NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Yeah, but Jay-Z had 2% ownership of the Nets for a week and a half.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yeah, two weeks where he wrote like thirty songs that went "USED TO SELL CRACK IN THE SUBWAY, NOW I OWN THE NETS AT BARCLAYS" and we all nodded our heads and said "yes, this is a musician who articulates the human condition." At least he wasn't ranting that Jews control the real estate yet. And, I mean, the Nets, it's the "awwwww, the Denver Broncos?" Simpsons gag but not played for laughs.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Also, because there can be no good news without bad news (see the summer of 2011: the Winnipeg Jets came back but Vancouver set itself on fire, Rick Rypien and Wade Belak killed themselves, and scores of players died in a fiery plane crash...call it a wash), the Coyotes renewed their lease with Glendale for next year.

26 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, two weeks where he wrote like thirty songs that went "USED TO SELL CRACK IN THE SUBWAY, NOW I OWN THE NETS AT BARCLAYS" and we all nodded our heads and said "yes, this is a musician who articulates the human condition." At least he wasn't ranting that Jews control the real estate yet. And, I mean, the Nets, it's the "awwwww, the Denver Broncos?" Simpsons gag but not played for laughs.

My god every song off of Blueprint 3 and Watch the Throne managed to throw in a Nets reference. And don't get me started on playing as the Nets in NBA 2K13.

In the meantime, although as an Islander fan I always wait til things are officially official, let's go with this

• Like 1

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

On 12/18/2017 at 3:08 PM, the admiral said:

Yeah, there's something about not being able to take federal employees to games because it's considered a gift and would lead to corruption. It seems to be an Ottawa-specific problem.

Basically, if you work in government, you can't accept gifts of any significant value. 

People bitch about government employees all the time, but at least in Canada, they're under pretty strict rules about that kind of thing. 

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

The Barclays Center, in the conversation with the Albatross Vagina PATH station for ugliest new building in New York  never should have been built. They overpromised and underdelivered on adjacent affordable housing, they built it to accommodate an NBA team no one cares about and to inconvenience an NHL team that also no one cares about, but most of all it is a hideous edifice. It's a jellybean made of rust. The Nets could have stayed in Newark or moved in with the Islanders in Nassau County. Never should have been built.

On the other hand, Barclays supplanted MSG as WWE's go-to location in New York City, so there's that at least.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I was really hoping they'd end up near Citi Field. I plan on moving to the city in the next year or two (not to find myself, but to cut down on my commute), and if I'm car-less, Belmont will probably be a pain to get to. And I have a friend in Brooklyn who started going to games and is becoming a fan; he will have a hard time getting to the new place. But it's still a great day. There weren't enough converts like my friend to make up for the Long Island fans who couldn't make the trek to Brooklyn, and Barclays was foolishly not built for hockey.

Brooklyn definitely wasn't a success. But it did buy the franchise time and kept them from moving to Quebec or Kansas City or wherever.

I agree with that sentiment. When they first announced the move to Barclays I was very much in the camp of "Better Brooklyn than Kansas City" and it helped provide a temporary stop while something got figured out here in Nassau. It served its purpose and in the end all worked out.

Of course, if they didn't botch up the Coliseum renovation this could've been figured out a lot sooner. But I ain't complaining one bit about this as it secures the Islanders here on the Island.

Yes, I know Brooklyn's on geographical Long Island :P 

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

21 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Me-yow, didn't think Brooklyn was Queens County

and they should consider Nassau Coliseum in the interim period.

did they just give the Islanders a "don't let the door hit you on the way out" stance?

1 minute ago, Pharos04 said:

and they should consider Nassau Coliseum in the interim period.

did they just give the Islanders a "don't let the door hit you on the way out" stance?

Well technically dont the Nets own both venues?  I thought the Nets renovated the Colseum

Playing an entire season in the downsized Nassau Coliseum probably won't work, but considering the Islanders get the ass end of scheduling at Barclays behind the Nets and concerts, maybe they should split between arenas (the players already practice and for the most part live in Nassau) and use the Coliseum to get more desirable scheduling they can't get at Barclays. Play the Flyers and Penguins on Saturday nights in Nassau, play the Blues on a Wednesday night in Brooklyn. Or just be done with Brooklyn forever as soon as possible, that would be fine by me.

According to the governor, the Islanders are trying to spend as much of the interim at the Nassau Coliseum as they can.

The new arena will be 100% privately financed, by the way, which is great. Granted, it is state land, and the LIRR is going to have to update the Hempstead branch to stop at Belmont Park, but that's a lot better than most arena deals.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

So are the Isles still moving after next season at Barclays? What is the deal?

They will opt out of the lease, which will see them play the 2018-19 season in Brooklyn. After that, it's up in the air until Belmont opens which they hope will be 2020-21. So they will need a home for one year (or more if there are any delays).

The governor said he hopes they can play at least some of their home games at the Coliseum. Bettman replied with a joke about Billy Joel (though he has said in the past that the Coliseum isn't viable even as a temporary venue); Jon Ledecky didn't address it at all. The Barclays folks, who run the Coliseum, said, “We are currently awaiting a response from the Islanders to our proposal to bring NHL games back home to the Coliseum on an interim basis. We understand the required approvals from all parties involved to make that happen, and are prepared to facilitate any necessary enhancements.”

So, who knows? Maybe they play an entire season (and even parts of 2018-19) at the Coliseum. Maybe they split the year between Uniondale and Brooklyn. Maybe they just stay in Brooklyn for another year. Maybe the talks with Barclays fall apart and they spend the interregnum at MSG or Hartford or the Meadowlands if that arena is still even operable.

Count Bettman, for all his ills, will probably make sure a New York team doesn't become more of a gong show than it already is and get everyone to come to some sort of equitable agreement (probably just the Nets letting the Isles use the Coliseum and not being completely Thrashered out of the business).

• Like 3

Maybe the Islanders' home games with the Rangers will be moved to Madison Square Garden, taking the NHL's give-the-Rangers-extra-home-games policy from outdoors to indoors.

• Like 7