NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

How would you all put odds at the Islanders staying in New York vs moving to a new market?

I consider the Islanders to be a cornerstone NHL franchise and would hate to see them move, but am curious how long sentimentality will hold out for them if the market won't.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

19 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

How would you all put odds at the Islanders staying in New York vs moving to a new market?

I consider the Islanders to be a cornerstone NHL franchise and would hate to see them move, but am curious how long sentimentality will hold out for them if the market won't.

I'd still put the Islanders staying in New York at better than 50% odds. Maybe 60-65% chance of staying. The only relocation destinations I can see them entertaining are Seattle and Quebec City. Maybe Kansas City, though the NHL has never expressed much interest or confidence in that market's viability.

In an ideal world, from my perspective, they'd build in Willets Point (or in Flushing Meadows Park itself), and NYCFC would build an adjacent stadium. You'd have the Mets, the Isles, NYCFC, and the USTA all within one location, served by a single subway stop and LIRR station. But that's still a remote possibility, especially given that the City would be highly reluctant to pour public funds into a new stadium and new arena, less than a decade after subsidizing two ballparks and the Barclays Center. Maybe if Bloomberg or Giuliani were still mayor, but not under de Blasio (or any likely 2017 primary opponent of his). Any new construction will need to be primarily funded privately, which is (unfortunately) unlikely.

If the Hurricanes relocate to Quebec City in a foreseeable future, I think that there would be an anti-climax effect similar to the exit of the old Cleveland Browns to Baltimore where it became the Ravens, and then there would be former Canes players (i.e. Rod Brind'Amour) appealing to commissioner Bettman to the Canes becoming the NHL's 32nd team, but this time an expansion team.

Also, should they build a new arena, I don't think they would use the new Coliseum as a temporary home. It's operated by the Barclays folks. They most likely wouldn't be happy with the Isles for building a competing arena on the island. If they need a place to play while waiting for a Belmont Park or Mets adjacent arena, I'd guess that MSG (maybe with some games at Newark if the Garden is too busy) would be more likely.

23 minutes ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

If the Hurricanes relocate to Quebec City in a foreseeable future, I think that there would be an anti-climax effect similar to the exit of the old Cleveland Browns to Baltimore where it became the Ravens, and then there would be former Canes players (i.e. Rod Brind'Amour) appealing to commissioner Bettman to the Canes becoming the NHL's 32nd team, but this time an expansion team.

Its completely and utterly ludicrous to try and compare the Hurricanes to the original Browns.

The Hurricanes actually won something.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

2 hours ago, LMU said:

Knowing Bettman he'll gladly sacrifice the Islanders to French Canada in the name of protecting the still ongoing Raleigh experiment.

That was my thought as well. Considering the issues with putting them back at Nassau, the long road to a new arena which wouldn't be ready for 2018-19 anyway, I can see Bettman putting them in Quebec City.

3 hours ago, DG_Now said:

87.5% sure they stay. Ownership paid for a New York team, and even with the Las Vegas expansion fee inflation that's hard to recoup if you're made to sell out-of-market, and if you think walking out on Nassau County would be ~BAD OPTICS~ on Madison Avenue, try walking out on Brooklyn for the likes of Kansas City. I'm sure you can build an arena relatively affordably, even in New York, if you don't try to cross the Omni with the Millennium Park Bean and cater to people who need artisan apps.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

22 hours ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Granted you've got to take anything Mangano says with a grain of salt... as per Newsday Islanders discussed possible Coliseum return, Mangano says

Mangano needs to resign before he takes his "Club Fed" vacation like Jimmy Burke did.  Anything he says at this point is a non-factor.

7 hours ago, the admiral said:

This sounds right to me. I think Belmont Park is the better bet in terms of playing where your fans are, but my guess is that with the price the new owners paid for the Islanders, they want to be within city limits, and Queens/Flushing/Willets/whatever is the best compromise between city and suburbs.

If for no other reason Belmont is better because the land is state owned and not subject to having to deal with either Nassau County or the Town of Hempstead.  However, Queens would be better for both highway and public transit access but you have to deal with a potentially hostile NYC bureaucracy.  Kind of a catch 22.  I see what you're saying and I agree that the new owners want to be in the city.  All things being equal the Shea Stadium parking lot is where I'd build.  However because they're not and there might be a time crunch Belmont might be the path of least resistance and just across the Cross Island from the city proper. 

1 hour ago, cmm said:

Plus Gary Bettman is a Half Hollow Hills graduate. He will put up a bigger fight for his hometown team than he did for, say, Atlanta, if it comes down to that.

IIRC he was/is an Islander fan.  Whether that has any bearing on things who knows but I'd have to think with how he defended Phoenix/Glendale he'd do the same for the Isles.

Light another candle. Vinnie Viola just withdrew from his nomination to be Secretary of the Army.

DOUBLE BONUS: He withdrew "over financial issues in his vetting" ohhhhhhhh I am here for every moment of this

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/viola-withdraws-as-trumps-army-secretary-nominee-234641

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Je. Sus. Christ.

Coyotes to Tempe was going to be such a good idea too. Now what? They try partnering with the Suns again? They go back and plead for Glendale's forgiveness? This'll be rich.

• Like 2

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Ah, nothing like the ol' Friday Night Bad-News Dump.

Shaky situations in Raleigh, Long Island, and of course Phoenix. No better time to expand to Las Vegas, folks!

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Je. Sus. Christ.

Coyotes to Tempe was going to be such a good idea too. Now what? They try partnering with the Suns again? They go back and plead for Glendale's forgiveness? This'll be rich.

Just move them to Quebec City already. They have their stadium built and are just waiting for a team to cheer on for crying out loud.

• Like 3