NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

• Like 3
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

This is the first time I've heard of Hull being a Nazi sympathizer? Not surprised considering how here in Winnipeg he's seen as some sort of god by being the best player to play here. I'd love to hear the story on it.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

It's not like one of the league's Conference championship trophies is named after a Nazi sympathizer.

Wait....

• Like 2
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

25 minutes ago, TRoyConcepts said:

This is the first time I've heard of Hull being a Nazi sympathizer? Not surprised considering how here in Winnipeg he's seen as some sort of god by being the best player to play here. I'd love to hear the story on it.

Bobby Hull to Moscow Paper: Hitler Had Some Good Ideas

1 minute ago, TRoyConcepts said:

I guess I had the wrong idea about "Nazi sympathizer". Just an old racist, I guess.

Well he was born in 1939. A bit too young to sympathize with the Axis during WWII.

7 hours ago, rams80 said:

It's not like one of the league's Conference championship trophies is named after a Nazi sympathizer.

Wait....

In fairness to the league, I doubt most people even pay attention to who the trophy was named after. I bet a significant portion of modern hockey fans don't know who Clarence Campbell is either.

At least it's not directly named after him so the league can weasel out of it by saying that nowadays the name is a tribute to the title, not one of its holders. Or at least that's what they'd probably do if someone besides us brought up the fact that the trophy is named after a Nazi sympathizer.

• Like 3

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On 1/17/2017 at 10:06 PM, Sodboy13 said:

Every story I've heard about Stan Mikita is a good story. Someone like him meeting a slow, withering end like this makes me sad.

Oh, look, here's a story on Stan Mikita's life with dementia, if you'd like to cry a bit.

His company makes the dipping sauce cups for Chicken McNuggets!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

On 1/19/2017 at 1:52 AM, CRichardson said:

In fairness to the league, I doubt most people even pay attention to who the trophy was named after. I bet a significant portion of modern hockey fans don't know who Clarence Campbell is either.

At least it's not directly named after him so the league can weasel out of it by saying that nowadays the name is a tribute to the title, not one of its holders. Or at least that's what they'd probably do if someone besides us brought up the fact that the trophy is named after a Nazi sympathizer.

A large percentage of fans probably wouldn't have a clue who the names are on the older trophies in any sports league

Ask anybody under 30, hell 40, who George Halas, Lamar Hunt, Or Larry O'Brien were ad you'd probably get plenty of blank faces.

I'd assume most fans know who Vince Lombardi was, but I'd also assume I'd be surprised how many don't.

• Like 2

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

What would happen if the NHL would select eight new teams and then the league would increase to 40, those potential teams would be:

Atlanta Thrashers (based in Atlanta, Georgia)

Baltimore Skipjacks (based in Baltimore, Maryland)

Capitanes de Puerto Rico (based in San Juan, Puerto Rico)

Cincinnati Stingers (based in Cincinnati, Ohio)

Guerreros de México (based in Mexico City, Mexico)

Hamilton Tigers (based in Hamilton, Ontario)

Houston Aeros (based in Houston, Texas)

Indianapolis Racers (based in Indianapolis, Indiana)

Kansas City Scouts (based in Kansas City, Missouri)

Oakland Seals (based in Oakland, California)

Portland Lumberjacks (based in Portland, Oregon)

Quebec Nordiques (based in Quebec City, Quebec)

Saskatoon Ice (based in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan)

Seattle Metropolitans (based in Seattle, Washington)

This is my point of view.

And also, I'm not doing concepts, but we're making discussions about this.

How your point of views about this.

There's no way the NHL expands to 40 teams anytime soon. That would be a bad business decision, even by their standards.

For starters, Atlanta's already been through two NHL teams and I doubt the league's in a hurry to return there. Puerto Rico and Mexico City are definitely not getting teams. Hamilton wants a team but they would be wedged in between the Leafs and Sabres and neither team will have that. Houston has an arena perfectly suitable for the NHL, but whether the market would support an NHL team is another matter, or whether the owner of the Houston Rockets is willing to share the building with a hockey team (he isn't, see the relocated Houston Aeros of the AHL, now known as the Iowa Wild).

Oakland - and by extension, the entire San Francisco Bay Area - already has a team in the San Jose Sharks. They're more or less seen as a spiritual successor of the Seals. The Sharks have fans in San Jose, San Francisco, and in Oakland. Why put another team there when the Sharks have already got that entire market behind them? Yeah, the Los Angeles metropolitan area has two teams, but it's also the second most populous area in the United States. The San Francisco area as a whole has about the third of the population of LA. And even LA is about 6 million short of New York, which is why New York can support three teams. And while the New Jersey Devils aren't technically in New York, they're within the vicinity of NYC. Or rather, they're practically next door.

The only cities on that list I could see getting teams are Seattle and Quebec. At the moment, if there is another team added to the league then only one of them is getting that expansion franchise.

• Like 3

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Let's see.

1. Puerto Rico's economy is in the toilet and has a crippling debt crisis plus a 11.5% sales tax with a declining population.

2.  Why try Atlanta... Again?

3. Oakland?  See San José.

4. Baltimore/Cincinnati: See DC and Columbus, respectively. Plus, neither possess adequate facilities now or in the future; same with Seattle.

5. Indianapolis/Houston/Portland: Not economically feasible unless NBA owner also owns the franchise as they control the master lease and premium seat revenues and advertising. Indy seating bowl is like the NYI is too.

Seattle and Quebec are really the only foreseeable options as I don't see the NHL or any league for that matter going past 32 teams.

Quebec has an NHL ready venue, and my gut says that at some point in the next 5 years that Carolina moves there.

Seattle will be the expansion team 32 if and when their arena gets footing.

6 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Let's see.

1. Puerto Rico's economy is in the toilet and has a crippling debt crisis plus a 11.5% sales tax with a declining population.

2.  Why try Atlanta... Again?

3. Oakland?  See San José.

4. Baltimore/Cincinnati: See DC and Columbus, respectively. Plus, neither possess adequate facilities now or in the future; same with Seattle.

5. Indianapolis/Houston/Portland: Not economically feasible unless NBA owner also owns the franchise as they control the master lease and premium seat revenues and advertising. Indy seating bowl is like the NYI is too.

then they need to show this again to people:

so long and thanks for all the fish.