hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: 1989 Off-Season

1,778 posts in this topic

Long Islands really loading up. They better win a Lewis or 2 or they're in troubble.

And I just realized something: Twisters vs. Spirits is going to be an instant rivalry. And, the rivalry will be tornadoes versus airplanes. One part of Missouri versus the other with two things that are associated with each city. Pretty neat.

1 person likes this

I do have a question, it could be PHL trivia, but have any goalies scored a goal in league play?

I forgot to say this earlier, but NOVA SCOTIA NEEDS TO BRING THE CHEST STRIPE BACK!!!!! Ok, I'm done, carry on.

Posted (edited)

Love KC and Miami! Miami's logo already screams the 80's!

Edited by Jbadger9
Spelling error

Stingrays is a great name for Miami. Color scheme is perfect. Can't wait to see the logo and uniforms. 

Twisters have a good scheme as well, and the wordmark hints at another 90s-esque design. Have to say, I'm excited for next offseason. 

On 3/4/2017 at 7:29 PM, Magic Dynasty said:

I'm getting a real Magic vibe from both the Twisters and Stingrays. Both are from the same year, and I noticed these similarities:

KC: "Electric" blue, black, silver, white. Those are also the exact terms that the Magic used when they unveiled their colors. 

Miami: As someone stated already, the Magic were really the "intro to the 90s" team in the NBA. The Stingrays definitely seem like that team now, and I love the overall wackiness of the wordmark. 

There was definitely a little bit of inspiration from the Magic more for the Miami look. There's a bit of original Charlotte Hornets in there too. The colours are similar to the Magic for KC but the primary inspiration for the Twisters' colours was the actually the Carolina Panthers. I always loved that colour scheme and thought it would look great on a hockey uniform.

23 hours ago, New York's Greatest said:

Not sure if agree with that trade between LI-Milwaukee...but anyways... I love the vibe from Miami! Really cool woodmark as well. 

As for KC, twisters are cool name the woodmark is awesome, but the colors aren't my cup of tea because they feel a little too obvious for a KC team but that's my opinion. Also the silver "Kansas City" could be darkened a little, it's a tad bit hard to see on the white background

20 hours ago, Cardinal said:

Long Islands really loading up. They better win a Lewis or 2 or they're in troubble.

I think Milwaukee will win that deal in the long run but for now, the Concordes are undoubtedly the team to beat this season (along with St. Louis, the two teams' ratings are actually the same). Long Island is making a huge push to win now and it may cost them long-term, but I would be surprised if they don't at least return to the finals very soon.

20 hours ago, Red Comet said:

And I just realized something: Twisters vs. Spirits is going to be an instant rivalry. And, the rivalry will be tornadoes versus airplanes. One part of Missouri versus the other with two things that are associated with each city. Pretty neat.

I never though of the tornado/airplane thing, that's kinda cool. As for the rivalry, it will probably take about a decade to really get going but when it does, it has the potential to be one of the most intense in the league.

15 hours ago, RedfieldNick said:

I do have a question, it could be PHL trivia, but have any goalies scored a goal in league play?

I forgot to say this earlier, but NOVA SCOTIA NEEDS TO BRING THE CHEST STRIPE BACK!!!!! Ok, I'm done, carry on.

No goaltender has scored a goal yet, but this is the right era for it to happen (it was around this time that Ron Hextall got the first NHL goal for a goalie).

I always liked those Claymores jerseys a lot too, that's why I chose to bring those back as a retro alternate instead of the championship ones from 1967. If it proves to be a big hit with the fans, the team may even consider bringing it or at least an updated version of it back full-time.

1 hour ago, Jbadger9 said:

Love KC and Miami! Miami's logo already screams the 80's!

1 hour ago, ~Bear said:

Stingrays is a great name for Miami. Color scheme is perfect. Can't wait to see the logo and uniforms. 

Twisters have a good scheme as well, and the wordmark hints at another 90s-esque design. Have to say, I'm excited for next offseason. 

