 1

VHj90kn.png

On 10/7/2019 at 8:56 PM, Luchs said:

My project is a bit of a biggie - I'm building a 1,760 team US soccer pyramid, made up of 80 22-team leagues building to a single top division.  Teams are created across the 50 states and DC by agglomerating zip codes so that each team has a connected population base of about 175,000 people.  Obviously more rural areas cover much bigger geographical areas, but any location could theoretically ascend to the top division where they would presumably expand their fan base and move into a larger stadium.  Its a work in progress - I have about 250 of the teams defined and named so far and I think I can get that part finished in a reasonable time frame before I die of old age or something else. 

My structure is (number of leagues per tier) 1-2-2-3//end of pro leagues//12-18-18-24, with 10% of the teams being pro and 90% semi-pro.  This is somewhat similar to what England is heading towards up until the last tier before you enter the County Leagues 1-1-1-1//end of league system//1-2-4-8-16-16 but is regionalized sooner (like Germany, France, Italy, Spain) and has a larger pyramid base to reduce travel given the sheer size of the US.  

As an example, the San Antonio Metro Area, which I have completed, has 14 teams.  Eventually these teams will find their place in the greater pyramid - if one of them becomes the strongest they can keep their colors and nickname but perhaps take on the San Antonio name, sort of like how Newton Heath eventually grew to become Manchester United.  Most of the teams will scramble in the lower leagues fighting over mediocre players and hoping to develop homegrown young stars that can get them through the bottleneck to become pro clubs.

As for how this fits this forum - it is a goal to make a badge/kit for each team.  In the days when that other forum still existed, I thought I might try to drop in a rough sketch for one team every week (which would only take a little over 30 years to get through the lot).  However, there is no way I can produce anything in the current forum which meets the spectacular quality of work y'all do here.  This concept does overlap a bit with some other think tank ideas I've seen where people wanted to make small city- or state-based leagues - if anyone is at all interested in using this team-creation concept for any pet projects of any type, I'm definitely happy to share my work.

Lurked for a while - its been a great read and I'm constantly in awe at all the creativity.

This sounds like a really cool project. How do you plan on simulating the seasons and keeping track of everything?