hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: 1991 Off-Season

1,907 posts in this topic

Royale was intentional, the full name is supposed to be "Club de Hockey Royale" similar to the Montreal Canadiens full name.

1944-45:

1944-45_1.png

Standings:

1. Boston

2. Chicago

3. Montreal

4. Detroit

5. New York

6. Toronto

--------------

7. Hamilton

8. Philadelphia

Season Summary:

1944-45 begins with a league-wide dispersal draft for the now-defunct Windsor Wings. New York gets the first pick and selects star forward George Allen. Allen does not suit up for the Civics, however, as he is still at war. Despite this, the Civics return to the post-season on a 40-goal effort from Skippy Cleveland. A young Philadelphia club finishes last place with only 7 wins all season, while a demoralized Hamilton squad drops out of the playoffs after the devestating news the their star defenseman, Ben Ridley, had been killed in the war. In the playoffs, the format is changed to the same 6-team format used through the late 1930s. Boston and Chicago earn a first round bye and both take advantage as they meet in the finals. Boston defeats the Shamrocks in overtime of game 5, becoming the first team in league history to win three consecutive Lewis Cups.

Boston seems to be shaping up to be the PHL's Canadiens

Yes Boston is off to terrific start, becoming the league's first dynasty. Chicago looks pretty good too. Meanwhile it seems Philly can't catch a break. It will be very interesting to see how the institution of the draft affects these teams in the 1960s & 70s.

1 person likes this

Hey, hawkfan89, I hope you don't mind, but I too have been starting up a fictional hockey league that starts around the same time. I was about to post it, but then I saw your thread and just wanted to let you know that I'm not copying you at all. P.S. Great work so far!

No worries, I pretty much copied the Idea from a football league on here anyway. I look forward to seeing how yours turns out!

1945-46:

1945-46_6.png

Logo & Uniform Changes:

• Two expansion teams join the league, the Vancouver Bighorns, who make their debut wearing Maroon and orange uniforms, and the Buffalo Bulls, who wear red and green.
  • The Philadelphia Redshirts change their uniforms to a more modern look.

Standings:

1. Detroit
  2. New York
  3. Buffalo
  4. Hamilton
  5. Boston
  6. Toronto
  7. Montreal
  8. Chicago
  9. Philadelphia
  10. Vancouver

Season Summary:

The PHL's seventh season would see the league experiment with western expansion for the first time as the Vancouver Bighorns joined the league. A second franchise, the Buffalo Bulls also made their debut. 1945-46 would also see many star players return from the war including George Allen, who would finally make his debut with the New York Civics over a year after being claimed in the dispersal draft. Allen would team up with Skippy Cleveland and talented rookie Bernie Bassen to form the ABC line, leading the Civics to second place. The Detroit Mustangs, led by rookie Allan Keenan climbed to first place. But the real surprise was the expansion Buffalo, who finished in third place. The playoff format was changed once again to include eight teams and the final series was extended to a best of 7. New York continued their impressive run through the playoffs, reaching the finals for the first time in their history. The Boston Bulldogs continued their dominance, however, defeated the Civics in 7 games to take their fourth consecutive Lewis Cup.

Edmonton was still a very small city in the 1940's compared to New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, Buffalo and Boston... I'd go with Vancouver instead.

Actually I never thought of that but you're right, I think Vancouver might fit my storyline a bit better anyway. I'll work with that a little bit and maybe re post this season later today.

I also want to share the direction I have planned for this league as it's been in the works in my head for quite some time now. Let me just say I realize it's starting to get a little stale already, (the Bulldogs' dynasty doesn't really help, wasn't expecting that). Let's just say I can't wait to get out of the 1940s and into the 50s and 60s because it will start to get very interesting then. Here's a decade-by-decade breakdown of what I have planned, also keep in mind I have actual logos drawn up for many teams right up to this year, so this will happen.

1940s- the rest of the decade will play out pretty much the same, not many uniform changes, just basic season summaries.

1950s- This is where it will start to get interesting, this is the beginning of the "TV era". I plan on including much more detailed season summaries, including descriptions of classic games. Seasons will become much more visual, with graphics depicting what uniform each team wore during a game. Like it did with the NHL, television will impact the logo & uniforms of this league as well. Dark and White uniforms will be mandatory at some point, and you will see a fair bit of rebranding. I will also post full playoff trees in the same format as the classic games. Here's a sample using the 1946 Lewis Cup finals:

series%20sample.png

1960s- This will be the start of the "expansion era". there will be a mass expansion to the west at some point, although I'm not exactly sure how that will play out yet. Teams will start to experiment with more unusual uniforms at this point too.

