NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

No, silly, this thread isn't about Doug Gilmour! It's about the Phoenix Coyotes. With the Manitobification of the old rolling thread and "Back in the Game" lost to history, we need a new one.

Matt Hulsizer gave up on trying to buy the team, if he ever started in the first place, which I contend that he did not.

http://www.bizjourna...bid-to-buy.html

The buried lede here is that apparently Jerry Reinsdorf is poking around again. If I had to guess, it's probably to buy the team for his son.

Haven't heard much from Quebecor, which is just the way the league likes it.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

By process of elimination, I think we can tell where this is all going to lead to:

1. Seattle doesn't have a hockey-friendly arena, nor is there the public nor political will to build one, so they're out.

2. Quebec is currently railing against the government's attempted strongarming of a financing bill to build their new hockey cathedral, so that $450M pipedream is out, tabernacle.

3. Houston is a potential, but if the owner of the arena isn't interested in NHL hockey, well, that's out.

4. Kansas City doesn't seem to give a rat's, so they're out.

5. Hamilton is out of the equation until Jim Balsillie can invent a mobile operating system to complete with iOS and Android, so they're out.

So as far as I see it, this leaves four potential landing spots for the Coyotes

1. Phoenix, because maybe, MAYBE, MAYBE with strong local ownership and some kind of stability, they can make it sorta kinda work in their own special way.

2. Portland, because they have an NHL-ready arena, a decent support in place for the Winterhawks, and a built-in rivalry with Vancouver and San Jose.

3. Atlantis, because hey, as long as we're dreaming.

4. The moon, because more people have been there than have been to Jobing.com Arena.

• Like 1

Welcome to DrunjFlix

It's getting that bad up in Quebec? Can't say I blame 'em; building a sports facility on spec is a bad idea. Maybe actually knowing the team is coming would help, or maybe Quebecor could chip in more than they are. I'm not ready to 100% strike QC from the list; there are still too many positives associated with it that don't exist in, say, Hamilton or Kansas City or whatever. The others, yeah, forget it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Quebecor, from what I can glean, is basically ponying up naming rights money. They're expecting the three levels of government to pay for the arena itself, and if the Feds aren't going to cough up any dough (since the precedent for that came from the MTS Centre), and the province and citry can't exactly afford a quarter-million Canbucks each, then it's awfully dicey.

Someone from there might be able to give a better viewpoint (Pollux? GeorgesL?) but that's my full understanding of the situation.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

If memory serves me right, the deal that Reinsdorf left on the table pretty much relieved him of any and all personal financial risk, and allowed him to sell to anyone of his choosing - whether they cared about keeping the Coyotes in Glendale or not - after five years. And that's before Glendale got really, really desperate. This time around might involve literal wheelbarrows of cash on his doorstep.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

FWIW, I saw this posted on HFBoards the other day. Not sure if there's any updates on it since last week because, as I said, it's HFBoards and it's turned into a Hamilton vs. Sun Belt argument over there

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2011/06/20/westgate-city-center-in-glendale.html

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Atlanta might be in business if Atlanta Spirit soon sells the Hawks and Philips Arena to a prospective owner that wants to give hockey half-a-chance.

The NHL let the Thrashers relocate because they wanted to rid themselves of the Atlanta Spirit under any means necessary. On some reports, Atlanta Spirit wouldn't sell the Thrashers to local ownership because they didn't want to give up 41 dates for hockey unless the prospective owner paid rent fees out the ass.

With Winnipeg out of the way, there's very few realistic places (and just as many prospective owners) that are breathing down the necks of Glendale and the NHL to get a deal done.

I would imagine if Quebecor decides to chip in between 110 to 200 million dollars (depending on if a NHL franchise ends up relocating there) to help fund the New Quebec City Amphitheatre, it would be fairly simple math. If the NHL does indeed return to Quebec City, Quebecor could possibly be willing to pay for half the cost, and if the NHL doesn't return, then you're splitting up to 75% or 300 million three ways (if what Lee said is true).

As for other markets, I believe Leslie Alexander was at one point, interested in purchasing the Oilers a while back, in order to relocate the team to Houston. I'm not trying to pump up Houston as a perfect landing spot, but there was some interest previously, and I believe the Toyota Center is a good locale for hockey. It can seat up to 17,800 for hockey games, and previously Houston wasn't considered by the NHL for hockey, because there was too much indecision in the market as to whether or not a new arena would ever be built. Obviously, that's not the case anymore.

Would Milwaukee be a possibility? The Admirals seem to get really strong support, and TV ratings for hockey are good in the market. Also, they came close to getting a team in the '80s when the Blackhawks nearly moved there.

Naturally, Milwaukee would do well in the NHL. I would imagine it would be an instant success like the Minnesota Wild, but the main problem is the Bradley Center, which is quite dated for an arena built in 1988. It's not aged well, and I'm not sure if the city of Milwaukee, much less the state of Wisconsin has any plans to fund and build an arena in the near future.

I hate you, you :censored:ing :censored:. You get my damn hopes up that there was going to be another Adventures in Babysitting movie with Elizabeth Shue's hot ass and Thor....and its about the :censored:ing Coyotes and how they couldn't :censored: their way out of a paper bag to save their life or franchise.

:censored: you, and the coyote you came in on.

I figured that since what was originally the Coyotes thread merged with the Thrashers thread and is now the Jets thread, this needed a new place for uncluttered discussion.

Hulzier ends bid to buy Coyotes

For the sake of everything, either move the team or blow it up. Nobody wants them or thinks that it' worth the hassle to buy them. Just ridiculous.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The best part is that the article says that Hulsizer is still interested in buying an NHL franchise.

Who wants to put money down that Hulsizer ends up buying the Panthers/Blue Jackets and doing whatever he may please with them before the Coyotes ever leave Phoenix?

I haven't gotten around to reading all the threads today, and that thread's title doesn't exactly explain what it's talking about. So I missed it. Sorry.

Merge/Delete/Graveyard/Whatever you want to do. I felt this thread name went along with the continuing story better anyways.

*slow clap*

Well played Commissioner, well played.

trollface.jpg

U MAD ATLANTA?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)