NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

why, exactly

Was that meant for me?

If so, it's because I love that the Mayor, and city, for that matter, aren't taking this lying down. Team owners have been getting away with holding teams hostage, to get free stadiums and arenas for far too long. I'd prefer owners to finance their own damn venues, but I can stomach mutually beneficial arrangements. When an ownership group storms away from negotiations, like a petulant child, it's nice to see them called out, for it.

• Like 2

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

It''s not labeled "cannot be shared" because it's proprietary information, it's labeled "cannot be shared" because it's Ken King flipping people off with one hand and grabbing his balls with the other.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I want to learn how to pay 33% but get 100% control of something.

And one of the benefits for the taxpayers is that some guys can own a business. Who started this crap?

The chart reminds me of the infamous Washington Nationals meeting where the district proposed a two-thirds/one-third split in funding for the new park, and Jerry Reinsdorf replied "we were thinking more along the lines of three thirds, no thirds."

14 hours ago, monkeypower said:

This is/was Calgary's proposal to the Flames.

city-of-calgary-arena-proposal.png

This is still a pretty sweet deal, for the Flames. They pay 1/3 of the arena costs, and that's it. Sure, they get to deal with complaints when they add the ticket charges for the "user" 33%, but that's only fair (no way they pull it out of their profit margin, on ticket costs). Especially since, once that $185 million has been met, they'll almost certainly keep costs the same, increasing their future profit margin.

The city is getting stuck with all of the infrastructure costs, which will likely come out to between $250-300 million, once it's all said and done. That's on top of their third of the arena.

Seriously, it isn't like the Flames are an organization that struggles, financially. CSEC is acting like greedy, spoiled children. :censored: them.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

On 9/21/2017 at 12:20 AM, the admiral said:

I've said it before, but the NHL will do everything they can to keep that media market. The loss of the fanbase would be no big deal, but losing the 12th largest metro area, to move them out to Quebec, isn't something they will stomach. It actually doesn't matter that more people in Quebec would likely watch games, they get to sell the whole market, as potential.

Phoenix MSA also has double digit growth percentage 3, over the last decade. There are only two markets the NHL would be willing to move the Coyotes to, as I see it: Houston or Seattle.

I'm not defending it, just explaining, for the home audience. 

If Quebec wants to get a team, relocating the Hurricanes is the only viable option I see. The NHL has made it clear it only sees Canadian growth as a bailout option.

From what I've been seeing and reading, all the Flames are doing is standard protocol when it comes to wanting public funds to get a new arena. The Flames are not going anywhere. The other thing is is that the Flames are losing the public opinion on this issue. Calgary's mayor is one of the most popular and he's going to stick to his guns and he is projected to win the mayoral race there by a landslide. Bottom line is that the Flames will complain all they want but in the end this is just a ploy and from what the recent article said from The Hockey News, they will get their arena in the end. Dn't be surprised if the owners start scouting possible locations to relocate to as another ploy. Worked for the Oilers.

-Calgary stays 

-Seattle expansion

-Arizona to Houston

-Carolina to Quebec City

Flip flop Quebec & Columbus with Florida & Tampa Bay. Houston goes to the Central while Seattle fits right in the Pacific. Rename the Metropolitan the Atlantic and we go back to having a Northeast division. Seed the playoffs 1 through 8 in each conference by record. None of this divisional, top 3, wildcard nonsense. 

• Like 1

The Blackhawks are opening a new practice facility next door:

Hawks Chairman Rocky Wirtz footed the bill for the arena and had a two-fold plan: Give Hawks players and coaches everything they could possibly want — and more — from a practice rink and also allow the youth of Chicago — many of whom are without access to ice — to experience the sport and come to embrace it.

“It’s really a community ice rink that the Hawks are going to happen to practice in, instead of the other way around,” Wirtz said as he toured the facility Wednesday morning.

Wirtz opted to go big, eschewing the idea of a practice facility adjacent to the United Center that would have one sheet of ice just for his hockey team to one that has two full sheets of ice, 22 locker rooms, training, educational and medical facilities along with a restaurant, juice and coffee bars, spectator viewing areas that will seat 277 at each sheet, among other amenities.

“If you have unconditional commitment to winning on the ice you have to have unconditional commitment to winning off the ice and this is what came of that,” Wirtz said.

