NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

I say if I am Mr. Vinik (Lightning owner), as long as the penalty is monetary, pay the bill.  This is a stupid rule that apparently was just remembered.

The Lightning have had watch party events throughout the playoffs this year and last years postseason as well.

Don't be surprised if this new thing is shut down with a C&D. The NFL went after a drive-in that was showing Bills games for free and donating all the concession money to charity. You know... for reasons.

*breaks open office window so he can blast the ever-loving :censored: out of "Brass Bonanza" onto the street below*

http://www.clickondetroit.com/business/storm-swirls-around-karmanos-family-over-105-million-dispute-involving-carolina-hurricanes-loans

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Probably should have stuck it out with an RSN that covered the entirety of New England, huh.

Now we know why his kid got fired a few years ago.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Atlanta Thrashers were a pretty good indicator of how this "poor attendance + lack of winning + costly legal battles" game plays out. 

Honestly, though, letting Quebecor buy the Hurricanes seems like a much better option than expansion in the east, anyway.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

3 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

The Atlanta Thrashers were a pretty good indicator of how this "poor attendance + lack of winning + costly legal battles" game plays out. 

Honestly, though, letting Quebecor buy the Hurricanes seems like a much better option than expansion in the east, anyway.

I wouldn't be opposed to the plan in and of itself, but the NHL's plan for West expansion consists of "Vegas and Seattle." 

One that has the potential to dwarf Arizona in terms of cluster :censored: ness and the other is a city that apparently doesn't want to build an arena (and even if they did, the hockey team would be second fiddle to the "returning" Sonics).

Of course the whole thing was set up this way, by realigning in a way that made no room for a QC team in the East while opening two spots out West. 

The NHL though, in a great moment of OITGDNHL genius, opened those two slots before they could nail down both markets. 

So now you have two cities that have ownership groups and arenas ready for NHL hockey, but one's firmly in the eastern half of the continent. In a league where the entire alignment was shifted for two new Western teams.

And simply moving another East team to fill the hole in QC doesn't change the fact that only one of the NHL's two preferred markets out West is willing. 

All of this because the G-ddamn Detroit Red Wings can't play in the Western Conference for some reason.

• Like 5

I think Eastern Conference scheduling has been very tough on the Red Wings. Reduced travel means reduced team bonding. As a result, the team has failed to make it past the first round since leaving the West.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Like 11

I do agree that Vegas is a risk, but good franchise leadership and the more competitive edge the team will see (compared to previous expansion teams) could make a huge difference. 

I like pretty much every move Foley has made, so far. I think he should get the chance. 

No team in the eastern time zone wants to have the bulk of their games beginning from 8 to 10 pm locally. I don't think there's any putting the genie back in that bottle.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

44 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

No team in the eastern time zone wants to have the bulk of their games beginning from 8 to 10 pm locally.

They never did and wouldn't.

• Like 1

If the Red Wings were in the West, they'd play at least 41 home games at 7, plus 15 or 16 road games in the Eastern time zone, depending on how many teams are in the East.  Then there'd also be some oddball afternoon weekend games; it's not the end of the world. They chose to start most of their home games at 7:30 this year (including some that started at 8 local), so are road games starting at 8 on TV really that big of a deal?

With some creative scheduling to knock out Pacific games on weekends, there would hardly be an issuhte. Also, a 32-team league could mean going to the proposed scheduling matrix of playing the other three groupings (divisions, conferences, wtfever) only once home and once away, which the Wings were fine with initially. The point is we can't design the whole league around the Red Wings.

Still like my idea of Western Conference Toronto Maple Leafs and Eastern Conference Hamilton Tigers, giving the GTA a rough equivalent to a National/American split.

• Like 1

Why have the legacy team switch conferences when Columbus hasn't quite paid their dues?

They've been around for over 15 years now.....surely they're still not dependent on Penguins fans helping boost their ticket sales, are they?  You're the lone pro team in town once Ohio State football ends (OSU basketball is no Goliath to take down).

In the not-so-distant past, sports teams in Charlotte and Atlanta (x2) played in divisions labeled "West division" in their leagues. 

As such, I almost kinda want to see the two Florida teams thrown in the Western Conference. It's not like they aren't already isolated to some extent from the rest of the Atlantic Division as it is, anyway. Besides, maybe I'm the only one, but I love 10:00 start times in California/Western Canada and would be ok with twice as many of them.

The downside, of course, is that the West has a lot more really good teams and the road for the Lightning to accomplish anything would get a hell of a lot steeper. And, really, come to think of it, when was the last time the Eastern Conference was the better conference in the league? Back when the Penguins won back-to-back Cups, I guess, but that's a solid quarter century ago now.

spacer.png

20 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

when was the last time the Eastern Conference was the better conference in the league?

Arguably right before Lockout II, when the West was Wings, Stars, and crap. The East had a balance of strong teams: Devils, Lightning, Maple Leafs, Flyers, Senators, Bruins, debatably the Capitals before the pre-Ovechkin fire sale.

43 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

The Leafs belong with the Sabres.

Or the Blackhawks and Red Wings. I gotta side with history over proximity on this one (and two other cities in the Great Lakes region isn't even wonky NFC East Dallas geography in the first place).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Besides, maybe I'm the only one, but I love 10:00 start times in California/Western Canada and would be ok with twice as many of them.

We are more alike than I'm comfortable with. I'll take a 10 pm game over a 1 pm game (or those horrible 12 pm and 12:30 pm starts) anytime. When I own a team I will schedule one game a year for midnight for my fellow night people/insomniacs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Arguably right before Lockout II, when the West was Wings, Stars, and crap. The East had a balance of strong teams: Devils, Lightning, Maple Leafs, Flyers, Senators, Bruins, debatably the Capitals before the pre-Ovechkin fire sale.

Or the Blackhawks and Red Wings. I gotta side with history over proximity on this one (and two other cities in the Great Lakes region isn't even wonky NFC East Dallas geography in the first place).

I mean, Avs too, but maybe I just have a perception looking back to where the top Western teams were better than the top Eastern teams? I dunno. There's obviously a ton that I love about that final season before Lockout II, but I tend to think if Detroit hadn't slipped up to Calgary, that they would've beaten Tampa in the Final (same goes to Ottawa if they had met Tampa, too; for several years, the Sens had the Lightning's number and always won those games, and they won all four meetings that year as well). The Devils were the only Eastern team to win a Cup between 1995-2003; of course, they did it three times. All the other Cups went to the West. And, of course, the Cup has been largely West-dominated post-Lockout II as well.

I mean, maybe you're right! I play NHL 2004 with decent regularity and am reminded that the West had a lot of crap teams in it during that time. Maybe I'm just a bit more of the mindset that the NHL in general had a lot of crap teams back then, because there was no salary cap and so the talent wasn't nearly as distributed across the league as you would find today.

spacer.png