NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

1 hour ago, DustDevil61 said:

Coyotes: "We are committed to staying in Arizona."

Glendale Star: "Then why were you looking at arenas in Seattle and Portland?"

Knew it was only a matter of time after the Tempe arena started to derail. It was only the hope of something in the east valley that was keeping the Coyotes in town. Because presumably the Suns aren't too keen for them to be involved downtown.

I've seen this episode before.

Had the Coyotes moved back in 2012, Seattle would likely have an arena by now. We're still not very close...

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

12 hours ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

The St. Louis Blues needs a new AHL affiliate because the Chicago Wolves will become affiliated with the Golden Knights. I think the most probable content would be Hamilton.

Hahahahahahahahaha...

...no.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

13 hours ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

The St. Louis Blues needs a new AHL affiliate because the Chicago Wolves will become affiliated with the Golden Knights. I think the most probable content would be Hamilton.

The Blues are not renewing their affiliation with the Wolves because they are putting a new AHL team in Kansas City. Nothing regarding the Wolves and Vegas has been announced, but it is expected that's where the Knights will go.

I'm not even excited about the latest chapter of "Here We Go Again." I've been teased too many times. This is just an attempt to extort money from Glendale again now that the team's other options have fallen apart.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Apparently Kansas City might not be happening now, though.  The Blues owner must have demanded a bigger cash infusion from the Hunts that was thought.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Oh, whoopsies! Guess there's always playing at Scottrade with the upper deck and sides of the lower bowl blocked off. I hear the AHL has grown fond of that setup.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

26 minutes ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

I don't understand why the Fort Wayne Komets (ECHL) is not affiliated with an NHL team. The Komets would be affiliated with the St. Louis Blues.

The Komets operate as an independent franchise and the Blues are already affiliated with the Missouri Mavericks.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

1 hour ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

It would be a good or a bad idea the Fort Wayne Komets getting affiliated with the Vegas Golden Knights Hockey Club?.

Depends on who you're asking about.  The Komets are a Wolves situation, with some additional anti-players union sentiments mixed in.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

21 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Depends on who you're asking about.  The Komets are a Wolves situation, with some additional anti-players union sentiments mixed in.

Theorically the Komets would be an affiliate of the Blues and the Wolves, but there is some major problems going on though. Because there's a portion of the roster who wants the team independently, without NHL/AHL affiliation, but there's also someother players in the team who has contracts with the Wolves and defends an affiliation with the Blues. The anti-players union sentiments may be bigger than we think for the people of Fort Wayne, we don't know what's going to happen up next for the Komets. The Golden Knights hasn't so far an AHL/ECHL affiliate. The AHL affiliate, in my humble opinion, would be Reno, because it would be closer from Vegas. And we don't know which city will become a home for a Golden Knights' ECHL affiliate, probably also we don't know that it would be in the West or in the East.

The Fort Wayne Komets have no interest in having their roster largely dictated by an NHL club. They once created their own league, funding several of the other teams in it, to avoid paying into the Professional Hockey Players Association, which is the minor league hockey union. Unless the family suddenly decides to sell the team to somebody else, Fort Wayne will not be an AHL city.

I've heard Reno before as a possible Vegas affiliate, but I can't remember if they have a suitable arena. It's likely Vegas will start with a short-term affiliation wherever they can get one before making arrangements for their own AHL franchise in the west.

3 hours ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

Theorically the Komets would be an affiliate of the Blues and the Wolves, but there is some major problems going on though. Because there's a portion of the roster who wants the team independently, without NHL/AHL affiliation, but there's also someother players in the team who has contracts with the Wolves and defends an affiliation with the Blues. The anti-players union sentiments may be bigger than we think for the people of Fort Wayne, we don't know what's going to happen up next for the Komets. The Golden Knights hasn't so far an AHL/ECHL affiliate. The AHL affiliate, in my humble opinion, would be Reno, because it would be closer from Vegas. And we don't know which city will become a home for a Golden Knights' ECHL affiliate, probably also we don't know that it would be in the West or in the East.

MOD EDIT

That said, the Blues want out of Chicago because the Wolves historically murder an NHL team's player development efforts by focusing on winning with their own players rather than giving the parent team's players playing time.  Las Vegas is probably going to end up with the Wolves because 1) They don't really have a fully stocked farm roster because DUH.  2) they are the lowest, lowest man on the totem pole.

The Blues are going to push for some sort of local option (Illinois or Missouri area), with the caveat that the Blues ownership group probably doesn't have a lot of money lying around, which is why they dumped the Peoria AHL franchise off to Vancouver (to be moved  to West Coast location TBA/Utica as a halfway house) and then affiliated with the independently owned and operated Wolves despite the known damage it will do to player development because a few bread crumbs are better than nothing.

With regards to the Komets, you got confused.  The owners are anti-union (something about owing a couple years' worth of back dues to the Professional Hockey Players Association), so they jumped from league to league until the last remaining non-union league began to burn down around them, leaving them no choice but to move to the ECHL.  Historically the Komets have pursued a me-first policy, and to be honest its less of a problem at the ECHL because most NHL teams don't have that deep of a farm system.  The ECHL aspires to be like the  AHL from a player-development perspective but its not quite there yet.  The Blues,  probably due to the aforementioned financial problems and hollowing out of their farm system, don't even have an ECHL affiliate right now and haven't given any real signs of wanting to address that.

• Like 1
Today, we are all otaku.

No, there was talk of the Blues setting up their AHL shop in KC after pulling out of Rosemont. @rams80 says that may not happen now, because Tom Stillman is still meeting payroll for the Blues every week with aluminum cans and trips to the Coinstar at Schnuck's.