NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

11 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Light another candle. Vinnie Viola just withdrew from his nomination to be Secretary of the Army.

DOUBLE BONUS: He withdrew "over financial issues in his vetting" ohhhhhhhh I am here for every moment of this.

Wow I cannot imagine how anyone in the loophole-f-cking industry that is high-frequency trading could ever have financial issues.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'll offer my two dull pennies. The Islanders will find a home close by as some of you have mentioned. Carolina will head up to French Canadian land despite Bettman pleading Karmanos to keep a team he can't afford. The Phoenix/Glendale/Arizona/Tempe Coyotes will move to Houston, where no one cares or to Seattle, where they will play in 150 year old Key Arena.

• Like 4

The Islanders will stay in the area. I could see Karmanos not selling to Quebecor out of spite. I read a while ago that he refused to sell the Plymouth Whalers to a group out of Chatham so that they could stay in Michigan. As major-junior observers know, the Flint Firebirds have been a top-notch operation and a great idea at a great time. I know he's always tried hard to have a lot of American or NCAA players on the Canes as well. He may not want to do business with Canada.

Houston is locked out of the NHL because the Rockets control the master lease and don't seem to like the profit margins on hockey. No big loss, if you ask me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

The '06 Stanley Cup against the Edmonton Oilers.

I have this odd sense of deja vu...

• Like 8

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

The guy here says that Arizona State pulled out of the deal because state legislators wised up to the fact that "funding the university" was a backdoor subsidy for the Coyotes. Yeah, great, but I'm just sitting here like GET TO THE PART ABOUT 'BABY IN PANTS'!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, cmm said:

Just for the record, the Isles organ guy played "Brass Bonanza" at the game tonight. Either because they were playing Carolina or because he has a great sense of humor.

61790976.jpg

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

On 2/4/2017 at 6:47 AM, jmac11281 said:

I'll offer my two dull pennies. The Islanders will find a home close by as some of you have mentioned. Carolina will head up to French Canadian land despite Bettman pleading Karmanos to keep a team he can't afford. The Phoenix/Glendale/Arizona/Tempe Coyotes will move to Houston, where no one cares or to Seattle, where they will play in 150 year old Key Arena.

I've always thought, how come a team can't play at Safeco Field, on a temporary basis? The Lightning played at the Trop for a couple years and made it work. Shouldn't be too hard to maintain an ice plant in a retractable dome.

The Lightning weren't there when the Devil Rays were. What happens if either team makes the playoffs and their seasons overlap? You'd have to boot the hockey team to KeyArena in October and April-beyond.

• Like 1

plus, doesn't Safeco remain open even when closed?  I thought it was more like a cover than an enclosed building.  Might be hard to make ice there.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, TheGrimReaper said:

I've always thought, how come a team can't play at Safeco Field, on a temporary basis? The Lightning played at the Trop for a couple years and made it work. Shouldn't be too hard to maintain an ice plant in a retractable dome.

A-Season overlap with the Mariners while the Lightning didn't have a roommate at the time (as Admiral said).

B-You really can't maintain an ice surface on top of natural grass for an extended period without there being issues.

C-What BBtV said.

• Like 1

VmWIn6B.png

6 hours ago, TheGrimReaper said:

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

plus, doesn't Safeco remain open even when closed?  I thought it was more like a cover than an enclosed building.  Might be hard to make ice there.

Yes. Safeco isn't a dome. It's a baseball stadium that has a retractable canopy. Even when the roof is closed it's still open air. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Which makes it awesome and exactly what I wish we had here. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."