NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

31 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It's been a long way down for the man who three months ago was considered one of the best general managers in the entire league (by writers whose friends worked for him). "Terminating a contract" in the NHL is what you do for players who want to move back to Europe, or smuggle bricks of Percocet across international borders.

Ouch.

dj4D362.png

VmWIn6B.png

On 3/7/2018 at 10:23 PM, the admiral said:

Well, apparently Raleigh is gonna have a lot of stupid hockey!

Nothing new there... and we won't have it for that much longer.  This guy's ultimately going to move the team or sell it to someone who will.

On 3/21/2018 at 5:15 PM, Ice_Cap said:

Because despite the insistence of the southern fans here on this site? They really do have an inferiority complex compared to any NHL market north of the Mason-Dixon line. 

Only when it comes to hockey itself.  But rightfully so - the southern markets are, by and large, inferior when it comes to pro hockey.

5 hours ago, LMU said:

They're following the "bolt the South to resurrect a beloved Canadian franchise" model.  Vive les Nordiques!

Again, let us have a Major League Baseball franchise, and the Hurricanes can go anywhere.  I'd jettison them, the Durham Bulls and the Carolina Mudcats in a heartbeat to get the A's to move to Raleigh... or even the (Devil) Rays, provided we could rebrand the team when they moved.

nav-logo.png

I wish we could cut to the chase already and see this Dundon guy get arrested for fraud or embezzlement or something. I'm bored.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I thought that was going to happen with Vinnie Viola. Shows what I know!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Hurricanes aren't just done, they're Dundon.

• Like 1

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

22 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

The Hurricanes aren't just done, they're Dundon.

This is inane. It's basically doubling down on failure. You'd almost think they want to become Nordiques 2.0

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

"I don't want to spend any money on this crap I bought, but apparently there's something called a *emphatic air quotes* "salary floor" that I have to adhere to. Donny, your job is two jobs now. Okay, who around here wants to be head coach? No raises."

• Like 1

Here's what I don't understand about the Raleigh (sorry, they're Raleigh's team, I'm gonna call 'em that) Hurricanes... I'll do the same for the Charlotte Panthers...

What happens when, inevitably, the organization has to part company with Brind'Amour, presuming they have to fire him?  The team already has already spent the past decade alienating its fan base.  Right or wrong, the Ron Francis firing was handled with about the same tact Jerry Jones used when he dealt with Tom Landry back in '89.  Brind'Amour's a great guy and popular with the few fans the team has left - what happens when they have to ****can him?

nav-logo.png

The theory rumbling in my brain is that Dundon, a vulture capitalist by trade whose big windfall came from predatory auto loans, is going to run the franchise all cheap and bare-bones until he can flip it to Quebecor, who will pay an NHL-mandated premium price for it.

Rod Brin-da-who? :censored: him. He's just an employee. I got mine, bye.

• Like 2

This is spectacular. It's Blackhawks Head Coach Denis Savard all over again: a team legend gets a permanent assistant-coaching job through multiple head coaches because he's the only distinguished alumnus who would return the owner's calls. Then because nobody else will take such a job as toxic as head coach, he gets promoted to it despite being ill-suited to anything more intricate than telling the guys to play harder. He will look angry and get angry and serve up a big specialty-bakery cookie of a soundbite and everyone will jerk off over his "compete level" while the team loses because they give up odd-man rushes where no one thought odd-man rushes could be given up. But where the story diverges is that Brind'Amour is a roided-out steakhead being charged with a roster full of flakes who couldn't land a check if they wanted to. Prepare for Teuvo Teravainen getting wallpapered on every shift because no one knows where they're supposed to be. Blame it on low COMPETE LEVEL!!!

Somehow Brind'Amour both preceded and survived the Canes' era of "smart hockey," where they gamed their Corsi and never took penalties and never made the playoffs. Now that smart hockey failed, they get to do dumb hockey! And Don Waddell is here to help! This is so much better than letting a French-Canadian cable company buy the team. We couldn't have that.

• Like 2

Rod Brind'Amour was one of - if not my favorite player ever from a time when I lived and died by hockey.  Sucks for him that Eric Lindros sodomized his wife and he had to get traded away because of it, but at least Rick Tocchet KO'd Lindros, and we got Keith Primeau out of it.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Rod Brind'Amour was one of - if not my favorite player ever from a time when I lived and died by hockey.  Sucks for him that Eric Lindros sodomized his wife and he had to get traded away because of it, but at least Rick Tocchet KO'd Lindros, and we got Keith Primeau out of it.

It's funny. I have heard that it was Rod that punched Lindros but I have also heard that Recchi was actually the one to punch Big E. I guess we will never know. Either way, Brind'Amour most likely got traded because of it.

On 5/11/2018 at 4:05 PM, jmac11281 said:

It's funny. I have heard that it was Rod that punched Lindros but I have also heard that Recchi was actually the one to punch Big E. I guess we will never know. Either way, Brind'Amour most likely got traded because of it.

If my memory serves, Brind'Amour was traded before the KO punch, and then when they re-acquired Tocchet (who was friends with Brind'Amour) he decked 88 which lead to him being written out of the lineup with a mysterious injury, and a few erroneous newspaper reports that he was hungover.

So Rod wasn't there, and Recchi just wasn't that type of guy, and the timing (again, if I'm remembering) lines up with Tocchet (who is that type of guy), so I'm pretty sure that's who it was.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

59 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If my memory serves, Brind'Amour was traded before the KO punch, and then when they re-acquired Tocchet (who was friends with Brind'Amour) he decked 88 which lead to him being written out of the lineup with a mysterious injury, and a few erroneous newspaper reports that he was hungover.

So Rod wasn't there, and Recchi just wasn't that type of guy, and the timing (again, if I'm remembering) lines up with Tocchet (who is that type of guy), so I'm pretty sure that's who it was.

My gut would definitely say Tocchet. I feel like he has already killed a man.

Over on the Don Waddell side of things, let me remind you that he once used a first-round draft pick -- the one they got from Pittsburgh in the Marian Hossa trade -- on a player in Junior B. Junior Freaking B! I realize that drafting players out of Junior A is common because lots of elite but college-bound Canadian prospects play there to maintain amateur status, and that many great NHLers have come out of Junior A, but Junior B? Two levels down from CHL? With a first? Why? But did the pick work out in the end? No, they failed to sign him to a contract and received a compensatory second-round pick as a result. Of course, by then, the Thrashers were already dead, so at least Waddell couldn't blow the redraft. The Jets used the pick on Eric Comrie, who will probably be Hellebuyck's backup next year. 

So I guess where I'm going with this is that every year before the draft, there's a minor ruckus over the possibility that one of the top three teams in the draft, perhaps even the team drafting first overall, will TRADE THE PICK, gasp!, or at least "listen to offers," and we're going through that now with the #2 pick and the Hurricanes. Most of the time, especially in the last few years, these picks don't get traded, and all the talk about the #2 pick going for a top center, top defenseman, top prospect, and three Hawaiian islands is just noise to get us hyped for transaction season, noise I've learned to tune out. But with Don Waddell back at the controls, I'm allowing for some of that noise, because a man who would use a first-round pick on a Junior B player can be talked into almost anything.