NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Devils still hold his rights I believe

They do, but there are a few things to consider. The first is that the Devils are G-d awful. Like Kovalchuk or not, the guy has talent and could help the Devils.

In the event that Lamoriello doesn't want anything to do with Kovalchuk? There are plenty of teams that wouldn't mind having him and would gladly deal with the Devils to get his rights. Again, this could lead to the Devils improving their team.

So letting Kovalchuk back into the league can help the Devils whether he plays for them or not. The only way Lamoriello doesn't let him back in is if he places spite over actually trying to improve the team he's the general manager of. I know Lou Lamoriello has been going insane the last few years but I don't think he's gone that crazy. Yet.

So put your sports hatreds aside and realize that Kovalchuk coming back to the NHL may be exactly what your team needs. One way or another.

If I remember correctly, Kovalchuk can't come back to the NHL anytime soon unless one of two things happen: Either he sits out a full year from any form of professional hockey (and gets New Jersey's consent to return), or all 30 teams have to give Kovalchuk consent. Not sure if the Devils' rivals would allow New Jersey to gain a player that makes them more of a threat...unless there are some handshake agreements like we see during expansion drafts. Hell, I'm not so sure the Devils would even give Kovalchuk permission to return after he screwed them over.

I seem to remember a 5-year waiting period for Kovalchuk. Not sure if that's where the NHL's AARP rules kick in or not.....

The Devils terminated Kovalchuk's contract, so I don't believe they retain his rights anymore (though they do have dead cap space from the recapture, which is horse :censored:; the Devils already got spanked for the illegality of the contract through fines and forfeited picks). I know that when a player rejoins the NHL from overseas during the season, he has to clear waivers in order to be signed, so maybe that's what you mean by all thirty teams "giving consent"? I mean, I don't think there's some sort of board vote on it. I don't remember anything about any five-year period.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That's to prevent teams -- teams like the Wings -- from caching talent overseas on the sly to begin the season and then adding them to the 50-man roster on favorable terms as they see fit later in the year. What was weird was that Nabokov pouted about it, refused to report, got disqualified for the year, had his contract tolled, and then eventually showed up anyway after all that instead of just trying to get a trade done to a place where he would play. Why did he even bother?

• Like 1

The Devils terminated Kovalchuk's contract, so I don't believe they retain his rights anymore (though they do have dead cap space from the recapture, which is horse :censored:; the Devils already got spanked for the illegality of the contract through fines and forfeited picks). I know that when a player rejoins the NHL from overseas during the season, he has to clear waivers in order to be signed, so maybe that's what you mean by all thirty teams "giving consent"? I mean, I don't think there's some sort of board vote on it. I don't remember anything about any five-year period.

The way I understand it (after reading a couple few articles on it)....Kovalchuk is on the "Voluntary Retied List" and won't be removed from said distinction until he turns 35 (unless one of the two scenarios I mentioned earlier happens). The Devils still own his rights until Kovalchuk turns 35. At that point, he becomes an unrestricted free agent and won't need anyone's approval to return, nor would the Devils control his rights. So I think this is where a five-year wait period kicked in.

So the 30-team vote isn't a Waiver Claim deal...it's a stand-alone process. Each of the 30 teams' GM's issue their vote. A unanimous approval means Kovalchuk returns, and 20 votes of support leads to the NHL's Board of Governors getting to decide Kovalchuk's fate. The 30-team vote only takes place if Kovalchuk doesn't sit a year from any professional league in any country. If he does sit a year, only the Devils have to give their consent. (Then the Devils either have to make a new deal or they can trade him.) Kovalchuk doesn't get removed from the VRL, even after a vote of approval, until he signs a deal with NJ (or the team he gets traded to) or sits until he's 35.

This is way too complicated. Writing this crap is the way that Gary Bettman jerks off, I'm nearly certain.

And what's the point when the NHL has already shown that they'll renege on draconian Devils sanctions if everyone sits quietly and behaves long enough? They're not exactly going hard on the Flyers with Pronger, either.

• Like 1

The Anaheim faithful couldn't even fill the lower bowl for Teemu Selanne jersey retirement night.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Anaheim faithful couldn't even fill the lower bowl for Teemu Selanne jersey retirement night.

It was near the start.

I was also reading that the Ducks locked some people out because they weren't able to buy single game tickets for it early on in the season, it had to be part of a flex/mini-pack thing IIRC.

IbjBaeE.png

As someone who was actually in the building, it was full. it was definitely full during the ceremony. It was full early. Some people left once they got down 3-1 after one. (It was a long night and people are dumb? I don't know.)

Despite all the hassles for non season ticket holders to get tickets (or for anyone to get or even afford merchandise), it was still a standing room only sell out, and it was fantastic.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |