the admiral

NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

7,108 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, the admiral said:

Well, that you haven't heard from them probably speaks to the rhetorical bankruptcy of "save the Coyotes to see your team from back home." You're talking about one appearance a year from those teams, two from Chicago every other year, and two or three from Western Canada. Maybe those folks like having those games, but not enough to support the corporate welfare the Coyotes obviously need to survive. I mean, people don't move to Arizona to ambitiously fund the greater good; why would they care about some stupid sports team needing a new place to play?

Great points. By no means did I ever expect the collective fandom of NHL fans (of other teams) living in metro PHX to play a significant factor (monetary or vocal) in keeping the team here and/or a new arena (outside of purchasing tickets)...looking back maybe "support" was too strong of a word. For the most part it is just an interesting and odd dynamic to see/hear opposing fans say the Yotes should leave (and I get it to a degree), but by default you are calling for a team to leave and thus end your ability to see your team once/twice a year and/or NHL hockey.

The real bummer in all of this is that it does appear to be a very, very nice arena.

For reference, they're tarping off the four upper level corner sections 205, 211, 220, 226. And for an arena that really has no bad viewing seat, those would be my choice for worst aesthetically. You're right up against a wall (they have these suite "towers" in the four corners). You feel slightly less connected with the rest of the arena. Of course any pro team tarping off seats sounds bad and it'll probably look bad, but idk if this will affect anything really when it comes to the game watching experience there.

IMG_4041.JPGIMG_4043.JPGIMG_4042.JPG

I hate hearing seats referred to as "inventory".

The arena doesn't appear to have retractable seating down in front like most arenas do. That's interesting because most arenas have a floor much wider than 85 feet.

The lower portions of sections 104 - 108 are retractable to allow for staging...not a whole lot of retractable, but some.

342567ad03b2829eff92ca596f44f466.500.jpg4adf17fb75845727f93003ea04eb9e68.500.jpg

Interesting. That's a lot less retractable seating than I'm used to seeing in the more multi-use arenas. Look at how big the Bradley Center floor is:

Event_Arean-Bowl-Empty_1.jpg

WE WON'T THREATEN TO MOVE AS A TACTIC. I'M JUST SAYING THAT WE WILL MOVE IF WE DON'T HAVE A COOL, NEW PLACE TO PLAY.

1 person likes this

I hear Atlanta has an opening, should the Flames be looking for a new home. (poor joke, I know)

Bettman was in Calgary about two weeks ago to pull his "nice team you got here, shame if something happened to it" routine. The mayor has been pretty solid so far in telling the Flames and Stamps to go screw and build something with their own money. I say pack a bag for Ken and give him a Google Maps printout with directions to Atlanta.

Has there been a point in semi-recent history where the NHL operated as a professional, not-embarrassing sport league?

I remember the 90s, with NHL 94 on Sega and the Rangers-through-1998-Olympics run being good. The 2005 lockout was dumb, but the Sabres being great immediately after (or was it before?) was charming.

The sport lost me for good with the division and wild card changes because there's a certain point when I don't want to do so much work to follow a sport I'm not that interested in anymore.

But beyond that, every time I read anything about the NHL it's about some other new and exciting screw up. Some of that is confirmation bias, but is there much positivity with the sport anymore?

Well, the league won't shut down for three weeks next year so that guys born in Minnesota and Michigan can eke out a 1-0 win over Latvia at 3 in the morning. That's their first good business decision in years. But other than that, no, it's always been half a step above carnies.

2 people like this

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

Well, the league won't shut down for three weeks next year so that guys born in Minnesota and Michigan can eke out a 1-0 win over Latvia at 3 in the morning. That's their first good business decision in years. But other than that, no, it's always been half a step above carnies.

I want to thank you for posting this, because I see no reason the NHL should go to the Olympics, especially these next two, and I found myself alone in that sentiment and completely unswayed by anyone's argument in favor. I was concerned I had fallen into some personal alternative fact-o-sphere.

Yeah, everyone is acting like this is some dark day for hockey from which the sport will never recover. The league survived not sending players before and has survived much dumber decisions than this one. Like most "time-honored" hockey traditions, it doesn't even go that far back, really, just 1998. And no one much remembers Nagano or Turin, just Salt Lake City and Vancouver because they came down to the United States against Canada and Canada won. The most memorable Olympic hockey was when the Russians sent professionals and the Americans sent amateurs, so hey.

The whole deal has started to feel like nothing but a big exercise in validation for Canada, really. Ad agencies and television channels have done a great job pumping up Canada's relationship with hockey as something even beyond America and baseball, as if it's the one single thing they have that can't arguably belong just as much to the Americans or the British or the French. So they send the best players in the world out under the best coach under rules that all but flatline risk: Canada strikes first and that's game because everything gets pinned to the neutral-zone boards for 45 minutes or whatever. It's dull. Let's just be honest here: Canada could field two whole teams and they'd probably play each other for the gold. I mean, they half-did that for the Bettman Cup and it nearly happened. No one's getting anything out of a tournament like this one because no Mythical Casual Fan in the U.S. is going to be made a fan by these trapapalooza games (and not just Babs, consider all the lower nations that drag the game into the muck), South Korea doesn't exactly have a budding hockey program, and players are probably gonna get hurt in this and screw over their main gig. It's a colossal waste of time. If Canadians want to play for their country, the Maple Leafs are hiring.

2 people like this

I am in agreement with @Sodboy13 and @the admiral. The NHL and IOS will survive without each other and I personally enjoy international amateur tournaments like the World Juniors. This is far from a dark day in hockey.