hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: 1993 Playoffs

2,073 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, MBurmy said:

Since Barons is out (per the rule of no NHL teams after '60s) I'm partial to Dallas Regulators myself...would go well with the cattle skull logo you have in mind (what happens to those who would try to cross them), and is a good tie-in to both Texan history and culture (Old West too) AND hockey (namely, the enforcers therein).

Played for a youth team when I was 16 called the Utah Regulators.. with such an opportunity with the name they sure screwed up. 

IMG_2960.JPG.f256fd100a9b83f02465a0327fd5c6a9.JPG

not my jersey but this is what we looked like

9 minutes ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

Played for a youth team when I was 16 called the Utah Regulators.. with such an opportunity with the name they sure screwed up. 

IMG_2960.JPG.f256fd100a9b83f02465a0327fd5c6a9.JPG

not my jersey but this is what we looked like

That is a busy logo.

2 people like this

Just so you guys know, I'll be setting up the poll to vote on the Cleveland franchise's name tomorrow morning. I've finally chosen a name for Dallas that I think works really well, that will be revealed along with Cleveland's name in the 1993 off-season. Thanks everyone for your name suggestions!

7 people like this

18 hours ago, hawkfan89 said:

Just so you guys know, I'll be setting up the poll to vote on the Cleveland franchise's name tomorrow morning. I've finally chosen a name for Dallas that I think works really well, that will be revealed along with Cleveland's name in the 1993 off-season. Thanks everyone for your name suggestions!

*clicks "refresh" on the PHL website nonstop*

So the poll is up now, sorry for the delay. I'll list the three names here and why I've chosen them. Please vote in the poll though, the link is below, the poll is in the upper left hand corner.

https://phlnetwork.blogspot.ca/

Rock/Rock 'n Roll - Perfect 90s-style name, great homage to the Rock 'n Roll hall of fame, one of the things the city is best known for.

Metal - Another good one because it both pays homage to the R 'n R hall of fame as well but also gives a slight nod to Cleveland's industrial tradition.

Cosmos - As someone mentioned, there are a LOT of famous astronauts from Ohio (including Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon), and name would lend itself to some really cool logo possibilities.

The poll will be open until Saturday night. Thanks everyone who suggested names, and in advance to everyone who votes!

1 person likes this

No matter what the name ends up being, I'll be rooting for the Cleveland team. Glad to have hockey brought to Ohio in this universe.

1 person likes this

I think if you put Rock, Metal, and Cosmos into a blender, you get the Cleveland Asteroids.

2 people like this

and it appears to be Cosmos in a landslide

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, Darknes said:

and it appears to be Cosmos in a landslide

Well, if the Cosmos win, I'd suggest adding purple somewhere in the color scheme. To me, it represents space and it could also be one of those crazy 90's trends that are starting to occur.

2 people like this

30 minutes ago, Mercy_King said:

Well, if the Cosmos win, I'd suggest adding purple somewhere in the color scheme. To me, it represents space and it could also be one of those crazy 90's trends that are starting to occur.

I agree.  Purple, black, and silver is perfect for the 90s and perfect for the nickname.

5 people like this

13 hours ago, ChicagoOakland said:

I think if you put Rock, Metal, and Cosmos into a blender, you get the Cleveland Asteroids.

A tie seems unlikely now but if it did happen Asteroids would be the name :P

3 people like this

13 hours ago, Veras said:

I agree.  Purple, black, and silver is perfect for the 90s and perfect for the nickname.

How about forum blue instead?

18 hours ago, Veras said:

I'd even go as far as adding a bright red color in that mix!

2 people like this

1 hour ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

I second that though with forum blue instead of purple

On 5/17/2017 at 9:11 PM, Veras said:

On 5/18/2017 at 10:58 AM, New York's Greatest said:

How about forum blue instead?

On 5/18/2017 at 3:38 PM, TheHealthiestScratch said:

This is the 90s so....

Why not all of them? ;)

2 people like this

27 minutes ago, ~Bear said:

This is the 90s so....

Why not all of them? ;)

Those jerseys and logos would look so cramped...

But perfect for the 90's! Possibly purple, black and blue as primaries and red as a secondary?

Sorry for the delay everybody, My wife finally gave birth to our son on Saturday! Needless to say, it's been a pretty hectic few days. Mother and Baby are doing well and '92-93 has been simulated, I'll just need to do the write-up either today or tomorrow. Thanks for you patience guys!

10 people like this

Congratulations! Take your time, being a new parent definitely eats into how much you can devote to other things. 

Congrats on the new rugrat. Speaking of new deliveries, I think we also got a nickname for Cleveland.