hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: 1993 Playoffs

2,073 posts in this topic

I don't know if its been sugested yet but, Cleveland Lakers, Dallas Lone stars. I liked the Vultures idea too.

On 5/10/2017 at 5:33 PM, RightGuard said:

Thanks for the info, man. Do you think you could provide two-color updates whenever a team gets a new look (not for every one, though)? Also, in regards to Cleveland and Dallas getting expansions, how will that affect the divisional alignment?

I'll try to provide that for you as we go, Just remind me with each one. Generally you can just go by whatever colours appear to be the most dominant on the uniform. As for the alignment, the east will be pretty simple, Cleveland will simply be inserted into the Northeast Division. I haven't yet decided what to do for Dallas. I think they'll play in the Central and either Denver or Winnipeg will move to the Pacific. I believe Denver is the westernmost team currently in the Central, but Winnipeg could work too with all the other western Canadian teams playing in the Pacific.

Thanks everyone for the name suggestions! Basically the way I'll do it for Cleveland is I'll pick three names and put them in a poll. The Poll will be hosted on the blog since I don't believe polls are permitted on the concepts boards. The name with the most votes wins. Here's some basic guidelines for any further names;

- Names of real-life NHL teams that lasted longer than ten years, or existed beyond 1960 will not be used (names of early franchises like the Tigers, Americans, Pirates, etc are acceptable).

- Names of current or recent NBA teams will not be used.

Honestly, this is a pretty casual process. Until the polls it's not really based on votes. I'll be deciding the top three based mostly on what kind of logos I could come up with for them. For Dallas, the process is even less formal, i'll be looking more for suggestions than actually holding any sort of competition. I've actually already started working on a possible logo featuring a cow skull but I'm not really sure what to name it. The idea I initially had was "Renegades" but I'd like to see what you guys have in mind too.

Next up will be the 1992 World Hockey Challenge, which is being simulated now. Thanks guys!

Cleveland Cosmos or something else to do with space because 90's was a confusing time

Dallas Patriots or something patriotic because MURICA and Texas

A cow skull? What about Dallas Desparados or Dallas Steer? Can't wait to vote for Cleveland

2 hours ago, Cardinal said:

I don't know if its been sugested yet but, Cleveland Lakers, Dallas Lone stars. I liked the Vultures idea too.

Yeah, calling a team that will not go over well in Texas itself, becuase they're purists as to what a "Lone Star" really is (it shouldn't be pluralized because if it's more than one, it's not a "Lone" Star)

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Cardinal said:

I like the Vultures idea as well. A barbecue-themed name would also work, something like Smokers. As for Cleveland, Lakers would've been a good name, but NBA nicknames are allowed, so I'd go with something rock 'n' roll-themed like Guitars or Headbangers.

3 hours ago, hawkfan89 said:

I'll try to provide that for you as we go, Just remind me with each one. Generally you can just go by whatever colours appear to be the most dominant on the uniform. As for the alignment, the east will be pretty simple, Cleveland will simply be inserted into the Northeast Division. I haven't yet decided what to do for Dallas. I think they'll play in the Central and either Denver or Winnipeg will move to the Pacific. I believe Denver is the westernmost team currently in the Central, but Winnipeg could work too with all the other western Canadian teams playing in the Pacific.

Have Denver move to the Pacific. While it would be convenient for the Pioneers to play the western Canadian teams, it'd also be a pain to have to travel to California every season to play the Nuggets and especially the Wizards.

