the admiral

NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

The West Point game would almost certainly involve the Golden Knights, Panthers, or both.

With Brian Burke for the ceremonial puck drop.

On 11/20/2017 at 3:39 AM, Still MIGHTY said:

Penguins vs Flyers in a Pennsylvania football stadium....

We did this literally LAST SEASON. Don't even bother making new jerseys. 

To be fair, the original concept for the Pens vs. Flyers game was that it would be a 'home and home' series.  It is just taking a year longer to host the second leg then was originally planned. 

On 11/22/2017 at 3:12 PM, the admiral said:

The West Point game would almost certainly involve the Golden Knights, Panthers, or both.

Shhhhh...don't give them any ideas.

On 11/22/2017 at 12:54 PM, AstroBull21 said:

So I have a question for everyone to ponder.

With Annapolis and South Bend hosting outdoor games in the near future, what non NHL city locations would you like to see host an outdoor game?  Might as well add places that you'd like to see host PERIOD.

My thoughts:

- West Point:  Since Navy has one in 2018, hosting one at West Point could work well.  Could be the Islanders or Devils hosting, maybe even Philly.

- Tropicana Field:  Being a former home of the Lightning, a Stadium Series game in the old stomping grounds against the Flyers would bring back the nostalgia.  It's not the sexy venue, but it like playing in the old barn.

- Ohio Stadium:  With Columbus on the rise, a Winter Classic or Stadium Series at tOSU would be interesting.  Pair them up with the Red Wings and play up the Michigan/Ohio State rivalry and you should have success.

With signing the USNA, the NHL is to play games at the other service academies.

http://m.navysports.com/m/genrel/052917aaa.html

Not even most homeowners in New Tampa now remember that Flyers/Lightning series.

Did anyone think it might be the right climate for a video about someone exposing themselves in a workplace?

Considering the revelations coming out seemingly daily about sexual harassment in workplaces from newsrooms to film sets, maybe just maybe now isn’t the time to make a joke like this. It still doesn’t have comedic value in a vacuum, but it’s especially unfortunate in the current climate.

2017: a nation reported to HR

But anyway, they were clearly trying to rip off the This Is SportsCenter spots, but Ryan Kesler is somehow simultaneously detestable and uncharismatic, so there's nothing funny about it. And if they had set it in someplace identifiably hockey-adjacent, like not the dressing room (nudity's not incongruous there) but in the arena concourse or on the ice, maybe they could swing it, but what's happening here is the defacement of what we know now to be the holiest space in America: the generic white-collar office environment. If the Perds did the same premise and same punchline but with PK Subban, the internet would eat it up like the Cookie Monster.

The Seattle arena deal is a go, so there's team 32 and the 16th in the West. Enjoy your $500 million, 19,000-seat arena for the Remparts, Québec.

6 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

The Seattle arena deal is a go, so there's team 32 and the 16th in the West. Enjoy your $500 million, 19,000-seat arena for the Remparts, Québec.

937841251726053377https://twitter.com/SeaTimesSports/status/937841251726053377

The NHL is expected in the coming months to announce a franchise to Seattle after the City Council approved a $600 million renovation of KeyArena

Maybe Seattle will fail to submit an expansion bid again. I would much rather see Seattle get the Hurricanes, not just for alignment but because their smug hockey-hipster fanbase would adapt to Seattle just fine.

They're not going to move the storied franchise of Hall Of Fame Hockey Builder Peter F :censored: ing Karmanos out to Seattle and kick Chicago east. It'll be Seattle buying in for something north of half a billion in non-HRR, and Arizona being delicately placed in the Central, where it will outlive us all.

7 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Maybe Seattle will fail to submit an expansion bid again. I would much rather see Seattle get the Hurricanes, not just for alignment but because their smug hockey-hipster fanbase would adapt to Seattle just fine.

I really am the only Canes fan on these boards, aren't I?

With that said, I wouldn't even be shocked if they move...and honestly it's probably for the best if they do.

52 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:

I really am the only Canes fan on these boards, aren't I?

Well, you see, when you look at the numbers, they actually lead the board in fan attempts

I dunno, unless I've misread the situation, the Coyotes are homeless after this season. (Who am I kidding, they'll work out an 11th hour one-year extension with Glendale, in April)

Unless Arizona finds a new permanent home, don't be surprised if we eventually get Seattle, Houston, and no Phoenix. Being a Roadrunners STH, and dating a Coyotes fan, I'm hoping the figure it out. Objectively, it's well beyond time to pull the plug. 

The Hurricanes are really the only hope Quebec has. I doubt Chicago will move to the east, just because that's their easy TV means to most of the West's national coverage.

Lets be honest, no one is relocating yntil after the NHL gets their $500 million for team 32. After that, Arizona and Carolina fans should be worried.

Why don't they just relocate Vegas now and save themselves the trouble in 7 years.

Also- if anyone had to move east, wouldn't Nashville be the logical choice?

12 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

They would be. It wouldn't be a horrible choice, as they'd actually save money on travel, overall.

Still, with most hockey games being played at 7, local time, the bulk of their away games suddenly being at 6 pm is less than ideal. Could it work, if it had to? Sure, but a central time zone team in the eastern conference isn't a great fit.

Yea, forgot about the time zone thing. But they are relatively close to a good chunk of Eastern teams- namely Columbus and Carolina, but TB, Detroit, Pittsburgh aren't too far.

1 hour ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

We could have saved a lot of headaches by flipping Nashville and Winnipeg as soon as the Thrashers moved. 

Ovechkin is still going to desert the Capitals during the Olympic fortnight but with no team to play for he's just gonna hang around and chain-smoke.