NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Oof. Dixie Square West. Maybe Dan Aykroyd will make another horrendous Blues Brothers sequel and trash the joint.

Blues Brothers 2000 wasn't that bad.

It was a sequel to arguably the most iconic Chicago film, shot in Toronto to save on the budget. It was a PG sequel to an R film. It rankles the locals.

It wasn't good by any means.

The original is a classic and I know they used the entire Chicago police force and all that, but when I think of Chicago movies, the first four off the top of my head are in order: Ferris Bueller, The Fugitive, Rookie of the Year, and Home Alone. That might be my age and that I'm not from there though.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Untouchables and Ordinary People have to be up there, the former being about one of the city's most famous personages and the latter so deftly capturing the distinct repression and insularity of the North Shore that it's practically a fourth principal character. Also, show me where Rookie of the Year won Best Picture.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Oof. Dixie Square West. Maybe Dan Aykroyd will make another horrendous Blues Brothers sequel and trash the joint.

Blues Brothers 2000 wasn't that bad.

It was a sequel to arguably the most iconic Chicago film, shot in Toronto to save on the budget. It was a PG sequel to an R film. It rankles the locals.

It wasn't good by any means.

The original is a classic and I know they used the entire Chicago police force and all that, but when I think of Chicago movies, the first four off the top of my head are in order: Ferris Bueller, The Fugitive, Rookie of the Year, and Home Alone. That might be my age and that I'm not from there though.

No Wayne's World? Aurora is close enough to make the cut. Plus, Ferris Bueller gets points taken off for Cam wearing a Wings jersey.

The Untouchables and Ordinary People have to be up there, the former being about one of the city's most famous personages and the latter so deftly capturing the distinct repression and insularity of the North Shore that it's practically a fourth principal character. Also, show me where Rookie of the Year won Best Picture.

My criteria was not about which movie based in Chicago was the best. It was just the first four off the top of my head.

PvO6ZWJ.png

If true, that means either Glendale or the league has upped the guaranteed money the ownership group will get. Reinsdorf is a shrewd businessman, and he saw the other times he looked at the Coyotes that they were a money pit barring heavy subsidies. If he is looking again, things have gotten even more absurd than before. Think Glendale giving the Coyotes the entire arena and then buying it back from them for $300 million absurd.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

If I had to list ten films set and shot in Chicago that - in my opinion - best capture the atmosphere, look, feeling and/or spirit of the city and/or its residents, I'd go with (in alphabetical order):

About Last Night

Call Northside 777

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

High Fidelity

Hoop Dreams

Medium Cool

My Bodyguard

Return To Me

The Blues Brothers

The Untouchables

As a bonus, I'd add a little-seen film starring Warren Beatty entitled Mickey One. The action opens in Detroit, but soon shifts to Chicago... and it has to be seen to be believed. Ahead of its time? Riskily experimental? Hollywood's best attempt at rebuking classic film narrative? You be the judge.

Bet this is about Reinsdorf getting the strip mall for free or dirt-cheap. I'm surprised these two parties are even negotiating, because that Camelback Ranch development that was supposed to change the way we thought about spring training baseball villages has been a total money pit and hasn't come close to delivering the growth it promised. Jobing.com Field.

This will keep the Coyotes around for a few more years until one of Mr. Reinsdorf's aides informs him that they can make more money turning Jobbing.com into a parking lot. At which point I don't even see the Coyotes moving. They'll just go away because Reinsdorf doesn't really care.

Actually, if the last two years are any indication, Glendale's insistence on sneaking Reinsdorf back into negotiations with a big fat sweetheart deal will alienate the other bidder, then Reinsdorf will get cold feet again when he realizes what a toxic asset the team is. Then our favorite suburban bureaucrats are sitting around playing with their dicks yet again wondering how it could all go so wrong.

I'm all but certain that the Coyotes now have no real worth beyond the resale value of their tangible assets: hockey equipment, office supplies, company cars, stuff like that. They play in a foreclosed strip mall and their landlord pays their rent + covers their losses. Matt Hulsizer tried to buy this team for like -$15 million and he couldn't swing it. What does that say. There's no reason to buy this team but to move it.

In related troubled-asset news (neutral zone TARP?), a minority owner of the Devils sold his share to Jeffrey Vanderbeek for -$25 million. He paid to divest himself of the Devils. Is this an uh-oh?

In related troubled-asset news (neutral zone TARP?), a minority owner of the Devils sold his share to Jeffrey Vanderbeek for -$25 million. He paid to divest himself of the Devils. Is this an uh-oh?

I'd say if it helps the Devils out of existence, then it's fine by me. :D

I've been wondering for a long time though, why someone like Paul Allen hasn't offered to buy the Yotes and move them to Seattle (Tacoma Dome being the temporary venue) or Portland.

I've been wondering for a long time though, why someone like Paul Allen hasn't offered to buy the Yotes and move them to Seattle (Tacoma Dome being the temporary venue) or Portland.

First, no one that wants to move the team has been allowed to get to the serious negotiation stage.

Second, put this team in Seattle and you're just trying to start this whole mess all over again...except the Seattle area wouldn't pay Yotefare and probably wouldn't build a new arena for them. Population =/= Success. The only way for it to work in Portland would be to share ownership with the Blazers, and I just don't see that happening.

There's no arena in Seattle. Case closed. You might as well move them to Max Yasgur's farm.

Paul Allen hasn't offered to buy the team because he clearly doesn't want the team. The only person who is offering real money for this team without subsidies or TIF districts is P-K Peladeau, and we have to pretend that's not happening for a while because the fact that his money literally has hockey games on it does not augur well for staying in Arizona.

The NBA is a far, far bigger priority for the Seattle/Bellevue area. I add Bellevue because any new arena is much more likely to be built in the suburbs any time soon. There's money and political/private leadership to get something done, whereas in Seattle we're sitting on our thumbs wondering where to build bike lanes (we have a pretty worthless mayor with a pretty limited constituency right now).

An NHL team in the Seattle area would likely be a tagalong benefit to getting the Sonics back, but far from a driver of any arena effort.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/article/48060--canada-s-team-i-the-phoenix-coyotes-i--page1

Today, multiple Canadian networks pay millions of dollars to broadcast games, with the CBC paying a reported $100 million to air matches on its flagship sports program. Some say it's those de facto taxpayer dollars keeping the U.S. end of the league afloat?and Canada's not getting its due for it.

. . .

Take the struggling Phoenix Coyotes, for instance. In 2008-09 the Coyotes expected to receive US$14 million from revenue share and US$9.3 million from TV and other league revenues, Keller explains. Net ticket sales for the season were budgeted at US$16 million?which means about two-thirds of team revenue came by way of NHL subsidy. With every Canadian NHL club making money?the six Canadian teams had higher ticket revenues per game than 23 American ones in 2007-08, the last time this information was made public?it's highly plausible that most of the cash the Coyotes received came from Canadian clubs. "Revenue generated by the large Canadian viewership of professional hockey is being used to subsidize unprofitable American businesses," writes Keller.

End this silliness.