NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Expansion beyond 32 is not likely to happen for at least 20 years, and will require the league to be more stable than it is, right now. We would need to see the NFL do it first. No league has any business expanding beyond what they show is viable.

If that point ever comes, though, 36 would be the likely number, with 6 divisions of 6 teams, each. 

Any in-depth conversation about team 33 and up should be in its own thread, not in this one.

Now, as for team 32, Seattle. Quebec will only be used to bail out a team that takes on too much water. If Seattle can't get it together and build an arena, who knows. The owners have proved that they'll give a franchise to any billionare with an arena and the cash, the League's best interests be damned.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

On 1/24/2017 at 10:14 PM, cmm said:

When I was a kid, I thought the Wales Conference was named after the Hartford Whalers. I wasn't very bright. (I'm still kinda dumb.)

When I was a kid, it bugged me that Seattle could play Washington for the title because i thought they should be friends before it was explained to me that Washington referred to D.C. and not the state I was in.

When I was a really little kid, I also thought Washington referred to the state and not the capital, because I had never seen it referred to without the DC suffix.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 1/27/2017 at 3:13 AM, wildwing64 said:

They're more or less seen as a spiritual successor of the Seals.

If you really want to get technical they're considered the same franchise seeing as how the Seals/Barons franchise was merged with the then North Stars and the Sharks were "unmerged" even to the extent of being able to take some Minnesota players with them.

• Like 1

VmWIn6B.png

I don't think Saskatoon could work either. I don't think it's big enough and the two professional teams already in the province get supported by the whole province.

Everybody in Canada knows about Rider Nation for the CFL's Roughriders and the two year old NLL Rush have become a smash hit, but both leagues play a weekly (football) schedule with the Roughriders playing nine home games a season out of Regina and the Rush playing their nine out of Saskatoon.

Both teams draw from out of their respective cities with season ticket holders across the province. Since the homes games are only once a week at most, people are willing to make the drive to "home" games.

I don't know if Saskatoon itself would be able to fill 41 home games a year, much less games played on different days of the week.

The current arena would also need renovations to make it up to NHL standards. Saskatoon has been approaching the idea of discussions on a new arena, but I don't know if NHL is on their minds.

IbjBaeE.png

Saskatoon is an odd duck: the arena and market size say AHL, but the location says stick to major-junior. It could be a good Jets affiliate if there weren't concerns about travel costs, but again, Winnipeg itself is hardly on a circuit. I'd stick with the Dub and focus on getting the Blades up to being a flagship franchise like the London Knights. 

I don't think the NHL can go any smaller than Quebec City or Hamilton, and even Hamilton's fine once you start lumping in Halton, Niagara, and K-W.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

Saskatoon is an odd duck: the arena and market size say AHL, but the location says stick to major-junior. It could be a good Jets affiliate if there weren't concerns about travel costs, but again, Winnipeg itself is hardly on a circuit. I'd stick with the Dub and focus on getting the Blades up to being a flagship franchise like the London Knights. 

I don't think the NHL can go any smaller than Quebec City or Hamilton, and even Hamilton's fine once you start lumping in Halton, Niagara, and K-W.

I completely agree. Aside from QC and Hamilton, there are no suitable alternate Canadian cities for the NHL. By the time pro sports leagues get to a point where they are willing to consider breaking the 32 barrier (probably about 2045, at the earliest), Saskatoon could be suitable, given their high growth rate, but that's a long way off.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

20 hours ago, LMU said:

If you really want to get technical they're considered the same franchise seeing as how the Seals/Barons franchise was merged with the then North Stars and the Sharks were "unmerged" even to the extent of being able to take some Minnesota players with them.

In business only, not in any sort of true legacy or history sense. The Sharks don't claim any of the Seals or Barons records (nor should they, really). The Barons are still officially considered a fold, and the Sharks an expansion. The Sharks did have the rights to revive the Barons as an AHL identity, and I suppoose the Seals, if they really wanted to, but that was because it's the same ownership, not the same franchise.

• Like 1

The Sharks should honor the Seals' records by holding "we let Montreal draft Guy Lafleur first overall" night. First 5,000 fans in the building get a free banana peel to slip on.

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

And yet, when I suggested that the Isles needed to be really worried, since Barclays would be crazy to hold onto such weak numbers on a deal that benefits the Isles so much, people on here acted like I was just beating a "go sunbelt, f*@& OTH" drum. I wasn't. I just minored in business.

Their TV deal is the only thing keeping them from feeling it, like the Coyotes, or Hurricanes. If they don't do something, the wheels are liable to fall off that, and the NHL might start seeing them as a lucrative route to a new metro market.

Who the hell's gonna build a new arena for the Islanders as a primary tenant? And they can't trudge back out to Uniondale, right? Maybe they can reach some sort of deal with the Devils that would be exactly what it sounds like from an Isles perspective. Otherwise, up to Le Colisee Nouveau they go.

As far as bad ideas go, at least this one didn't last very long.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Uhh, I think all of us figured out that Barclays wasn't going to work like two weeks in when people couldn't see the ice and the Nets' president said "nbd watch on your phones," or when the team never moved its offices/practice facility out of the suburbs and made everyone take trains to the games, or when ice-level seating was given to Honky the Car. The Islanders are going to play somewhere else in the area like we said they would and like the owners themselves more or less said they would.

EDIT: or when the ice melted because they cheaped out on the ice plant and used PVC piping

• Like 2