1970s- More expansion and lots of uniform experiments (I've put some together already, spoiler alert; one of the current teams will have absolutely outrageous uniforms for a couple of seasons). This will also be the decade where helmets will appear as part of the template.

1980s- Some modern looks will start to emerge for many teams. There will be more experiments, I do have a "cooperalls template", which I can't wait to use. The end of the decade will see the beginning of the "black for black's sake" phenomenon, similar to when the LA Kings introduced it in the NHL.

1990s- I'll take experimentation to a whole new level here. lots of cartoon logos, lots of teal, lots of sublimated patterns and gradients replacing stripes, weird number fonts, and of course, third jerseys.

2000s- I will start toning things down in this decade. at the beginning there will be a heavy use of black and navy, and (something that I always hated in the NHL) some teams will use their former third jerseys as regular road jerseys, creating mismatched home/away. At the end of the decade, the retro trend will start to come in. I will be bringing back familiar looks for some teams that have changed.

2010s- The retro trend will continue early on, but starting around 2013 or so, teams will begin to experiment again. We've seen this in the NFL and the NBA, and we're just starting to see the beginning of it in the NHL, teams are shifting once again from retro to modern and even futuristic designs.

I suspect this whole project will take about a year to get caught up to now, but once it does, I'm considering setting up a simulation to do a full season and showing results from each game.

I updated the 1945-46 season, I decided to use Vancouver instead of Edmonton. I renamed them the Bighorns. I also updated the glove colour on the template. let me know what you guys think.

Just read the entire topic. I know nothing about hockey, but I'm excited for what's to come!

1 person likes this

Thanks! Who knows, maybe by the end of it you'll be a hockey fan!

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves there!

Here's 1946-47:

1946-47_3.png

Logo & Uniform Changes

• The league begins to pressure New York and Chicago to create white uniforms for contrast. New York complies, creating a plain white sweater for road games against Toronto, Detroit, and Hamilton.

Standings:

Canadian Division

• Hamilton
  • Buffalo
  • Toronto
  • Vancouver
  • Montreal

American Division

• Chicago
  • New York
  • Detroit
  • Boston
  • Philadelphia

Season Summary:

The biggest change at the beginning of the 1946-47 season occured when the league decided to create two divisions. Toronto, Montreal, Hamilton, Buffalo, and Vancouver formed the Canadian Division, while New York, Boston, Detroit, Philadelphia, amd Chicago formed the American Division. The Hamilton Kings entered the 1946-47 season aggressively seeking their first Lewis Cup. They traded 17-year veteran Johnny Williams to Buffalo for young star Frankie Jenkins. Jenkins led Hamilton in scoring with 38 goals as the Kings finished first overall with a 29-5-3-3 record. Meanwhile, in Buffalo, Johnny Williams provided veteran leadership for a young team, helping them to a fourth place finish. In their second season, Vancouver sqeezed into the playoffs despite a brutal traveling schedule. The Montreal Royale Missed the playoffs for the first time in their history with only 18 wins. Philadelphia finished in last place, but on-ice futility was the least of their worries. When Milt Stevenson decided to sell the Redshirts in the summer of 1946, he could not find a buyer. now he was listening to potential buyers from other cities, with Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Ottawa, and St. Louis showing interest. In the playoffs, Hamilton continued their magical season, defeating the Vancouver Bighorns and Toronto Racers before taking out the Boston Bulldogs in a thrilling 7 game final to claim their first Lewis Cup.

I really don't think a team in Vancouver makes any sense at the time. That's a long distance to travel for the East teams. I'd move them to Ottawa or Pittsburgh.

The Bighorns have had an awful time making ends meet with their travel schedule. Philly's situation has gotten much more publicity as they play in a larger market but the truth is, Vancouver is in big trouble as well. Stay tuned, 1947-48 and '48-49 are two of the most dramatic seasons yet off the ice for these two clubs.

Have been following this from the beginning! (Even though it has only been like 4 days) But I love the idea! Only thing that sucks is that I have grown to like the Bighorn and the Redshirt. Hopefully they make it through their struggles!

1 person likes this

Glad you're enjoying it so far! I will say that of Vancouver and Philly, one team will probably not survive into the '50s according to the storyline I have mapped out so far. However, I guarantee that both cities will have franchises by 2015. I should have 1947-48 posted sometime tonight, at that point I will be caught up and posting new seasons as I simulate them.

1 person likes this