Thanks guys! and thanks everyone for your feedback, Next up I'll be posting the new uniforms for the 1988 World Hockey Challenge, then I'll post a brief summary of the tournament itself. After that I should be able to get KC's logo up before I post the next season. Thanks again guys!

2 people like this

1988 World Hockey Challenge

http://phlnetwork.blogspot.ca/

WHC1988-2.png

The 1988 World Hockey Challenge would be the second tournament hosted in Europe, taking place in Helsinki, Finland. With their strongest ever PHL contingent, boasting superstars Jari Pukki, Jani Kaaleppi, and Ari Hannula in goal, the hosts hoped to pull off a few upsets at the tournament. Hannula proved to be the Fins’ best player, shutting out the British in game two of the tournament. It would be Finland’s only win in the Round Robin, as the team had lost 7-3 to the Soviets in the opener, then lost in the dying minutes to rival Sweden. The Soviets once again proved to be a powerhouse, with young superstars Sergei Krayev and Alexei Yolkin leading the way while goaltender Alexei Teryoshin seemed unbeatable. The Soviets cruised to a 3-0-0 record with a total of 24 goals scored over three round robin games. 23-year-old Krayev led the tournament in scoring with 7 goals in three games. In Pool A, The Canadians found themselves without their best player when David Appleby announced he would stay home to rest his shoulder, which had been injured during the 1988 PHL playoffs. With Appleby out, Canadian expectations fell on Stuart Burns and Vincent Ducharme. Both players had no problems finding the net in the first two games as Canada defeated West Germany and Czechoslovakia 6-0 and 8-1 respectively. Meanwhile, the Americans entered the tournament with their strongest team ever. Some experts even considered them the favorites to win the tournament. With Captain Craig Bush leading the way, Team USA rolled over Czechoslovakia and West Germany before facing their northern rivals Canada in the round robin finale. The Americans needed a win against Canada in order to take first place in their pool, and their star players would come through. Bush, Jason Crowley, and Gary Clayton each scored while Brian Donovan stood tall as the Americans secured first place.

WHCstandings.png

The Americans continued to roll in the playoff round as they defeated Great Britain 6-2, while Canada survived a close matchup with the host Fins, ultimately winning 5-2 after being tied 2-2 throughout most of the third period. The Soviets also continued to dominate with a 9-0 win over West Germany, while Czechoslovakia came up with the first and only upset of the playoff round with a 5-4 shootout win over Sweden. In the Semifinals, both Alexei Yurlov and Sergei Krayev registered hat-tricks in an 8-3 victory over the Czechs. The Soviets would return to the championship game for the first time since 1980. Meanwhile, the other semifinal game would be a rematch of the 1984 semis, the battle of North America. Team USA jumped to an early 2-0 lead, thanks to a breakaway goal from Jason Crowley, and a hard point shot from Randy Fernandez that was tipped by Craig Davidson. Canada stormed back in the second period, however, with Danny Stevenson scoring on the powerplay before Pete Holloway tied it up. Canada finally went ahead just two minutes into the third when Dave Mack beat two American defenders for the go-ahead goal. With just 40 seconds remaining, Jason Crowley beat Brent MacDonald for the tying goal. The game ultimately went to a shootout. Both MacDonald and Donovan each made several huge saves before Ducharme finally gave Canada the lead. The Americans had one chance to tie it and Craig Bush took the shot. MacDonald very calmly made the stop as Canada went on to face the Soviets in the title game for the third time in tournament history.

