hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: 1993 Lewis Cup Finals

2,080 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, New York's Greatest said:

...really concordes...

The Dogs can still have some bite

Maybe back to back for Milwaukee? Pretty good chances against Phillie

Well I mean c'mon Long Island. Maybe the pressure to win was too much. Maybe they should sack up and win anyways.

5 hours ago, generalshepherd141 said:

Philly is gonna get their first cup

Pretty sure they've won before.

18 hours ago, Darknes said:

The Dogs can still have some bite

So apparently you can teach an old dog new tricks...just wish it didn't happen against the concordes

When will the Miami and KC Expansion Draft be held and where? Because I think it would be awesome to see a special logo for that occasion. Also of interest would be the expansion draft rules, who the old teams protect and who Miami and KC select.

Here's some examples of the expansion draft boards if these help...

ExpansionDraft-1993-16_slide.jpg

cut.jpg

CAL2000062303.jpg

1989 Lewis Cup Finals

http://phlnetwork.blogspot.ca/

The 1989 Lewis Cup Finals pitted the Philadelphia Redshirts, still in search of their first Lewis Cup, against the defending champion Milwaukee Choppers. Game one in Milwaukee was a tight one, as the teams were deadlocked 2-2 halfway through the second period. With just 20 seconds to go in the second, Travis Curry broke the tie, giving the Choppers a 3-2 lead. Scott Daffney stole the show in the third period as Milwaukee drew first blood with a 3-2 win. In game two, Philadelphia responded with a 4-2 win thanks to a big third period goal from veteran Bobby Ford to break another 2-2 tie. Heading home to Philadelphia for game three, the Redshirts were a very confident team, having stolen home ice advantage. Once again, the two teams were tied 2-2, except this time the game would go to overtime. Milwaukee had several golden opportunities, but Antero Parvainen came up big for the Redshirts, forcing the game to a second OT, where Etienne St. Laurent beat Daffney to give Philly a 3-2 win and a 2-1 series lead. Game four would also go to overtime, with the teams knotted 3-3. This time, Daffney was spectacular, stopping 17 shots in OT. Parvainen also came up big, until Choppers tough guy Shayne Boggs jammed in a rebound to win the game for Milwaukee and tie the series. Back in Milwaukee for a pivotal game five, the Choppers felt good about their chances despite being outplayed all series by the Redshirts. “We’re winning games we really don’t deserve to win. We just need to find a way to keep pressuring them and hope the results will keep coming” said Choppers captain Bruce Gratton.

Game five wasn’t even close. Milwaukee came flying out of the gate, peppering Parvainen with shot after shot. By the end of the first period, the score was 4-0 and Philly chose to pull Parvainen in favour of backup Darren Beauport. Beauport actually played quite well in his first-ever playoff action, while Magnus Swedberg and Stuart Holly each scored to put the Redshirts on the board, but it was too little too late. Gratton added a fifth goal to make it 5-2, sealing the game and giving Milwaukee an opportunity to defend their title at the PhillyDome in game six. Game six was another tight contest. Philadelphia scored first on a brilliant end-to-end rush from Swedberg before Milwaukee responded with two quick ones to steal the lead. Early in the second period, Swedberg scored his second of the game to tie it. Just minutes later, Gary Johnson’s point shot gave Philly their second lead of the game, which held until the third period. Just three minutes into the third, Terry Hawkins scored a big goal for the Choppers to tie the game at 3-3. The sellout crowd at the PhillyDome chanted “We Want the Cup!” as the Redshirts pushed hard for the go-ahead goal. With just two minutes to go, Scott Daffney made a brilliant save on Bobby Ford. Milwaukee defenseman Olivier Meloche cleared the puck and hit Travis Curry with a brilliant pass, springing him on a break. Curry faked out Parvainen and beat him top corner. Milwaukee now led the game 4-3 and stood just under two minutes away from their second straight Lewis Cup. Mike Fleming sealed the game with the empty netter just 20 seconds later and the Milwaukee Choppers went on to celebrate their second straight Lewis Cup title. “This is unbelievable” said Choppers captain Bruce Gratton. “I started with this team in their second year in Dallas, I was here for the move, there were some tough years here. To be able to do this two years in a row now is just unreal.”

