hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: 1992 World Hockey Challenge

2,023 posts in this topic

Son of a!!! *flips table*

1 person likes this

Jesus Christ, I literally rolled my eyes when the Choppers won. End them, Montreal.

At least we beat those Bulldogs. 

1 person likes this

LCF2.png.3f0d84d509376c2b074a44e929752331.pngThe 1992 Lewis Cup Finals would pit the Milwaukee Choppers, in search of their third championship in five seasons, against the Montreal Royale, a team in search of their first since 1968. Game one in Montreal was dominated by the home team, as Vincent Ducharme’s three-point night helped the Royale to a 6-3 victory. Game two would be much closer, as the lead went back-and-forth until the game went into overtime. 20 seconds into the extra frame, Travis Curry nearly ended it for the Choppers but Victor Malmsten made a brilliant save to preserve the tie. Near the end of the first overtime, Evan Flowers hit Trevor Ramsey with a long pass, springing Ramsey on a breakaway. Ramsey beat Scott Daffney top shelf to win the game for Montreal and give them a 2-0 series lead.

Heading home for games three and four, the Choppers were full of confidence. The front page of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal the morning of game three featured a quote from Pete Holloway, guaranteeing a series win. Game three would be another overtime epic, as the teams skated to a 2-2 deadlock after regulation. Veteran goalies Malmsten and Daffney both played spectacular in net as one overtime turned into two. Midway through the second overtime, Holloway would put his bold words into action, beating Malmsten for the game winner to bring the series to 2-1. Game four would be a huge game for both teams. Milwaukee knew a Montreal victory would mean a chance for them to win the Cup on home ice two nights later. Bruce Gratton opened the scoring before Joe Pickard increased the lead to 2-0. It appeared the Choppers were in command. Suddenly JC Girard scored just seconds after Pickard to bring the score within one. Early in the second period, Terry Hawkins was called for tripping, giving the Royale a powerplay. Just 23 seconds into the man advantage Sylvain Landry tied the score. Milwaukee regained the lead late in the second period when Olivier Meloche’s blast from the point found its way past Malmsten. The Royale pressed hard for the tying goal throughout the third period but simply could not solve Scott Daffney. Finally, their persistence paid off when Ducharme found Trevor Ramsey in the slot, who scored to tie the game at 3-3. As the clock wound down, Milwaukee made a last-minute push to win in regulation. With only 34 seconds left, defenseman Ray Decker’s point shot was blocked by Hannes Rhenquist. The puck deflected out to Sergei Vetrov, who found himself on a breakaway. Vetrov beat Daffney five-hole and Montreal had the lead with 25 seconds remaining. The Royale would hang on and return home just one win away from the Lewis Cup.

Back in Montreal, the entire city was ready to explode. Montreal had long been one of the most passionate and faithful fan basses in the league and had waited 24 long years to see their beloved Royale take home a championship. Game five was all Montreal from the get-go. Ramsey scored early, followed by Ducharme before Vetrov made it 3-0 home team. Milwaukee knew they were in trouble. After the third Royale goal, The Choppers adjusted their lines, which seemed to work as Travis Curry scored early in the second period on a beautiful pass from Joe Pickard. Only two minutes later, however, Ducharme scored what would be the eventual winner as the Royale ultimately won 5-3 to claim the third Lewis Cup in franchise history and the first in the Vincent Ducharme/Don Shelburne era. When asked if he regretted “the guarantee” back in game three, Pete Holloway said he did not. “I made a statement to try to spark our team” said Holloway. “I thought we responded well initially, we just couldn’t finish the job.” For Montreal native Ducharme, the win was a dream come true. “This is the greatest feeling I’ve ever had playing the game, especially to do it here in front of my family, with the team I grew up watching, I can’t even begin to describe it.”

LCF.thumb.png.a7660080076737f8a471d7d74a6fb7cc.png
2 people like this

Congrats to Le Royale...you needed this moment!

Hey, my Chops are gonna be back and win it again soon, right?

Would it be possible for you to make a signature for the Bulldogs? 

8 hours ago, AndesMts27 said:

Would it be possible for you to make a signature for the Bulldogs? 

Absolutely! anything specific?

THE WAIT IS OVER!!!

What a big series for Montreal! One full year suffering and hell I don't regret anything! The sky is clear and the future is bright

Now, where's my victory beer!

1 person likes this

Nuggets & Bulls Unveil New Logos, Uniforms

Two teams will have new looks when the 1992-93 season gets underway. The California Nuggets and Denver Bulls have both completely revamped their identities with new logos, color schemes, and uniforms.

The Nuggets were the first team to unveil their new look in a press conference on June 15. The primary logo features the word "Nuggets" above a pickaxe and a gold nugget below all superimposed over a distorted triangle in the new team colors of black, teal, and metallic gold. The home uniforms are white trimmed in black, teal, and gold, while the road uniforms are black trimmed in teal and gold. Team owners Neil Gantt and Bill Pike both wanted to reinvent the Nugget's identity after taking over the club in 1990. "Our team is entering an exciting new era and I think this new look represents that" said Gantt. "We of course appreciate the classic look with the blue and the red but this is an opportunity to focus on the future of our franchise."