No expense has been spared as the arena will also have features ranging from a heated room to dry equipment, natural lighting, two electric Zambonis, public fitness space, media workroom with laptop stations, rooftop deck, rubber flooring (for walking with skates on) and a room that will allow Hawks players — and visiting youth and adult teams — to work on their shooting and stick-handling. It is so high-tech that the private entrance for Hawks players and personnel will have a thumb scanner to allow access. Open skates will be held on the weekends.

Perhaps most important is the Hawks’ commitment to growing the game and to that end they are partnering with Chicago Public Schools to provide 16-week programs for up to 120 kids three days per week. The Hawks will provide transportation and equipment for the children — at no cost to the schools.

Well, couple things here:

1) If you're going to promise the community they can use the rink, don't pull a Jeremy Jacobs on this 

2) Nowhere in this glorified press release does it mention that the land for the facility opened up because the city demolished a community college and sold the land to the Hawks for a song. I guess it's particularly annoying to me because the city just got finished building a brand-new arena for a private college basketball program that has all but announced it has no intention to field competitive teams, and the arena isn't even on the same L line as the campus. It's getting to be a little too much sports while the rest of the city rots from the inside out. But I guess the Hawks couldn't have paid market price for the real estate because, as we all know, the Chicago Blackhawks lose money.

• Like 1

Original estimates for the Malcolm X land sale were $14-16 million. The Hawks bought it for $11.7 million, by which I mean $8.7 million, because $3 million of the purchase price was in promised future ice time for area youth programs. The sale was predicated on the city clearing the land. It cost them $8 million to tear down the old college. Rockwell gets several acres for $700,000 in a city where that gets you a two-bedroom condo and mayyyyyybe a parking space.

Also, somehow we missed the Coyotes canceling a preseason game due to crap ice. We're slipping.

https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/news/coyotes-issue-statement-regarding-ice-at-gila-river-arena/c-291241898

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

16 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

The Hawks bought it for $11.7 million, by which I mean $8.7 million, because $3 million of the purchase price was in promised future ice time for area youth programs.

I know ice time gets pricey but that sounds like a loooooooot of ice time. Oh well, good thing fuzzy math could never possibly fail the city of Chicago.

Happy 10th anniversary to Bill Wirtz drunkenly stumbling off this mortal coil so that the Chicago Blackhawks could put their home games on TV and win three championships. Make no mistake, his son is a ruthless greedy billionaire in his own right, but only in the ways we've more or less come to expect in Hellworld, nothing like trying to make it against the law to buy liquor from people not named Bill Wirtz, or his incessant kneecapping of his own business asset because he thought his dad's ghost would crack an empty gin bottle over his head. And the Stanley Cup wins were fun.

• Like 2

I never knew about the Wirtz Law! God, :censored: that guy.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

On 9/7/2017 at 12:08 PM, mcj882000 said:

Y'know, reading your comment got me thinking... if the Hurricanes did move to Houston, would anyone object to them retaking the Whalers identity? Like you said, it seems to be better regarded than the Hurricanes' is, and the old hidden-H logo would still work for Houston. As someone who wants to see the Whalers come back even I'll admit Hartford isn't likely to ever get an NHL team again, so I'd think "Houston Whalers" would be the next-best thing.

Don't see any chance Houston would try the nickname "Whalers", even if Aeros isn't available. The Whalers had WHA success, but struggled in the NHL, it's not a strong brand. Better for Hartford to use the name down the line.

If the NHL returns, one day, to Hartford, they would use ressurect the "Whalers" name. If the NHL arrives to Houston, as an expansion team if Carolina says NO to a relocation, they would obviously use the "Aeros" name. There would be no problem if the Quebec Nordiques returns to the NHL as an expansion team under Quebecor, the owner of TVA Sports and, also, the operator of Videotron Centre.

If the Quebec Nordiques returns, the English-language TV home would be Sportsnet East, which recently lost Montreal Canadiens games to TSN 2, which, in my honest opinion, was likely relegated as a secondary feed of TSN, to the viewers in Eastern Ontario, Quebec and Atlantic Canada. The play-by-play would be Dave Randorf and the rinkside analyst would be Jason York, who formerly was a Canadiens on-ice analyst on Sportsnet East. We remind to all of you that this is an assumption.

Edited by Marcos Flamengo
necessary changes