NBA switching to Nike in 2017

gosioux76

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see this. No more three stripes all over the warmup and sideline gear after next season.

Instead all the warmup and sideline gear will feature team wordmarks in exclusively Futura Condensed Extra Black. Yay?

If I had to pick between those two (which I'm sure I won't), absolutely.

Love that they will be adding the swoosh to the jerseys.

Why in the world is that a good thing? I mean, maybe if it was the choice between the manufacturer logo and, say, Xerox, but it's not. We'll get corporate sponsors *and* swooshes.

Because for people who play basketball, the swoosh has actual cultural value.

inb4 I'm a Nike apologist. I don't want to see sweatboxes for NBA teams either. And when it comes to sponsor logos on jerseys, we know that's something that, just like roundels--and possibly sleeves--the NBA is pushing, not the manufacturer.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Love that they will be adding the swoosh to the jerseys.

Why in the world is that a good thing? I mean, maybe if it was the choice between the manufacturer logo and, say, Xerox, but it's not. We'll get corporate sponsors *and* swooshes.

Agreed. I can't see how that is a positive.

Is it out of the question that the Sonics come back ....blah blah blah

sonicjacked!!!!!1

sonicjacked.png

Oh, cool, a meme meant to trivialize the feelings of a fan whose team was hijacked in the first place. Can't wait till the MLB "normalizes relations with Cuba" by relocating the Cubs there.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Can't wait till the MLB "normalizes relations with Cuba" by relocating the Cubs there.

El Cubacubras?

Re Nike swoosh: I don't love the fact that a supplier logo will appear on all jerseys, but the swoosh is pretty inoffensive. I'll live.

Brace yourself, new color pallets are coming.

Soon every team will have volt or anthracite in their scheme. It will be mandatory.

Weren't we saying that about the NFL three years ago?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Hold up. Why is Nike putting their logo on the NBA uniforms in the new deal. When Nike had the deal with the NBA before prior to Reebok, the swoosh never appeared on NBA uniforms.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Hold up. Why is Nike putting their logo on the NBA uniforms in the new deal. When Nike had the deal with the NBA before prior to Reebok, the swoosh never appeared on NBA uniforms.

NBA receives more money by allowing the logo this time.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

If the Swoosh (or Jumpman) is going to be inevitable (or worse, guaranteed), where would you like to see it placed? Logos have traditionally been screened or embroidered on the left side of the jersey when looked at from the front (or the opposite side of the NBA Logoman when the Jerry West is on the left side, e.g., Heat), but since the Logoman has been relegated to the back of the jersey, a void was created and the jersey looks naked without something where the Logoman used to reside on the front of the jersey, why not put the Swoosh there instead? It looks better, and, if you follow Nike's pattern for how they put the Swoosh on the NFL jerseys, if they put it on the left side, I almost start thinking it looks weird if the Swoosh wasn't reversed (to mimic the reverse American waving flag on military uniforms). Yeah, it wouldn't make sense to reverse the Swoosh since it's on the front of the jersey and not the side of the jersey, so unless Nike is going to continue with the lousy sleeved jersey tradition that Adidas revived, the Swoosh isn't likely to be reversed. But what about a third option? Think about the MLB undershirts and how it appears to make the Majestic MLB jerseys look like they're made by Nike. Who would/wouldn't like to see the Swoosh in the middle of the NBA jersey? Yes, most (or at least many) of us would prefer not having any manufacturer's logo on the jerseys. (The NCAA jerseys look horrible, especially UCLA in the NCAA tournament and in the Final Four, when, along with the Wooden patch, which I love, it becomes almost NASCAR-like, when you also have the Pac-12 patch and the Adidas logo on the front.) But if it must be done, which way would you prefer it to be displayed? Left, center or right? Let's hear from you.
HaHFaYM.jpg

Archived