Events/Controversies that you forgot happened

AndrewMLind

Discussing the Nuggets in the NBA changes topic forced me to recall the Nuggets-Knicks brawl (more like skirmish and sucker punch) in 2006. Even as a Melo fan, I had generally forgotten about this, as it's mostly overshadowed by the Pacers-Pistons Malace in the Palace two years prior.

But the tipping point of my curiosity was a tweet from PFT, discussing the Chargers' sticky towel incident in 2012. Although they were ultimately proved innocent of any wrongdoing, it was treated like Deflategate for quite some time.

Are there any events/controversies/incidents that happened that you largely forgot about or that slowly faded into time?

Not so much forgotten, but I hadn't thought about it in a while....but damn, I didn't realize it'd been about 12 years since that one Baylor basketball player killed his teammate...and that was simply the start of the weirdness. As the old saying goes, truth is stranger than fiction...definitely was in that case.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I forgot the PanAm Games were still a thing until I heard why Toronto wasn't hosting any World Cup games.

I'm not certain the Pan Ams conflicted, they're in July. Toronto isn't hosting any soccer btw, all games will be played in Hamilton. Pan Am venues are scattered all over the region. I might be going to the Pan Am gold medal match... ole ole ole!

BMO though is hosting a Gold Cup double header on July 14.

Soooo much soccer to compute...

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I actually do have one that I forgot! My wife drove from Dayton, OH back to Buffalo the other day, and she told me how crazy it was that motorcycle riders don't have to wear helmets. I told her it's the same in Pennsylvania and how Ben Roethlisberger got into a pretty bad wreck not wearing a helmet. She said, "So he wears a helmet when some guys try to tackle him, but not driving along at 55 MPH with 4,000 lb cars all around him?" I couldn't argue.

• 2 months later...

The 2006 Knicks-Nuggets brawl and the Malice At The Palace are no longer the big deals they were to me at the time, since I have read a lot of NBA and ABA history and old newspaper accounts of fights that were as bad or worse than those two. If the Malice...had happened in 1974 or 1964 or '54, it would have been just another incident. Fights that involved spectators happened a few times a season back then, and fights that were restricted to the players were an almost nightly occurrence in those days.

And in the 1980s and '90s I saw several brawls that were wilder than that Knicks-Nuggets brawl, such as the Celtics-Knicks (started by Danny Ainge hard-fouling Darrell Walker) brawl in the 1984 Eastern Conference Semi-Finals, the one between Larry Bird and Julius "Dr. J" Erving in the 1984-85 season, the 1990 Sixers-Pistons melee featuring Charles Barkley vs. Bill Laimbeer, the 1993 Knicks-Suns brawl, and the 1994 playoff brawls between the Knicks and Bulls, and the Heat vs. the Hawks. Also Game 2 of the 1977 Finals when Maurice Lucas went after Darryl Dawkins and fans ran onto the floor and got involved with a couple of coaches and a fight earlier in the playoffs between Golden State's Charles Dudley and Detroit's Eric Money which escalated into the Pistons' Bob Lanier going into the stands and throwing punches at a fan who had leveled the Pistons' M.L. Carr with a sucker-punch.

I think the aforementioned '04 and '06 incidents are regarded as such catastrophes because they happened in a time when there is much more widespread and more voluminous media coverage. Back in the '70s and '80s you'd see a brawl happen during a game, then you might see it on the local late-night news, and read about it in the next morning's paper...and that would be the end of it. Nowadays something happens and it gets constant 24-hour replays and commentary on ESPN and Fox Sports, plus there's sports-talk radio now and a million blogs and websites to re-show and talk even more about the incident. And that has a tendency to make things appear to be worse than they actually are.

I feel like you could basically list anything that happened more than a year ago. Things like the Luis Suarez biting thing, or his handball in 2010, or the Gibert Arenas gun thing, were pretty big deals at the time, but no one talks about them anymore. The Lebron James decision was a big deal when it happened, but even using the phrase "I will be taking my talents to" sounds extremely dated now. Dennis Rodman going to North Korea to organize a basketball game (and do whatever else) was a big controversy when it happened, and that just happened last year, but now no one talks about it. The passage of time just does that.

Are there any major events/controversies that are more than a year or two old that anyone ever really regularly talks about? I can't think of anything. The same thing will happen with Deflategate within the next year.

Archived