NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Is Hartford "in the area"?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

4 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Uhh, I think all of us figured out that Barclays wasn't going to work like two weeks in when people couldn't see the ice and the Nets' president said "nbd watch on your phones," or when the team never moved its offices/practice facility out of the suburbs and made everyone take trains to the games, or when ice-level seating was given to Honky the Car. The Islanders are going to play somewhere else in the area like we said they would and like the owners themselves more or less said they would.

EDIT: or when the ice melted because they cheaped out on the ice plant and used PVC piping

But who will take them, with their numbers? 

I'm not rooting against them, but this three Greater NYC teams train is bound to run out of gas, sooner or later. If it was such a great idea, then why is only the fourth most popular major league, in the US, doing it? This whole thing is NHL anti-thread fodder. Just because the Isles have legacy doesn't change the fact they were a niche market. Having moved out of that niche, they're floundering.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

6 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Is Hartford "in the area"?

Hartford doesn't have a suitable arena. If the XL's (14,750 seating and built in the early 70's) $250 million expansion and renovation plan goes through, it could be viable, though.

On a side note, though, their AHL attendance could be worrisome to a potential NHL tennant.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

I'm not worried that they'll leave the area just yet. Both Belmont and the Wilpons have reportedly been willing to work with the Isles, and they do have that big tv deal that they won't get elsewhere.

This would be a fun temporary fix!

Given MSG's track record, regarding rival hockey teams, I would be shocked if there was any credibility, to this.

He was just throwing that out there. But you do realize that the Islanders (and Devils) are on the MSG Networks, right? And that if either team leaves, either for another network or another city, it would be a serious blow to MSG? With just the Rangers, Knicks, and Devils, it would be a lot harder to price gouge consumers and other cable operators with two full-time channels. Look at how much they were willing to pay the Devils to keep them off SNY or YES when their rights were up ten years ago.

News breaking here in NY/NJ that the Islanders and Barclays' arrangement is gonna end up in a messy divorce.

It's either: 

Isles sever the pact after 17-18 

Or

Barclays severs the pact after 18-19.

Either way, this is it. You're essentially looking at the final two years of hockey in Brooklyn. Time to start drawing renderings of the KC Scouts or QC Nords? 

15 minutes ago, NYYNYR said:

News breaking here in NY/NJ that the Islanders and Barclays' arrangement is gonna end up in a messy divorce.

It's either: 

Isles sever the pact after 17-18 

Or

Barclays severs the pact after 18-19.

Either way, this is it. You're essentially looking at the final two years of hockey in Brooklyn. Time to start drawing renderings of the KC Scouts or QC Nords? 

There was talk a while back about the team possibly moving to a new building near Citi Field.  Anyone know if that is still a possibility?

"How cheaply can we build a 16,000-seat arena?" should be some interesting problem-solving, especially after Ratner broke the bank on Barclays only to build a hideous rusted spaceship that can't host more than one sport.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

:censored:, man. I hope the Isles stay in NY. I've loved this team since I was little, and have stuck with 'em through this last decade. I don't know what I'd do if they left the Island, or at least NY. Seeing them go to Hartford, Kansas City, Quebec, Seattle, or any other :censored: ty citywould be a huge blow to myself, my family, and the vast majority of Isles fans. If we didn't really love this team, if we didn't pay for tickets, if we didn't pay for merchandise, if we didn't pay to watch the games all the way from Colorado (Where my family and I are), they'd already be in one of those cities.

I don't think moving back into the Coliseum or into a new arena are bad ideas. A new arena would be great, and the Isles could potentially move the Sound Tigers with them. If they do it right, it could be like the Barclays Center and pull in concerts year round, too.

Moving back into the Coliseum (Or the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum Presented by New York Community Bank, as they call it now) wouldn't be awful, either. They just renovated it, and while it seats less than Barclays Center, it's a center of tradition, and is easier for people to get to.

I hope to God they find a way to stay in New York that doesn't involve MSG.

• Like 2

Granted you've got to take anything Mangano says with a grain of salt... as per Newsday Islanders discussed possible Coliseum return, Mangano says

But yeah, I'm not too too worried with the options on the table. Cuomo's been pushing to get that Belmont site built up as part of all his public works projects, Flushing might be an option on the table to try and keep that LI-outer borough bridge going, and I've always felt the Coliseum would still work out even with the smaller capacity (it is quite a bit smaller than MTS Centre's capacity, but I felt that Winnipeg's made the small arena approach work out nicely so they probably could do the same here)

• Like 1

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

I don't think we should act like this is being sprung on anyone. I remember Ledecky (or the other guy whose niece isn't an Olympic swimmer) being extremely non-committal when pressed on staying at Barclays. I'm pretty sure it was damn near Bettmanese in its saying something while professing not to have said anything like that.

Yep. There have been stories over the last year about the new owners considering Flushing and Belmont Park and keeping their options open. And we've known since almost day one that the Islanders and Barclays have had a strained relationship. Before they even moved, I heard that a team employee was told to plan for just three years in Brooklyn.

One more tweet from Staple:

As is the case for most things regarding the Islanders.

• Like 1

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

My guess is they go back to the Coliseum in Uniondale (lower capacity and all) until they get a new arena somewhere in Queens. They've been playing to crowds smaller than 13,000 in a 15k seat arena as is. I believe the Coliseum's new capacity is 13K.

edit for no reason: One thing that I like about Barclay's is whenever I see the SUV in the corner I like to pretend the vehicle is a huge Islanders fan and bought season tickets. Everytime a different car is parked there it means he gave them to a friend because SUV couldn't make it that night. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

Is the izod center in Jersey still functional?  Maybe a stopgap if a new arena needs to be built.

It is apparently "closed," and its remaining use is as a practice hall for bands performing at other large venues in the area. So I doubt you could make ice there.

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

My guess is they go back to the Coliseum in Uniondale (lower capacity and all) until they get a new arena somewhere in Queens. They've been playing to crowds smaller than 13,000 in a 15k seat arena as is. I believe the Coliseum's new capacity is 13K.

This sounds right to me. I think Belmont Park is the better bet in terms of playing where your fans are, but my guess is that with the price the new owners paid for the Islanders, they want to be within city limits, and Queens/Flushing/Willets/whatever is the best compromise between city and suburbs.

I think the new NVMC capacity is closer to 12,000 but with room for expansion, which would be funny given that all they did for years was expand seating, then finally scale it back down to around where it originally was, and now have to put more seats in again. I can see some seating expansion happening if it's going to be a long-term stay but my guess is the wheels have quietly been turning on a Queens arena for some time now.

I'm sure the goal of Islanders ownership is to build an arena in Queens, preferably at Flushing Meadows (or Willets Point). Barring that, they'd probably choose to build at Belmont Park rather than go back to Nassau Coliseum permanently.

Obviously Nassau Coliseum would serve as a temporary arena while the Isles are constructing something new, but I'm sure that a permanent stay at Nassau (with a long-term lease) is the absolute last resort for Isles ownership. They might sooner move out of the area altogether than play in a 12,000 seat arena in the middle of Hempstead. (Not that such an arrangement would bring in any less revenue than their current situation at Barclays.)