hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: 1991 Off-Season

1,891 posts in this topic

Maybe go with a sort of Bright Scarlet, or Blood Red..for the accent?

I decided to postpone the Boston rebrand for another season or two, it just needs more work.

Here's 1952-53:

Season Summary:

The 1952-53 season was interesting for a variety of reasons ranging from the revival of a once dormant franchise to a very bizzare case of insubordination from another franchise. It all began when the league, in an attempt to improve it's television product, instituted a rule that all teams must wear white sweaters for road games. This of course meant that the league's lone one-sweater holdout, the Chicago Shamrocks, would need to introduce a new uniform. Team owner Fredrick Garfield refused at first, insisting "we wear green. period. If the league wants to fine us, we'll pay the fine." Garfield finally gave in when the TV network threatened to pull all Shamrocks games from it's broadcast schedule if they didn't comply, but he did so by introducing a plain white sweater with only the players' number on the back and the name "Chicago" on the front. In Philadelphia, after years of losing and uncertainty, the fans' patience finally paid off as their beloved Redshirts climbed to the top of the American Division standings on the strong play of sophomore Richie Moore, who scored 36 goals.

In the playoffs, The Redshirts faced the Shamrocks in a tough, 7-game series, where they had to come back from a 3-1 deficit. David Zimmer made a heroic 51-save performance in game 7, giving Philadelphia their first playoff series victory since joining the PHL thirteen years earlier. In the American Division final, the Redshirts shocked the defending champion Boston Bulldogs in 4 straight before facing the Hamilton Kings in the Lewis Cup finals. Hamilton had run away with first place in the Canadian Division before winning two 7-game series against Buffalo and Montreal en route to the final. The two teams traded victories through the first 6 games, setting up a game 7 for the ages. Philly winger Bobby Kelly opened the scoring in the first period before Ted Forbes tied it late in the third, sending it to overtime. The game remained scoreless through two extra periods as both David Zimmer and Fred Lukas stood on their heads in net before Hamilton's Frankie Jenkins finally scored late in the second OT, giving Hamilton it's second Lewis Cup and breaking the hearts of the Redshirts fans who thought for sure that this was their year.

1952-53.png

Logo & Uniform Changes:

• Hamilton makes some slight changes to their uniforms
  • The Chicago Shamrocks are forced to introduce new white sweaters as part of a league-wide rule that road teams must wear white uniforms.

Standings:

Canadian Division

1. Hamilton
  2. Montreal
  3. Quebec
  4. Hamilton
  5. Toronto

American Division

1. Philadelphia
  2. Boston
  3. New York
  4. Chicago
  5. Detroit

Classic Games:

53%20classics.png

Playoff Tree:

53.png

53champs.png

I love Chicago's plain white sweater and the story behind it.

1 person likes this

Even though it probably won't last long, that sweater will be legendary for a long time. By the late 00s-early 10s it will be one of the coolest retro jerseys in the league.

1 person likes this

I'd buy one. And I'm definitely a Chicago fan now. I can get behind that kind of organizational defiance.

What happened Boston, how did you drop 4 straight to Philly (No Offense to the Redshirts)

Took my time to see it carefully, and I think this is an good work that still can improve a lot.

I think a correction for Montreal Jersey Name is urgently needed. "Les Royale" look strange for me. To my knowledge, there are no articles in English in the plural (the THE works for all), but in Latin languages, such as French, singular and plural have different articles. LES is plural indicator, but Royale is a singular word. The most correct thing LE [Club de Hockey] ROYALE or LES ROYALES (Article agreeing with the noun).

Have you thought about a White Bell to Redshirts red uniform? Or at least a white stroke? It's hard to see, IMO.

I'd buy one. And I'm definitely a Chicago fan now. I can get behind that kind of organizational defiance.

If you're into organizational defiance, you'll enjoy the Shamrocks, especially during the Fred Garfield era, the guy is crazy.

What happened Boston, how did you drop 4 straight to Philly (No Offense to the Redshirts)

Yeah that's how most of Boston is feeling right now, Philly's emergence was a surprise to everyone. Now that both teams are strong, well, lets just say you'll learn to hate the Redshirts very soon. I plan to really try to grow this rivalry.

Took my time to see it carefully, and I think this is an good work that still can improve a lot.

I think a correction for Montreal Jersey Name is urgently needed. "Les Royale" look strange for me. To my knowledge, there are no articles in English in the plural (the THE works for all), but in Latin languages, such as French, singular and plural have different articles. LES is plural indicator, but Royale is a singular word. The most correct thing LE [Club de Hockey] ROYALE or LES ROYALES (Article agreeing with the noun).

Have you thought about a White Bell to Redshirts red uniform? Or at least a white stroke? It's hard to see, IMO.

Thanks for your input. As you are correct, Montreal will have slightly tweaked uniforms in time for '53-54. As for Philly, there is a white stroke with the blue one, it's just hard to see when it's zoomed out, I'll make it a little bigger. I never thought about a white bell but I'll play with that as well.

Next up will be the new Bulldogs logo & uniforms, after that I hope to have the next season up by week's end.

The Boston Bulldogs are the next team to introduce a new look. As always c&c is appreciated.

Boston.png

Boston%20U.png

1 person likes this

Boston is nice and conservative, their look shouldn't be too modern since they have an early dynasty. Perhaps something later could include dog collar with a number of spikes representing their champions

I agree, I didn't want to change too much because of this team's success, it's really just their classic look, modernized for the '50s. That's a great idea for the collar, I already have a full lineage planned for the primary and secondary logos but that could really work for an anniversary patch or something. Thanks for the input!