The Championship game would be another close one. Canada appeared to have control early after a pair of goals from Stuart Burns and Scott Whitmore. But by the end of the second period, the Soviets managed to erase the lead and build a 3-2 lead of their own on goals from Krayev, Igor Travkin, and veteran Alexander Orlov. Entering the third, Canada needed a big goal, and they would get it from Pete Holloway to tie the game 3-3. Just four minutes later, Ducharme scored to give the Canadians a 4-3 lead before scoring again to make it 5-3. The Soviets were quick to bounce back, once again bringing the game within one on a goal from Alexei Yolkin. With just over a minute to go, the Soviets made one final push for the tying goal, but they could not solve Brent MacDonald. As the clock wound down, Burns scored his second of the game to secure the 6-4 win and a third straight World title for Team Canada. For the second year in a row, one of the losing players was named tournament MVP as Sergei Krayev took home the honors. Krayev scored an unbelievable 13 goals in six games, with at least two in each one. PHL scouts drooled at the thought of the dynamic center playing in the PHL. “That kid is scary good” said one scout. “If we could ever get him over to North America there’s no telling what he would be capable of.”

MedRound.png

USA, Great Britain, and West Germany all have new uniforms. I decided not to bother with a separate post about them.

2 people like this

Britain's and the US's are honestly the best. 

Burns played good. Hope he rests up because we are going deep this year!

1 person likes this

Another swell WHC!  Congrats to Canada again...the bidding war for Sergei Krayev will be intense!

And now we begin anticipating 1992's designs...namely these:

1. With the Soviet Union breaking up, what will Russia's uniforms look like?

2. Which other former SSRs will join the mix?

3. With the split of Czechoslovakia, what will the Czech Republic and Slovakia's uniforms look like? (Assuming both remain part?)

4. Finally, will reunified Germany retain the uniforms that West Germany did in their 1988 run?

Don't think much will change. 1992 was close enough to the breakup that they performed at both Summer and Winter Olympics as the "Unified Team". Czechoslovakia also was at the 1992 Winter Olympics. Slovakia and Russia both first appeared in the 94 Winter Olympics. Kazakhstan and Belarus come in 1998. I could see a postponing of the 1992 tournament, a cancelling of the tournament for 1992, or a reduction in teams for 1992.

On another note, why do I feel an Asymmetrical jersey is on it's way? 

I'm not really sure yet exactly what the 1992 WHC will look like. One idea I had was to replace the tournament for just one year with some kind of "Super Series", similar to the 1972 Summit Series between Canada and the Soviet Union, only this one would feature Canada vs USA. In all likelihood though, the tournament will just continue on as usual. The Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) did exist by August, 1992, so the Soviet team will probably play the tournament under that name (besides, their flag and emblem would look cool on a jersey). Czechoslovakia will appear one last time before the split. After that, beginning in 1996 the tournament may even expand to include ten teams. Slovakia would be included and Norway may even make a return for '96. After that the nineth and tenth team will probably have to qualify every four years.

As for uniforms, Canada will definitely have new unis in '92, obviously the Soviet team will look different, beyond that the other teams will probably stay mostly the same. 1996 will be a big year for uniforms. All participating countries will likely get a makeover of some kind. From that point on, there will probably be new uniforms for every country at each tournament. Personally, I think the WHC uniforms will be some of the most fun to create through the '90s and '00s as National teams have always seemed to be more experimental with their designs. 

1 person likes this

DAMN you Canada.     USA Should have tighten up.  Sucks they lost that game.

Those West Germany uniforms are making me flash back to the Dallas Metros. Same level of performance too.

i just read through the last several dozen pages of this thread for the first time in months.

and i'm heart broken dallas is gone :(:(:(

the choppers' cup is just salt in the wound.

4 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

i just read through the last several dozen pages of this thread for the first time in months.

and i'm heart broken dallas is gone :(:(:(

the choppers' cup is just salt in the wound.

Now you know how Minnesota North Stars fans feel!

1 person likes this

26 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:

Now you know how Minnesota North Stars fans feel!

it's odd, because i continued to be a fan of the houston oilers when they became the tennessee titans. just felt like the same team to me, despite the rebrand.

so in real life, i keep on' keepin' on... but in a thread i've read maybe 3 times in my entire life, on a message board, with fake teams, i'm heart-broken that dallas is gone, and harbor a strange hatred for the choppers.

i'm mentally ill.