NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

53 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

you tell me which one is Rick Tocchet and which one is the PTSD-laced veteran from a Seinfeld episode.

Hide contents

rs-141026-thefatigues-1800-1404913015.jp

rick-tocchet-070617-usnews-getty-ftr_1wm

I give up. I can't tell.

“Look at the income base and the population base and there probably isn’t a smaller market, so they’re going to really have to distinguish themselves in some other way, I would think.”

9.5 million people or whatever in the television viewing area and a really nice arena would seem to do the trick. Houston is fool's gold, they'll never understand.

Also, I believe there are considerably more people within a 50-mile radius of Quebec City's arena than there are in Winnipeg's. Population Explorer shut down, though. :(

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

9.5 million people or whatever in the television viewing area and a really nice arena would seem to do the trick. Houston is fool's gold, they'll never understand.

Also, I believe there are considerably more people within a 50-mile radius of Quebec City's arena than there are in Winnipeg's. Population Explorer shut down, though. :(

Shhhhhh...stop talking sense, this is the NHL...

• Like 1

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

On 5/17/2018 at 12:05 PM, mcj882000 said:

In other news, lockout-instigator and Growing The Game expert Jeremy Jacobs thinks Quebec City is "too challenged" to support an NHL team: 
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/bruins-owner-jeremy-jacobs-quebec-nhl-market-theyre-challenged/

Y'know, I've got to believe there's something to that, otherwise they'dve joined Vegas this year as expansion brethren.  Meanwhile Seattle's going to be a slam dunk to be the 32nd franchise, while Quebec's application remains "pending," seemingly indefinitely.

Houston wouldn't be a bad market for the NHL, but if it's Houston vs. Quebec?  To me it's a no-brainer:  Quebec all the way.

On another note, I've tended to jump into VGK game broadcasts after the first puck has dropped, and am just now learning about what these guys are doing during pre-game festivities.  Are they not doing some cool **** there or what?

nav-logo.png

On 5/18/2018 at 9:22 PM, Wings said:

It's the NHL, so Houston is inevitable. Bettman finally gives in and the Coyotes relocate there in time for the 2019-20 season. 

Nah, they won't allow anyone to relocate until after Seattle's inaugural season, barring a complete meltdown.

I do think Houston is the only way I see them moving the Coyotes, much like Quebec only gets a team if/when the Hurricanes finally hit the end of their rope.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Another distant Houston candidate the could be Flames with their whole arena situation.

There was this article from Eric Francis (someone who has been obviously pro-ownership throughout the arena discussions and many Flames fans have probably rightly called him a shill/don't like him) back in December where he feels the Flames will be in Houston within the next three years and I have heard from a guy who heard from a guy who apparently knows people in the ownership (take that as you will) that there's more to the Flames and Houston thing than the public knows (also take that as you will).

That Francis article is not good and he's clearly on the side of the ownership, but there might be some inkling of truth to this.

Another wrinkle is that the Flames ownership group, CSEC, also own the CFL's Stampeders, the NLL's Roughnecks and the WHL's Hitmen, the latter two share the Saddledome with the Flames and if you recall the CalgaryNEXT proposal that started this whole Flames arena saga, the plan also included a new stadium for the Stamps along with the arena for the Flames, Roughnecks and Hitmen. The Roughnecks and Hitmen are directly affected by this whole arena discussion with the Stampeders also along for the ride (and personally, I feel the Stamps need to get a new stadium before the Flames do), so a forgotten issue is how the ownership's and the NHL's posturing with the City of Calgary will impact the other three teams.

IbjBaeE.png

Yeah, Edwards wanted a free billion dollars from the city for all of his sports toys, and when the mayor had the sense to tell him to go screw, he brought in the NHL to try to influence the mayoral election. Murray was stacking Ls all season long on and off the ice.

If Murray Edwards thinks he can do better with one team in Houston than he can with four teams in Calgary, I advise him to go ahead and try his luck.

• Like 3
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

personally, I feel the Stamps need to get a new stadium before the Flames do

Why? If the Saddledome is an impediment to touring acts and isn't ideal for the Flames either, then that's the priority over a minor-league football stadium that only gets used a few times a year. I'm sure it's fine enough for what it has to be. That billion-dollar omniplex the Flames wanted was a stupid idea. Pay for your own normal arena and leave it at that.

With Paul Allen becoming disinterested in owning his sports teams and stopping to block other leagues from coming here, you might see Portland finally open up to other sports. NFL most likely never, MLB is still a long way off even what others might say. NHL is the only possibility right now. Calgary & Arizona to Portland & Houston. You pick which one goes where. 

55 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

Only the goddamn NHL could try and influence a foreign election to suit their own needs and fail at it.

*Brian Burke undoes tie, drunkenly flails fists at random people while mumbling about a barn, pisses all over the floor, lets out unholy belch*

"It's time for some game theory."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

Yeah, Edwards wanted a free billion dollars from the city for all of his sports toys, and when the mayor had the sense to tell him to go screw, he brought in the NHL to try to influence the mayoral election. Murray was stacking Ls all season long on and off the ice.

If Murray Edwards thinks he can do better with one team in Houston than he can with four teams in Calgary, I advise him to go ahead and try his luck.

I think Edwards would sell the team in the case of them moving to Houston and who knows what would happen with the other teams. Though all four have dedicated fanbases here in Calgary, though will major overlap.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Why? If the Saddledome is an impediment to touring acts and isn't ideal for the Flames either, then that's the priority over a minor-league football stadium that only gets used a few times a year. I'm sure it's fine enough for what it has to be. That billion-dollar omniplex the Flames wanted was a stupid idea. Pay for your own normal arena and leave it at that.

Okay before was the wrong word and obviously the Saddledome is priority, but it terms of amenities and fan gameday experience, McMahon Stadium is in worse shape than the Saddledome, especially compared to the new ones in the league. And calling it minor league is kind of flippant.

But yes, an arena is needed and people here are in favour of a new arena, just not of what’s been proposed. By and large, I think most in Calgary are on the City’s side and not the ownership’s.

IbjBaeE.png

I think I've demonstrated over the past several years that I have a pretty high tolerance for NHL owners and executives being unapologetic buffoons and or a-holes. But man, this is awful. There are some genuinely bad people here.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Jeremy Jacobs again earned his front-and-center spot in an article about how bad or stupid the NHL is, but this one stuck out too:

- In an August 2015 deposition, Nashville Predators co-owner Thomas Cigarran testified that there doesn't need to be a medical study of NHL retirees “from a legal or moral standpoint” although he said “it might be smart business...”

Certainly punctures the myth of the Predators being a distinctly moral team because one guy plays for them.

• Like 3

I thought Assistant Captain Hobby Lobbyist and Mike Ribeiro took care of that on their own, but you do you.

Glen Sather doing the internal rich-guy chuckle as he says he can think of two or three million reasons not to study players' mental health is some bad screenplay isht.

I'd like to be surprised about Mario Lemieux, but didn't he once claim he slept through his teammate violently raping a woman in their room?

• Like 3