For Philadelphia, the loss was beyond disappointing, as the drought continued for the PHL’s only remaining original franchise without a Lewis Cup. “I don’t know what else to say, we had the heart, we had the determination, we just couldn’t finish it off” said Gary Johnson. As for legend Stuart Holly, he would not comment on his future or whether or not this was the end of his career. “I’ll have to make that decision this summer” said Holly.

LCF.png

2 people like this

From the basement to the penthouse! I can imagine Choppers gear being a very hot seller not just in Milwaukee but around the nation...

WE BACK-TO-BACK!
MY MILWAUKEE CHOPPERS MADE IT BACK-TO BACK!

WE BACK-TO-BACK!

MY MILWAUKEE CHOPPERS MADE IT BACK-TO-BACK!

Once again, I am absolutely ELATED...the first two seasons played during my lifetime (I was born June 6, 1987) are both Choppers Lewis Cup victories! 

Bring on MIA's logo/unis, the realignment...and my Chops' three-peat!

11 hours ago, Raymie said:

From the basement to the penthouse! I can imagine Choppers gear being a very hot seller not just in Milwaukee but around the nation...

Choppers gear is probably the best-selling merch in the league right now. The logo was very popular with fans when it was unveiled, so combined with back-to-back championships, everyone wants a Chops jersey/hat/t-shirt right now in the PHL universe

6 hours ago, MBurmy said:

WE BACK-TO-BACK!
MY MILWAUKEE CHOPPERS MADE IT BACK-TO BACK!

WE BACK-TO-BACK!

MY MILWAUKEE CHOPPERS MADE IT BACK-TO-BACK!

Once again, I am absolutely ELATED...the first two seasons played during my lifetime (I was born June 6, 1987) are both Choppers Lewis Cup victories! 

Bring on MIA's logo/unis, the realignment...and my Chops' three-peat!

Miami is basically done, just finishing up the shoulder patch logo. To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about it, it feels slightly ahead of it's time, but only by about 3-4 years and since Miami is a very unique hockey market, I think I'm actually OK with that. I think I'll go ahead with it and just see how everyone else feels about it. If it's generally liked I'll just go with it.

Milwaukee back to back!

Miami Stingrays Unveil Logo, Uniforms

http://phlnetwork.blogspot.ca/

Just one week after the Lewis Cup Finals ended, the expansion Miami Stingrays unveiled their much-anticipated logo and uniforms. The logo features a black stingray dribbling a puck superimposed on a triangle in the team colors of Teal, Black, and "Hot Pink". The secondary logo, which will be worn on the shoulders, is an simple orange/pink sun. The uniforms are some of the most unusual uniforms seen in the PHL. The road jerseys will be Teal, trimmed in Pink, Black, White, and Silver, with the home whites simply swapping the Teal with White. The uniforms also feature a very unusual font for the numbers and names, similar to the font used in the team's wordmark.

Miami.png

"We are very excited to finally reveal our club's identity" said owner Hector Cruz. "The uniform is very unique, but we are not like the other teams, we wanted a unique look." GM/Head Coach David Zimmer admitted the look needed to grow on him a bit, but was excited nonetheless. "It's definitely very different, but I think it fits Miami well" said Zimmer. "It'll look even better someday with the Lewis Cup raised above it." 

Despite receiving mixed reviews from PHL players and fans around the league, the look proved to be a huge hit with locals, quickly outselling expansion cousin Kansas City in merchandise, and even mounting a serious challenge to the Lewis Cup champion Milwaukee Choppers, currently the top team in the league in merchandise sales.

The expansion draft for both the Stingrays and Twisters will be held June 7, 1989.
9 people like this

Haven't looked at this thread in a long while, but I want to say you knocked it out of the park with Miami. The logos and unis fit the upcoming decade perfectly. If I had one nitpick it would be that the orange should be somewhere on the unis, but I think it would good either way. When/If the team rebrands, what would be expected? Would they go neon and make black the primary?

Im getting a San Jose Sharks vibe from the Stingrays. I love it. 

I'm getting a San Jose vibe and I love it! And the jerseys are unique enough so that it doesn't feel like it's too much SJ. In a decade when the alternate starts to appear I can see them wearing an all-out Hot Pink uniform (especially in October)

Miami reminds me of a mix of San Jose and Corpus Christi from the CHL. But that warrants this a:

IMG_1379.GIF

Love it. Stingray design looks great, uniforms are even better