NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

I agree with all that, but if the Wilpons themselves are involved in getting an arena built at Belmont (in a town which, confusingly, is called Elmont), you have to suspect Flushing won't be an option.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 2/24/2017 at 3:56 PM, Sodboy13 said:

Sir, I have no doubt you aren't a hockey fan, but I question your "business guy" bonafides if you still think the Coyotes would impact thousands of jobs.

On 2/24/2017 at 6:05 PM, HedleyLamarr said:

Yeah, don't think there's 2000+ employees involved, but between the full-time and seasonal employees, that figure is possibly north of 1000.  The number of employees we had with the Thrashers was over 1200.

I think it's safe to assume he's not only referring to employees. My girlfriend and I travel up for occasional Coyotes games, from the Tucson area. We usually grab a bite to eat somewhere close, often at Westgate. After the game, we go see a movie at the AMC, right there, about half the time. This is extra revenue that would be "impacted" if the team left, since hockey is the only reason we ever go to Glendale.

That's just the Phoenix area. All the Roadrunners' impact could be part of his statement as well. 

I'm not saying that the Phoenix area, and Arizona, as a whole are better off, fiscally, because of the Coyotes, but Worsley's statement holds up. Thousands of jobs (as in, at least 2,000) would be affected, to some degree, if the team leaves Arizona.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

The Ducks tweeting that one-punch on Jeff Carter like “haha this was so cool” is a pretty good illustration of which fighting in hockey and is anyone who likes it are so stupid.

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Ducks tweeting that one-punch on Jeff Carter like “haha this was so cool” is a pretty good illustration of which fighting in hockey and is anyone who likes it are so stupid.

I mean, it was pretty cool. Who doesn't like (love) a good punch to Jeff Carter's face?

Kesler Punch.gif

And I know when you're posting these things I can just assume it was a Ryan Lambert post, but it'd also be nice if we cited our sources so we don't have to look them up or ask. ;) 

• Like 1

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I don't like fighting, for fighting's sake, and the league needs to minimize it. 

However, when one of my team's tough guys goes after a player who pulled a really dirty stunt the refs missed...something primal awakens in me, and I'm cheering with the rest.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

35 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

And I know when you're posting these things I can just assume it was a Ryan Lambert post, but it'd also be nice if we cited our sources so we don't have to look them up or ask. ;) 

I was going to make it a link and then I forgot. I'll try to do better next time. And maybe he can proofread next time he ties himself in knots trying to say too much at one time and ends up writing gibberish.

6 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I don't like fighting, for fighting's sake, and the league needs to minimize it. 

Ryan Kesler one-punching Jeff Carter... I like.

Jared Boll doing whatever it is he does... I don't. He didn't even fight in that fight-filled Ducks/Kings game. And if Jared Boll doesn't get in a fight in a game, I don't know what his purpose in the Ducks' or any line-up is. Even when he does fight, I don't know why he's in the Ducks line-up.

• Like 1

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

8 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Jared Boll doing whatever it is he does... I don't. He didn't even fight in that fight-filled Ducks/Kings game. And if Jared Boll doesn't get in a fight in a game, I don't know what his purpose in the Ducks' or any line-up is. Even when he does fight, I don't know why he's in the Ducks line-up.

I'm glad true enforcers are going the way of the buffalo. I prefer guys like Chara or Burns. On the rare occasion they do drop gloves, it's usually pretty justifiable. 

The thing with fighting is that it's cultural. I remember my friends all getting excited when we got old enough to be allowed to check, because it was just assumed that if we could check we could fight. 

For all the crap I give Hockey Canada about the way they've managed youth hockey, I do have to give them credit. Last I saw? There was a real effort to stamp out the desire to hit for the sake of hitting at the younger levels of organised hockey. 

And that's how you do it. The NHL shouldn't try to force the issue by making fighting an automatic game misconduct or suspension. That's absurd, and it's going to backfire. Instead just let nature take its course. The kids these days fight less then even my generation did when we were that age. 

Soon, not right away but soon enough, fighting will die a natural death without the NHL needing to change a single rule regarding it. 

3 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

He has 9 shots in 41 games. I hate when people say this, but I think I could do better than that.