As I previously mentioned:

(Bolded names are my favorites. Italicsized are others I'm fond of)

Dallas: Dallas Freedom, Texas Independents, Texas/Dallas Blades, and a new one The Lone Star Oil Kings/Barons

Cleveland: Cleveland Cosmos, Ohio Astros, Ohio/Cleveland ApollosOhio/Cleveland 68th/68's, and one more new one the Ohio/Cleveland Battalion

1992 World Hockey Challenge

WHC1992.thumb.png.dc144653045aaf4053e7b28f281c20a5.png

After several changes to the political landscape, the 1992 World Hockey Challenge had a very different look from previous tournaments. With the Soviet Union having broken up, the team would now compete as the Commonwealth of Independent States, while a unified German team would compete for the first time. The Germans would not fare much better, however, losing all three of their Round Robin games. With ongoing political uncertainty in the former Soviet Union, the CIS team was unable to recruit a few of their star players. Vladimir Gaganov declined the opportunity to return to the National team, while Sergei Krayev and Alexander Orlov also declined to play. Wanting to help his chances of making the PHL in his rookie season, 18-year-old Igor Zharkov did commit to playing in the Tournament and would be heavily counted on to lead the Russian attack. The team predictably looked strong against Great Britain, defeating them 7-1 with Zharkov scoring two goals. In their second game against Finland, Zharkov’s goal early on gave CIS a 1-0 lead, before Jari Pukki rushed the puck up the ice and tied the game. Antero Parvainen played incredibly throughout the rest of the game as did CIS goaltender Alexei Teryoshin in what turned out to be a 1-1 tie. Facing the Americans in the final game of the Round Robin, the CIS team needed a win, while Team USA was looking to complete a perfect record heading into the Medal Round. The Americans, backstopped by brilliant goaltending from Ron Buckner, had yet to allow a goal in the tournament, while Jason Crowley had three goals in the first two games. The Americans got off to a strong start with goals coming from Craig Davidson and Matt Pope. Dimitri Kronin brought CIS within a goal and Teryoshin held the team in the game until goals from Crowley and Craig Bush put the game out of reach as the Americans took first place in Group B.

In group A, Team Canada once again dominated the rest of the field. Vincent Ducharme led the tournament in scoring with eight goals in three games, including hat-tricks against Germany and Czechoslovakia. Only Sweden gave the Canadians any considerable resistance in their second game, holding them to a 2-2 tie until Stuart Burns scored early in the third period, ultimately giving Canada the win. A 5-1 win over the Czechs in their final game secured top spot in Group A, while Sweden managed to salvage a second-place finish after a surprisingly tough battle with Germany.

Standings92.thumb.png.78b6c7f1f5d31c772270cd736db8a17a.png

In the Medal Round, Canada continued their dominance against Great Britain, jumping ahead to a 5-0 lead. In the third period, a goal from Harry Hayes put the British on the board, before Brett Caldwell’s point shot brought them within three goals. Finally, Hayes hit the post with three minutes left. Brent MacDonald was forced to make a few big stops during the last two and a half minutes but the Canadians held on for the win. In one of the other Quarterfinal matchups, Finland met Sweden in an all-Scandinavian battle. The teams were tied 3-3 after regulation as the game headed to overtime. Just minutes into the extra frame, Swedish forward Tomas Axelsson had a big opportunity at the side of the net, but Parvainen was able to get across the crease in time to make the stop. With the game still tied after overtime, a shootout would commence. After each team had shot three times, the shootout remained scoreless. Roni Laukanen was up next for Finland and made no mistake, beating Victor Malmsten to give the Fins the lead. Ulf Linden tied it, meaning if Malmsten could stop the next shot, the Swedes would have a chance to win. Pasi Villanen shot next for Finland, beating Malmsten to give Finland the lead again and Antero Parvainen a chance to win the game. Magnus Swedberg would shoot next for Sweden. Swedberg attempted to deke his Philadelphia teammate, but Parvainen was a step ahead of him, stopping him with his glove. Finland was moving on to the Semifinals. In Group B, The Americans routed Germany 11-1, while Czechoslovakia defeated the CIS team 4-2. The Americans and Czechs were tied 3-3 in the dying minutes of the game, when Gary Johnson, playing competitive hockey for the final time, broke the tie with a point shot that found its way to the net. Craig Bush sealed the win with an empty net goal to send the Americans to the final game for the first time. Canada defeated Finland 4-1 in the other semifinal to set up a North American showdown for the World Challenge Cup.

