the admiral

NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

As someone who is from Houston, I’m pretty sure the NHL would work here. 

What irks me about the situation in Quebec is the NHL has no issues making merchandise money from the fans in the city and people all over. But no, Vegas just NEEDS a team. 

20 hours ago, the admiral said:

OITGDNHL or 4chan: Mike Hoffman's girlfriend trolled Erik Karlsson's wife on the internet about her dead baby. Hoooooooooly crap this is just toys-in-the-attic crazy. Why? Why?

Absolutely disgusting and bonkers. Like what in the hell.

And after Hoffman said they were "150 percent" not involved, a bunch of current/former Sens wives/girlfriends vouched for how nuts this girl is.

Gary Bettman is seriously in the Hockey Hall of Fame?

44 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

I didn’t know they had a wing for overzealous trolls

Yeah, his info blurb on the NHL's press release was laughable.

Somehow, they failed to include his biggest legacy of three (could well run into four) separate lockouts, including the cancellation of a full season. But hey! He moved the Jets from Winnipeg! to Phoenix Glendale Arizona! where they've failed thrived! and begrudgingly graciously gave Winnipeg another Jets!

He's a grower of the game. He helped grow the bank accounts of billionaire owners into gagillionaire owners 😋

1 hour ago, ninersdd said:

i would say the NHL gave some of this to them:

Related image

Insert joke about various bad people being named Time's Man of the Year. People will certainly remember Bettman long after he retires.

I'm just gonna point out that the only reason Bettman got the job in 1993 was because President Gil Stein resigned in disgrace after nominating himself to the Hall of Fame. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but maybe wait until he's out of the job before considering him for the Hall?

54 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

I'm just gonna point out that the only reason Bettman got the job in 1993 was because President Gil Stein resigned in disgrace after nominating himself to the Hall of Fame. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but maybe wait until he's out of the job before considering him for the Hall?

that would be a good rule to have.  

Truly a man who deserves his place in the basement of a disused bank.

Gary has been great for the sport. I mean, moving a team to Arizona was a freakin no brainer. But then to oversee the franchise to make sure they wouldn’t move anytime

soon? Good guy. Hartford? Please. North Carolina is a great hockey state. No one in Hartford even cares about hockey. Sunrise, Florida? Naturally! Oh, and don’t get me started on Vegas. Such a smart move. I can’t wait to see how much success they have in 5 years. Great fans in Nevada! Now of course there were a few bumps. Winnipeg should NEVER have a team. And how has Mexico not gotten a team? They ARE in the Sun Belt, so they need a team! Its just Manifest Destiny! #DesertHockey #Sunrise,FLHockey

#MoveSouth

19 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Gary has been great for the sport. I mean, moving a team to Arizona was a freakin no brainer. But then to oversee the franchise to make sure they wouldn’t move anytime

soon? Good guy. Hartford? Please. North Carolina is a great hockey state. No one in Hartford even cares about hockey. Sunrise, Florida? Naturally! Oh, and don’t get me started on Vegas. Such a smart move. I can’t wait to see how much success they have in 5 years. Great fans in Nevada! Now of course there were a few bumps. Winnipeg should NEVER have a team. And how has Mexico not gotten a team? They ARE in the Sun Belt, so they need a team! Its just Manifest Destiny! #DesertHockey #Sunrise,FLHockey

#MoveSouth

You know what, I think you might not mean exactly what you wrote. 

Coyotes are back on their bullsh-t, trading for dead cap space, but this one's a real doozy:

They're paying $200,000 in real money for $5,275,000 in cap hit. EVERYTHING'S FINE

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/walmart-sauce-hockey-paul-bissonnette-nhl-t-shirts-1.4742380

Some hockey t-shirts had some attached copy about the habits of puck bunnies. This surprised me because I'm not used to jokes about gangbanging teenage girls being so out in the open like this. But what really surprised me was this part:

The current owners of Sauce Hockey also expressed surprise and dismay over the descriptions.

"It's offensive and sexist. There's no question," said Daryl Jones, one of the company's investors.

He said he and a group of fellow investors took over the company three years ago, and they had no knowledge of the product descriptions.

YEAH IT'S THE ICE EDGE GUY THEY NEVER GO AWAY

Hurricanes fired radio play-by-play guy, Chuck Kaiton, today. Kaiton had been with the franchise for 39 years going back to Hartford. Carolina will join Dallas and Buffalo as the only NHL teams to simulcast their TV broadcasts on the radio.

The real relevant information from the News & Observer article:

Kaiton’s agent submitted a counterproposal to the Hurricanes after Kaiton’s contract expired on June 30, but the team stood firm on its final offer to the broadcaster, which included a dramatic pay cut as the Hurricanes and new owner Tom Dundon attempt to reckon with their money-losing radio broadcast while giving Kaiton the opportunity to recoup some of the losses by selling sponsorships, which is the kind of arrangement more typical on the minor-league level.

---

The expiration of his contract combined with the change in ownership from Peter Karmanos to Dundon brought a re-examination of the economics of the team’s radio deal. The team pays WCMC-99.9 FM to carry the broadcast, incurring six-figure losses while apparently drawing fewer than 2,000 listeners per game. Kaiton’s salary was a big part of that expense.

“Radio is not a prudent financial decision,” Hurricanes general manager Don Waddell said earlier this summer. “It’s important, I think, to have it for the people that still want to listen to it, but it’s something from a business standpoint that doesn’t make a lot of sense.”

FULL ARTICLE

(Also posting in Sports Media thread)

The team pays WCMC-99.9 FM to carry the broadcast, incurring six-figure losses while apparently drawing fewer than 2,000 listeners per game.

iT's ImPoRtAnT tO bE iN tHe RaLeIgH-dUrHaM mEdIa MaRkEt

So, Dundon owns the team then fires the GM to take on a more hands-on role.

Hell, if he takes over as the PBP guy he'll be the hockey equivalent of pre-Attitude Era Vince McMahon.

Hurricanes fans on reddit seem pretty supportive of the move, which is a bit of a poison pill, because supporting Genius Owner Tom Dundon on this also requires one to lean very hard on "well come on what are they supposed to do when only 2,000 people are listening." 

Incidentally, if their radio numbers are that bad, how bad is the TV side? The Canes and Perds are able to hide their television ratings because of some quirk in how Fox Sports South is distributed, but I maintain that if they had numbers to brag about, they'd find a way to tell us.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Hurricanes fans on reddit seem pretty supportive of the move, which is a bit of a poison pill, because supporting Genius Owner Tom Dundon on this also requires one to lean very hard on "well come on what are they supposed to do when only 2,000 people are listening." 

Incidentally, if their radio numbers are that bad, how bad is the TV side? The Canes and Perds are able to hide their television ratings because of some quirk in how Fox Sports South is distributed, but I maintain that if they had numbers to brag about, they'd find a way to tell us.

You inspired me to go over and look.

What a delusional group.