I was amazed another team took him on after the Blue Jackets bought him out. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

16 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

For all the crap I give Hockey Canada about the way they've managed youth hockey, I do have to give them credit. Last I saw? There was a real effort to stamp out the desire to hit for the sake of hitting at the younger levels of organised hockey. 

Is there an age restriction on hitting in youth hockey in Canada? Here in the States, it's bantam level, which is usually age 14/15. I always felt that if hitting is instilled at a young age (and its true meaning emphasized), then players are more apt to do it correctly when they reach their teenage years. I could be wrong though.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

24 minutes ago, Brass said:

Is there an age restriction on hitting in youth hockey in Canada? Here in the States, it's bantam level, which is usually age 14/15. I always felt that if hitting is instilled at a young age (and its true meaning emphasized), then players are more apt to do it correctly when they reach their teenage years. I could be wrong though.

You'd think, but it was peewee for forever and then USA Hockey changed hitting age to Bantam. I have to assume they did studies and determined that was better. 

I remember peewees being a hitting free-for-all at a time when a lot of kids were still learning the game. My skill set definitely wasn't ready for that part of the sport and I got rocked a few times because of it. Shifting hitting age to 13 instead of 11 (or whatever it is) allow more time for the youths to develop skills first then they can avoid hits or learn how to stay out of vulnerable situations before they're asked to play the body rather than the other way around. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

7 hours ago, McCarthy said:

You'd think, but it was peewee for forever and then USA Hockey changed hitting age to Bantam. I have to assume they did studies and determined that was better. 

I remember peewees being a hitting free-for-all at a time when a lot of kids were still learning the game. My skill set definitely wasn't ready for that part of the sport and I got rocked a few times because of it. Shifting hitting age to 13 instead of 11 (or whatever it is) allow more time for the youths to develop skills first then they can avoid hits or learn how to stay out of vulnerable situations before they're asked to play the body rather than the other way around. 

I remember penalties going wayyyyy up in Pee-Wees due to hitting. I just thought it was awful coaching, because most of the coaches in our area were worse skaters than their 11 year players. I think a huge thing that decides how and why someones hits is coaching. I was lucky enough to have coaches who played the game and were interested in the development of players, instead of coaches who were there to make sure their kid got on a specific team. Those coaches told us why we hit and that it's not to stand over a player and look macho. We were taught how to hit and how to protect ourselves if we were hit. I don't know (and it could be rather arrogant of me to assume so) that these qualities are being taught.

I went to a local high school game recently and their hitting form was atrocious. Two kids got hurt delivering hits. Speaking of high school, it just seems to dumb to delay it to bantams because most bantams are high school freshmen. They're expected to step into the high school speed/physicality with only one year of hitting experience under the belts? Jeez. And I thought the roller hockey kids trying their hand at ice was a recipe for disaster...

But hey, the numbers/statistics/whatever USA Hockey is looking at aren't in my favor, so there's a grand chance I'm wrong.

• Like 1
On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

15 hours ago, the admiral said:

If you seriously object to Josh Ho-Sang wearing #66, go jump into an empty swimming pool.

I agree. A number is a number. That's like people getting mad at Anthony Morrow wearing #1 for the Bulls (He swapped to 11, but originally chose 1). 

• Like 1

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

Here We Officially Go Again:

http://www.12news.com/mb/sports/nhl/coyotes/nhl-commissioner-coyotes-cant-and-wont-play-in-glendale/420599553

Unfortunately for our dear Gary, some isolated pods of elected officials are getting wise to the pro sports stadium shakedown, and one such group appears to be everywhere in Arizona but Glendale.

• Like 3
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

2 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Here We Officially Go Again:

http://www.12news.com/mb/sports/nhl/coyotes/nhl-commissioner-coyotes-cant-and-wont-play-in-glendale/420599553

Unfortunately for our dear Gary, some isolated pods of elected officials are getting wise to the pro sports stadium shakedown, and one such group appears to be everywhere in Arizona but Glendale.

So "we cannot and will not play there" but... they're going to play there until they find a new place.

And, if I'm reading that correctly (I don't know east vs west valley) they've said that Glendale is OUT and they need to move no matter what, even if it's to another location in the greater Phoenix area.  Right?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Glendale are the rubiest bunch of rubes that ever rubed. And I'm doubly pissed because if that firefighter councilman didn't sell out his entire profession, the Coyotes would be in year three in Seattle and we'd probably have an NBA arena under construction by now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags