the admiral

NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

Plus Gary Bettman is a Half Hollow Hills graduate. He will put up a bigger fight for his hometown team than he did for, say, Atlanta, if it comes down to that.

22 hours ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Granted you've got to take anything Mangano says with a grain of salt... as per Newsday Islanders discussed possible Coliseum return, Mangano says

Mangano needs to resign before he takes his "Club Fed" vacation like Jimmy Burke did.  Anything he says at this point is a non-factor.

7 hours ago, the admiral said:

This sounds right to me. I think Belmont Park is the better bet in terms of playing where your fans are, but my guess is that with the price the new owners paid for the Islanders, they want to be within city limits, and Queens/Flushing/Willets/whatever is the best compromise between city and suburbs.

If for no other reason Belmont is better because the land is state owned and not subject to having to deal with either Nassau County or the Town of Hempstead.  However, Queens would be better for both highway and public transit access but you have to deal with a potentially hostile NYC bureaucracy.  Kind of a catch 22.  I see what you're saying and I agree that the new owners want to be in the city.  All things being equal the Shea Stadium parking lot is where I'd build.  However because they're not and there might be a time crunch Belmont might be the path of least resistance and just across the Cross Island from the city proper. 

1 hour ago, cmm said:

Plus Gary Bettman is a Half Hollow Hills graduate. He will put up a bigger fight for his hometown team than he did for, say, Atlanta, if it comes down to that.

IIRC he was/is an Islander fan.  Whether that has any bearing on things who knows but I'd have to think with how he defended Phoenix/Glendale he'd do the same for the Isles.

Ignoring the obvious political PR about the Islanders and Hartford today, some new news about our favorites and

Also does this mean we'll get at least one more Glendale city council meeting?

HANUKKAH JUST CAME EARLY!

Light another candle. Vinnie Viola just withdrew from his nomination to be Secretary of the Army.

DOUBLE BONUS: He withdrew "over financial issues in his vetting" ohhhhhhhh I am here for every moment of this

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/viola-withdraws-as-trumps-army-secretary-nominee-234641

Je. Sus. Christ.

Coyotes to Tempe was going to be such a good idea too. Now what? They try partnering with the Suns again? They go back and plead for Glendale's forgiveness? This'll be rich.

Ah, nothing like the ol' Friday Night Bad-News Dump.

Shaky situations in Raleigh, Long Island, and of course Phoenix. No better time to expand to Las Vegas, folks!

3 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Je. Sus. Christ.

Coyotes to Tempe was going to be such a good idea too. Now what? They try partnering with the Suns again? They go back and plead for Glendale's forgiveness? This'll be rich.

Just move them to Quebec City already. They have their stadium built and are just waiting for a team to cheer on for crying out loud.

Has anybody checked on Gary Bettman this morning? Is he okay?

Reports are that he's wiggling his head around really fast and talking in circles. In other words, seems to be his usual self!

11 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Light another candle. Vinnie Viola just withdrew from his nomination to be Secretary of the Army.

DOUBLE BONUS: He withdrew "over financial issues in his vetting" ohhhhhhhh I am here for every moment of this.

Wow I cannot imagine how anyone in the loophole-f-cking industry that is high-frequency trading could ever have financial issues.

I'll offer my two dull pennies. The Islanders will find a home close by as some of you have mentioned. Carolina will head up to French Canadian land despite Bettman pleading Karmanos to keep a team he can't afford. The Phoenix/Glendale/Arizona/Tempe Coyotes will move to Houston, where no one cares or to Seattle, where they will play in 150 year old Key Arena.

The Islanders will stay in the area. I could see Karmanos not selling to Quebecor out of spite. I read a while ago that he refused to sell the Plymouth Whalers to a group out of Chatham so that they could stay in Michigan. As major-junior observers know, the Flint Firebirds have been a top-notch operation and a great idea at a great time. I know he's always tried hard to have a lot of American or NCAA players on the Canes as well. He may not want to do business with Canada.

Houston is locked out of the NHL because the Rockets control the master lease and don't seem to like the profit margins on hockey. No big loss, if you ask me.

On 31/01/2017 at 5:14 PM, waltere said:

Its completely and utterly ludicrous to try and compare the Hurricanes to the original Browns.

The Hurricanes actually won something.

The '06 Stanley Cup against the Edmonton Oilers.

1 hour ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

The '06 Stanley Cup against the Edmonton Oilers.

I have this odd sense of deja vu...

If the Isles had to move from Lawn Guy Land, I'd hope they would at least stay in the general area and become the Whalers 2.0.  Probably the only way Hartford would get a team back anyways.  Of course, NHL being the NHL this means we are probably gonna end up with the Albuquerque Islanders...

The guy here says that Arizona State pulled out of the deal because state legislators wised up to the fact that "funding the university" was a backdoor subsidy for the Coyotes. Yeah, great, but I'm just sitting here like GET TO THE PART ABOUT 'BABY IN PANTS'!

So the moral of the story then is that the Arizona Legislature is somewhat smarter than the Glendale City Council?

That's a low bar to clear, considering Glendale City Council once offered to buy something it already owned.