In the championship game, 23,100 packed into the CanaDome in Winnipeg to see hockey’s two superpowers face off for the world title. David Appleby opened the scoring for Canada, then Jonathan Stafford made it 2-0. The Americans needed a boost, so coach Gary Shantz called a timeout. It seemed to work as Team USA began to apply the pressure. MacDonald made several big saves until finally, early in the third period, Stuart Burns put USA on the board. Minutes later, Jason Crowley tied the game with a hard wrist shot from the high slot. The pressure was now on Canada. Late in the third period, Adam Lawless nearly gave the Canadians another lead but was stopped cold by Ron Buckner. The game went into overtime where just eleven seconds in, Tommy McGuire beat MacDonald to complete the comeback and give the United States their first-ever world title. Jason Crowley was named tournament MVP, while Gary Johnson, who previously had never won any kind of league or world title at the professional level, was able to retire a champion.

MedRound.thumb.png.2203f65a34b5e96b410cba7e8e00480e.png

2 people like this

USA! USA! USA!

Fantastic series it was...nice to see that Johnson was able to retire as a champ at last.  Already I'm ready for '96 and not only whichever former Soviet states will field their own teams, but also for the Czech Republic and Slovakia's new ones.

(S/N: You had the score listed as Sweden winning 4-3 in the graphic...just a minor gripe, shouldn't take long at all to fix)

USA USA USA USA!!!! 

Man, it's been awhile since I posted on this topic (nearly a year), and your still doing a great job on this. For the expansion, I like Comets/Apollos/Challengers for Cleveland, and Barons/Outlaws for Dallas. 

And also, USA!! USA!! USA!!

28 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

USA! USA! USA!

Fantastic series it was...nice to see that Johnson was able to retire as a champ at last.  Already I'm ready for '96 and not only whichever former Soviet states will field their own teams, but also for the Czech Republic and Slovakia's new ones.

(S/N: You had the score listed as Sweden winning 4-3 in the graphic...just a minor gripe, shouldn't take long at all to fix)

Fixed. I had put the flags in the wrong position according to the seedings. When I corrected it, I forgot to change the score. Thanks for the heads up!

can't be dallas steers, because those are castrated bulls... no one would like that.

as "western" as it is, i've always liked the named "Dallas Revolvers."

I'm so happy to see Jason Crowley win MVP. He's been stuck in Appleby's shadow among the present day greats for too long and I can't wait for him to break out and win another championship for his home state.

On 5/13/2017 at 10:02 AM, CodeG said:

A cow skull? What about Dallas Desparados or Dallas Steer? Can't wait to vote for Cleveland

The Dallas desperadoes actually used to be an AFL team so I don't know if it's fair game but it's a good idea 

1 person likes this

The cow skull can also be used for the Dallas Freedom name whether it has Stars and Stripes or is red white and blue. The logo could be something ambiguous like the Minnesota Wild.

i had a debate with someone before about the use of a name like "dallas assassins."

they said that given JFK's history with dallas, it would be in incredibly poor taste. i counterargued that it was no less appropriate than new york jets.

it just sounds cool. rolls off the tongue...

i'm sort of opposed to names like "dallas freedom" or even "allen americans" in the ECHL... i know dallas isn't austin, but dallas also isn't your stereotypical "texas is a red state" kind of toby keith wet dream that outsiders make it out to be... just being an overtly bush-era-patriotism themed team just doesn't feel very "dallas" to me. i'd almost rather just be a wild west stereotype than that. but that's just me.

my first choice would still be something like revolvers... maybe something mexican themed like aztecs or diablos or something related to sugar skulls would be a unique route to go, too. vaqueros....

it all boils down to my frustration though that i'm anything but a dallas cowboys fan, but think it is the most amazingly perfect cliche name that you could ever rally around. lol.

Since Barons is out (per the rule of no NHL teams after '60s) I'm partial to Dallas Regulators myself...would go well with the cattle skull logo you have in mind (what happens to those who would try to cross them), and is a good tie-in to both Texan history and culture (Old West too) AND hockey (namely, the enforcers therein).

1 person likes this

it's a pretty great bad brains song too.

1 person likes this