the admiral

NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

7,050 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bucfan56 said:

😑

It's "Lets put a second team in Phoenix!" level bad.

Whoah, now...let's not be hasty.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Bucfan56 said:

😑

It's "Lets put a second team in Phoenix!" level bad.

dont give them any ideas.    

"Look, if they put a new rink in downtown Phoenix, there's still gonna be a perfectly good one in Glendale, right?"

2 people like this

7 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I never heard of any great animus toward the Blazers either. The biggest Seattle/Portland rivalries seem to be soccer and NCAAF.

Maybe it's a function of the basketball teams not being good at the same time (unless I'm completely whiffing on fierce Seattle/Portland playoff battles).

Come to think of it, is there a geographic NBA rivalry that's really nasty? Do the Nets and Knicks, Lakers and Clippers get up for the city championship? Do the Magic and Heat, Texas teams fans get at each other for "best in the state"? That stuff seems way more important in other sports. Like Ducks fans and Kings fans really hate each other, but I don't get the same feeling from the lakers and clippers fanbases.

Maybe I'm just not plugged in, but seems to me any rivalry in the NBA is relatively short lived and comes from playoffs and finals matchups. The best one right now is Cavs-Warriors, but there's Lakers-Celtics of course and in the 90's there was heat-knicks and Bulls-Pistons and Knicks-Pacers, but then players move on and they die down.

The Knicks-Knicks rivalry has been brutal and unrelenting for nearly two decades.

10 people like this

Let's put a team in 7000' thin, smog filled air in a place that doesn't even know what an ice rink is for the most part.

WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

In this new world that we live in, there could eventually be complications with a Mexican team (and its fans) coming into the states to play (or attend) games.

Also, the players would be paid in USD while the Peso declines.  That wouldn't work.

A more sensible solution would be to put the team in Lima Peru.  Call them the Alpacas:

Image may contain: meme and text

1 person likes this

As a long time Blazers fan I disliked the Sonics but hated the Lakers. 

There USED TO be a heated rivalry between the Sixers and Celtics. It mainly was in the 80s and it didn't continue because there has basically been 25 years of bad Sixers basketball.

10 hours ago, Wings said:

As a long time Blazers fan I disliked the Sonics but hated the Lakers. 

Everybody on the west coast hated the Lakers. When I was a Kings fan they were seen as the biggest rival due to the playoff series the better part of two decades ago. The Warriors saw them as a huge rival, back before the Cavs became enemy No. 1. The Clippers have always hated their roommates.

Why NHL players quietly cheer on the Maple Leafs (and others)

They won’t say it out loud, of course, but NHL players do secretly cheer for the Toronto Maple Leafs, as well as the Montreal Canadiens, the Vancouver Canucks, New York Rangers, Chicago Blackhawks, Detroit Red Wings, Philadelphia Flyers and Boston Bruins.

Why?

Because when the biggest money-making teams are good, it makes a difference to every paycheque in the NHL.

“I’ve heard guys talk before that you want the big markets in (the playoffs),” said Maple Leafs centre Tyler Bozak. “If you’re not in, you want the big markets to go as far as possible.

“It’s kind of funny how it works.”

Scumbag Canadians want high-revenue Canadian teams to succeed so that their clawbacks go down, but don't want to play for the high-revenue Canadian teams because beat writers will ask them questions and fans will recognize their wives.

“Escrow? Don’t get me started,” says Chicago Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews. “I don’t know if I want to open up a whole can of worms, but ... when it comes down to escrow, you sign a contract as a player that you worked hard for, that you earned.

“You expect to be paid and to be looked after the way it is written in that contract. It’s pretty simple.”

My man makes $10.5 million against the cap but has fewer points this year than J.T. Miller, Radim Vrbata, and Patrick Eaves; he should be reimbursing other union members out of his own pocket.

2 people like this

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

Why NHL players quietly cheer on the Maple Leafs (and others)

Scumbag Canadians want high-revenue Canadian teams to succeed so that their clawbacks go down, but don't want to play for the high-revenue Canadian teams because beat writers will ask them questions and fans will recognize their wives.

My man makes $10.5 million against the cap but has fewer points this year than J.T. Miller, Radim Vrbata, and Patrick Eaves; he should be reimbursing other union members out of his own pocket.

Hey now, you're talking about one of the 100 greatest players in the history of the NHL there! :rolleyes:

He captained a team that won three championships in six years, so he might still be. He just sucks now, you know, like Mike Richards.

Hey, did you like how the bye week made you forget about the NHL for five or six days only to be reminded of it by your team getting pasted? Well, next year, you'll get to do it twice!

I think each team will still have one bye week. But they won't be spread out like they were this season. So half of the teams will all be taking their byes on, say, February 1-5 and the other half will have theirs from February 11-15.

Getting this arena is probably for the best, but we seem to be getting back to Norris House League levels of incestuous ownership: MSG will own the Islanders' arena, AEG owns the Knights' arena, Bell owns half the Leafs and an eighth of the Habs, and Delaware North runs a ton of teams' concessions. Then again, Molson used to handle teams' TV deals while owning the Habs, so maybe it never stopped being this bad in the first place.

I don't think Belmont Park provides the same accessibility by both car and rail as Flushing would, but if it's what works, it's what works. They have to get out of the rusted spaceship as soon as they can, even if that means playing in the downsized NVMC for a year or two.

Elliotte Friedman is reporting five Vancouver Canucks are out with the mumps. They were in Pittsburgh on the 14th and St. Louis on the 16th, by the way.

The Islanders' news is covered, which means while one arena deal looks to be heading in the right direction...

.....HERE COME THE COYOTES

“I’m not a hockey fan but I’m a business guy and I want to save any business of this magnitude from leaving and impacting thousands of jobs,” Worsley said earlier this month

Sir, I have no doubt you aren't a hockey fan, but I question your "business guy" bonafides if you still think the Coyotes would impact thousands of jobs.

2 people like this