The new Boston logo is really nice. The eyes just seem to stand out and draw attention away from the other great parts of the logo IMO

Here's 1953-54, I've decided to scale back the classic games to three for now, eight was just too much. I will probably increase it again as the league expands.

1953-54.png

Logo & Uniform Changes:

• Boston reveals a new look, enlarging the logo and removing the text above the logo.
  • For greater contrast, the Philadelphia Redshirts make the bell on the red sweater white.

The 1953-54 season saw a lot of changes in the PHL, specifically coaching changes. No less than three teams hired new coaches in the summer of 1953. Detroit hired their former star winger Johnny Chadwick, while Toronto hired former defenseman Ed Carpenter. Perhaps the most surprising hiring, however, was when the New York Civics hired former Hamilton Kings star Gilbert Wriggley for his first coaching job. Wriggley was known as a hot-tempered player and many wondered how his fiery personality would fit in with the Civics, a team built on skill and speed. But the bigger question was how would he get along with Civics superstar George Allen, a player he had had a falling out with when the two played together for the Windsor Wings a decade earlier. Immediately, tension arose between the two. Things came to a head in a December game in Montreal when Allen attacked his coach behind the bench after a lengthy verbal confrontation. Civics owner Harold Donovan suspended Allen for the remainder of the season and threatened similar treatment to anyone who followed his lead. Allan vowed he would never play for the Civics again while the team plummeted to last place. In Chicago, 69-year-old head coach Arthur Walsh anounced in January that this would be his last season after 18 years behind the Chicago bench. The Shamrocks finished a dissapointing 30-24-6 in the regular season but avoided missing the playoffs with an 8-game winning streak after Walshes anouncement. Under new coach Johnny Chadwick's leadership, the Detroit Mustangs improved to third place in the American Division, returning to the Lewis Cup playoffs.

Chicago's magic continued into the playoffs as they upset Boston in the first round in 5 games before sweeping Philadelphia to reach the finals. Quebec managed to win their first-ever playoff series with a 7-game upset over Buffalo, but would lose in the Canadian Division final to Hamilton in 6, giving the Kings their second straight berth in the finals. For Arthur Walsh, it was almost a storybook ending to a great coaching career. Almost. The Shamrocks won the first two games of the final, but lost the next four in a row as the Hamilton Kings repeated as Lewis Cup Champions.

Standings:

Canadian Division

1. Hamilton
  2. Buffalo
  3. Quebec
  4. Montreal
  5. Toronto

American Division

1. Boston
  2. Philadelphia
  3. Detroit
  4. Chicago
  5. New York

Playoff Tree:

54.png

Classic Games:

classics_1.png

champs.png

1954-55:

Season Summary:

In the summer of 1954, one big question loomed over the PHL, what sweater would superstar George Allen be wearing when the 1954-55 season began. Allen, who to date was arguably the greatest player in PHL history, had refused to ever play another game for the New York Civics after an ugly feud with Civics owner Harold Donovan. On June 14, 1954, Donovan pulled the trigger on what would go down as one of the most famous trades in league history, dealing Allen to Detroit for veteran Louis Gilbert and rookie goalie Harry Willis. with the addition of Allen, the Mustangs suddenly became a legitimate contender in the American Division, winning 51 games. The biggest turnaround, however, was in Toronto, as super rookie David Stairs helped lift the Racers from the basement to second place in the Canadian Division. In Boston, the Bulldogs finally said goodbye to longtime goaltender Max Marchand, sending him to Montreal. Rookie Glen Stevenson did an admirable job in net, preventing the Bulldogs from missing the playoffs.

The playoffs began with a very spirited 7-game series between the Hamilton Kings and the Quebec Nationale. The Kings bounced back from a 3-1 defecit to defeat the Nationale in seven games, after what proved to be an ugly game 6 that saw multiple fights and over 250 penalty minutes handed out. Hamilton would go on to defeat Toronto in a 7-game battle of Ontario to reach the finals for a third straight season. In the American Division, Chicago lost the first game against New York, but then rolled over them before defeating Boston to face Hamilton once again in the Lewis Cup finals. The Lewis Cup proved to be a close series, with teams alternating wins right up to game 7, where Johnny Garfield's hat-trick gave the Chicago Shamrocks their fourth Lewis Cup.

Standings:

Canadian Division

1. Hamilton
  2. Toronto
  3. Buffalo
  4. Quebec
  5. Montreal

American Division

1. Chicago
  2. Detroit
  3. Boston
  4. New York
  5. Philadelphia

Logo & Uniform changes:

• Chicago updates their white sweater to match their green with a slightly different logo as well as "Chicago" written above the logo.

1954-55.png

Classic Games:

55classics.png

Playoff Tree:

55playoffs.png

55champs.png

just came across this thread and it is very cool and I the jerseys perfectly fit the time period. Keep up the good work

just came across this thread and it is very cool and I the jerseys perfectly fit the time period. Keep up the good work

Thanks! Stay tuned, it will get interesting.

I can't wait to see how interesting it gets!. Just a question, when will the next expansion be?

I can't wait to see how interesting it gets!. Just a question, when will the next expansion be?

To be honest, it might be a little slow for the next 5 seasons, that's why I'm planning to sim and post them rather quickly, but it'll be worth it because I do have fairly big plans for the 60s. As for expansion, the league is looking to add two more teams by decade's end. Most likely two more eastern Canadian teams to balance the divisions so Buffalo can play in the American Division. The league is still resisting western expansion due to travel costs. Many western cities are pushing for franchises however and there have even been rumours of a rival league starting up if the PHL continues to ignore them.