NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Kind of disappointing that the arena is slated to be another ugly modernist jellybean thing:

image.JPG

I was hoping for something that matched the grandstand:Belmont-building.jpg

It'd probably be cheaper to build a brick rectangle, too.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

They tried it with the Igloo and it never worked right. Same with Stade Olympique. Mind you, they've probably gotten the technology down better since then, but a retractable roof might get in way of an INVERTED BOWL

Instead of retractable roof, there should be a retractable arena.  The roof stays fixed, but the ice/court, stands, and concourses roll out kinda like the field in Glendale.  All they'd have to do is build the entire arena (sans the structure that holds the roof) on a platform that's on top of like 3,000 tires, and then they could either automate the rolling of the interior, or simply hitch it to something super powerful - like a jet - and tow it out.  I'm shocked nobody has tried this before.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Instead of retractable roof, there should be a retractable arena.  The roof stays fixed, but the ice/court, stands, and concourses roll out kinda like the field in Glendale.  All they'd have to do is build the entire arena (sans the structure that holds the roof) on a platform that's on top of like 3,000 tires, and then they could either automate the rolling of the interior, or simply hitch it to something super powerful - like a jet - and tow it out.  I'm shocked nobody has tried this before.

BBTV,

Look to the French.

The stadium in Lille has a retractable roof, like the Arizona Cardinals, but moving half the grass also reveals hidden seating for an arena configuration.

https://www.johndesmond.com/blog/design/lilles-grand-stadium/

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Watch them not finish their paperwork again.

Wouldn't surprise me. I hope they get a team though. I would've preferred the league move financially struggling teams like the 'Yotes or the Panthers to Vegas/Seattle/Quebec/Milwaukee/Houston/etc... rather than expand, but it is what it is.

8 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Then maybe, just maybe, they'll be renamed the Las Vegas Knights. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

• Like 4

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

6 minutes ago, DustDevil61 said:

Then maybe, just maybe, they'll be renamed the Las Vegas Knights. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

Not unless they get approval from London on the name, since they hold the trademark in Canada. I'm betting they'll just use the Sand Knights trademark that they already have from a while back.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

1 minute ago, chrysleraspen08 said:

Not unless they get approval from London on the name, since they hold the trademark in Canada. I'm betting they'll just use the Sand Knights trademark that they already have from a while back.

But I imagine getting approval from a Canadian Junior team would be considerably easier than the U.S. Army. Still, I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 2

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Listening to a Tony Schiavone podcast about WCW Thunder and Tony brings up that for all the money WCW made in their banner year of 1998, most of it went to...you guessed it: the expansion fee for the Atlanta Thrashers!

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Listening to a Tony Schiavone podcast about WCW Thunder and Tony brings up that for all the money WCW made in their banner year of 1998, most of it went to...you guessed it: the expansion fee for the Atlanta Thrashers!

So Gary Bettman killed WCW? G-d :censored: ing damnit!

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

OITGDNHL.

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)