CaliLogos.thumb.png.9e976c6c588539b02a0a17a87e40753b.png  

CaliUnis.thumb.png.8b0a5b4d6b11964d3d28990a4c0405e1.png

Less than a week later, the Denver Bulls were the second team of the summer to unveil a new identity. The Bulls new primary logo now features the snarling head of a bull placed over a stylized letter "D" in the new color scheme of navy, gold, and red, a slight tribute to the Colorado state colors. The secondary logo features a mountain with a speeding puck in front, also stylized as a tribute to the state flag. The uniforms will be white at home and navy on the road both trimmed in gold and red. The new look further distances the team from it's Buffalo days just over 20 years after relocating from Western New York. "As we prepare for our big move into the new building a year from now, we really wanted to take that next step to truly make this 'Denver's team'. I believe this new look really connects the franchise to the city of Denver and the state of Colorado" said team owner Mark Kirkpatrick. 

DenLogos.thumb.png.eb6030d484f6d8b9562a13347ace1995.png

DenUnis.thumb.png.9e57333ab0ebd054e2b882baaba58a5a.png

At the 1992 PHL draft, a spokesperson from SporTech, the official supplier of PHL uniforms, suggested that several more PHL clubs are considering making "significant changes" to their identities over the next few seasons. Pittsburgh, Calgary, and Long Island in particular are rumored to be looking into making changes in the near future, possibly as early as the 1993-94 season.

4 people like this

Originally I thought that the Bulls and Nuggets new schemes were similar, but then I realized the former's main color was navy, not black. As for the Nuggets, I don't know, their new look's too similar to the Twisters in my book. Logo and color scheme both included.

Long Island rebranding? I dont know. I've always liked the orange and blue. Could go for an updated logo though.

These. Are. AMAZING. However, my only nitpick about these is the Nuggets number font. Other than that, they're great.

Serious San Jose Sharks fibes from the nugs, but it's really good

Wow California going full-90s! Looks similar to KC but it's nice.

Denver looks great, those are uniforms that could stick around for a while.

10 hours ago, hawkfan89 said:

Absolutely! anything specific?

Could it have the years of their Lewis Cup Championships somewhere on there?

4 hours ago, hawkfan89 said:

Nuggets & Bulls Unveil New Logos, Uniforms

Two teams will have new looks when the 1992-93 season gets underway. The California Nuggets and Denver Bulls have both completely revamped their identities with new logos, color schemes, and uniforms.

The Nuggets were the first team to unveil their new look in a press conference on June 15. The primary logo features the word "Nuggets" above a pickaxe and a gold nugget below all superimposed over a distorted triangle in the new team colors of black, teal, and metallic gold. The home uniforms are white trimmed in black, teal, and gold, while the road uniforms are black trimmed in teal and gold. Team owners Neil Gantt and Bill Pike both wanted to reinvent the Nugget's identity after taking over the club in 1990. "Our team is entering an exciting new era and I think this new look represents that" said Gantt. "We of course appreciate the classic look with the blue and the red but this is an opportunity to focus on the future of our franchise."

CaliLogos.thumb.png.9e976c6c588539b02a0a17a87e40753b.png  

CaliUnis.thumb.png.8b0a5b4d6b11964d3d28990a4c0405e1.png

Less than a week later, the Denver Bulls were the second team of the summer to unveil a new identity. The Bulls new primary logo now features the snarling head of a bull placed over a stylized letter "D" in the new color scheme of navy, gold, and red, a slight tribute to the Colorado state colors. The secondary logo features a mountain with a speeding puck in front, also stylized as a tribute to the state flag. The uniforms will be white at home and navy on the road both trimmed in gold and red. The new look further distances the team from it's Buffalo days just over 20 years after relocating from Western New York. "As we prepare for our big move into the new building a year from now, we really wanted to take that next step to truly make this 'Denver's team'. I believe this new look really connects the franchise to the city of Denver and the state of Colorado" said team owner Mark Kirkpatrick. 

DenLogos.thumb.png.eb6030d484f6d8b9562a13347ace1995.png

DenUnis.thumb.png.9e57333ab0ebd054e2b882baaba58a5a.png

At the 1992 PHL draft, a spokesperson from SporTech, the official supplier of PHL uniforms, suggested that several more PHL clubs are considering making "significant changes" to their identities over the next few seasons. Pittsburgh, Calgary, and Long Island in particular are rumored to be looking into making changes in the near future, possibly as early as the 1993-94 season.

These both look awesome!! Keep up the good work!

Oh my, these are 90's-tastic. I absolutely LOVE what you did with the Nuggets.

I can't wait to see what team goes all-out with the other 90s color of choice--purple.

I feel like it'll only be the Concordes logo getting an overhaul also I'm going to guess a third jersey program will get underway soon

23 minutes ago, New York's Greatest said:

I feel like it'll only be the Concordes logo getting an overhaul also I'm going to guess a third jersey program will get underway soon

Or we could get something like the Gorton's fisherman but as a pilot?

16 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Or we could get something like the Gorton's fisherman but as a pilot?

Yeah I was slightly alluding to the Gorton's Fishermen one. But I think they'll come out with something like that make Orange the primary color for the dark jersey and relegate the currents blues to an alternate....OOOOORRRRR They use the same jersey maybe add silver or green (just a 90's color guess/as fauxback color to the Currently Defunct Long Island Sounders of the 1900's) place the new logo on the home and aways and relegate the current one to a "Fresh" 1990s style alternate which I guess will go down in either Infamy like the Kings Burger King alts and the Canuck red and black gradient alt or be beloved like the Rangers Statue of Liberty alt (I hope it's the latter)