NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

In fairness, we had nearly a decade of an NFC West with San Francisco, St. Louis, New Orleans, Atlanta, and Carolina, plus a quarter-century of Cincinnati and Atlanta being NL West teams, despite there being 5 teams west of Cincinnati when this alignment was set.

Sports aren't always spot-on with the geography.

NFL divisions don't really matter geographically. They have a week to get to the game, adjust, play the game, and get back.

If you're a west-coast fan who hates 10/11AM games and your team is in a division with all eastern and central teams, it kind of matters.

The opposite wouldn't matter as much.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In fairness, we had nearly a decade of an NFC West with San Francisco, St. Louis, New Orleans, Atlanta, and Carolina, plus a quarter-century of Cincinnati and Atlanta being NL West teams, despite there being 5 teams west of Cincinnati when this alignment was set.

Sports aren't always spot-on with the geography.

NFL divisions don't really matter geographically. They have a week to get to the game, adjust, play the game, and get back.

If you're a west-coast fan who hates 10/11AM games and your team is in a division with all eastern and central teams, it kind of matters.

The opposite wouldn't matter as much.

Well, yes, but nobody liked the Cardinals back then anyway.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And given how the current state of affairs came about, I'm all for the NHL jacking up the admission fee for them as possible. Oh, you don't think charging US$800M when your dollar is worth only 75¢ is fair when we let Vegas in for only $500M?

I don't think you get how currency conversion works.

I do. That was my point. Fork over a billion loonies before the price goes up or your currency goes down, Quebecor. Or, you can try booking 250 nights of your new arena and charging NHL prices for Remparts games.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

And given how the current state of affairs came about, I'm all for the NHL jacking up the admission fee for them as possible. Oh, you don't think charging US$800M when your dollar is worth only 75¢ is fair when we let Vegas in for only $500M?

I don't think you get how currency conversion works.

I do. That was my point. Fork over a billion loonies before the price goes up or your currency goes down, Quebecor. Or, you can try booking 250 nights of your new arena and charging NHL prices for Remparts games.

$500M USD is $500M USD no matter which currency you start from. I don't see what charging more in USD would accomplish. Les Quebecois will actually show up to the games... which will put the Nordiques ahead of revenue for a Las Vegas team, even with the currency disparity. Also, the loonie was worth more than the American dollar as recently as a couple of years ago; currency values rise and fall.

• Like 1

You make excellent points that I hadn't considered regarding the TV money. Given the repeated articles I've read about the looming RSN bubble, it seems like you'd have to have a network ready and in place that you could grab your cash from, pronto. I think Cox has a presence in Vegas, and they run an RSN in New Orleans for the Pelicans, so maybe there could be a similar setup.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• 2 weeks later...

Phase 2 invites have been sent....

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/las-vegas-quebec-city-invited-to-phase-ii-of-nhl-expansion-process/

The groups bidding to bring NHL expansion franchises to Las Vegas and Quebec City are one step closer to making their expansion dreams a reality.

Wednesday afternoon, Bill Foley, the prospective owner of the Las Vegas team, released a statement through Vegas Wants Hockey saying the club had been invited to participate in the second phase of the expansion process.

“We are pleased to report that the NHL has invited us to participate in Phase II of the application process to secure an NHL team in Las Vegas,” Foley said in a statement. “In this phase, we will be providing the League with additional information, including information about the Las Vegas market and the MGM AEG Arena being developed between Monte Carlo and New York New York. We will also be permitted access to information provided by the League that it deems important to us.”

Hmmm, interesting....

baltimoreravens.png

• 4 weeks later...

I'd rather see them go back to Hartford, but Hartford doesn't have its act together and probably never will. At least this would keep the same 16 teams in the East and thus keep the world from ending. The league doesn't need Raleigh; no league does.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'd rather see them go back to Hartford, but Hartford doesn't have its act together and probably never will. At least this would keep the same 16 teams in the East and thus keep the world from ending. The league doesn't need Raleigh; no league does.

Yeah, Hartford's best chance to get the Whalers back was lost once Vince McMahon lost all of his money from the WWE network. Then again, if your ownership group is centered on Vince McMahon I guess you don't really deserve a hockey team :(

I don't think that's the case. There was a panic initially when they didn't reach the 1 million subscriptions, but the Network has surged the last several months and is, I believe, doing better than expected. I'm sure he made back whatever money he was thought to initially have lost.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I realize that, as a NHL fan, I can't be picky about league ownership. Probably not a criminal? Actually having the money needed to own and run a professional hockey team? Vince is already a step above most NHL owners.

Still? Keep him out of the NHL. Please. The shameless cross-promotional "comedy" skits on Raw would be enough to damage whatever goodwill the league has left after two lockouts in less than a decade.

• Like 2

I realize that, as a NHL fan, I can't be picky about league ownership. Probably not a criminal? Actually having the money needed to own and run a professional hockey team? Vince is already a step above most NHL owners.

Still? Keep him out of the NHL. Please. The shameless cross-promotional "comedy" skits on Raw would be enough to damage whatever goodwill the league has left after two lockouts in less than a decade.

Indeed. Vince has shown he can never leave well enough alone. The XFL had promise as an idea, but the WWFness of it all killed it before it ever had a chance.

A McMahon-owned hockey team would have the same challenges.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Oh great.

"We've decided not to expand to Quebec City at this time due to ongoing certainty about the situation in Raleigh. More on that later though, because VEGAS BITCHEZZZZ!!!"

And Quebec remains vacant while the Canes either go to Seattle or keep lurching along in college basketball land.

Don Waddell is still allowed to be in charge of something hockey-related? Christ, once you're in this league, it really is an endless fall upward.